16 year old has some questions! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 16 year old has some questions!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #46
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

(Almost) Everything is illegal in utah but they don't really enforce much of it. Every now and then you run into a cop that knows the rules and "tries" to enforce it but generally they don't know. I have never heard of anyone getting caught/trouble with spacers but I know a few tire places (walmart, costco) won't work on your tires if you have spacers.

If I throw mudflaps on before inspection I pass just fine with 35's, sticking passed fenders, and 3.5" lift. If I don't have the flaps on sometimes I am questioned when I get it inspected but it usually passes.

Park City people are a little different and big jeeps/trucks might be looked at differently there, its a subaru/range rover crowd there, so it might be wise to drive over to Heber City to get the inspections done by people who are more fond of the big truck big jeep lifestyle.

Ski resorts are private property so it really is illegal to wheel on them without permission.

duneslider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #47
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

There are some Jeep-friendly inspection places. You can probably find out details in the Utah subforum. I don't think there's anyone else who posts from Park City, but LOTS of Utah County and SLC...and finally a growing number of Davis/Weber/Cache folks.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
There are some Jeep-friendly inspection places. You can probably find out details in the Utah subforum. I don't think there's anyone else who posts from Park City, but LOTS of Utah County and SLC...and finally a growing number of Davis/Weber/Cache folks.
Would I be able to pull off 4.25 backspacing, 17x9 inch rims on my current tires? 255/75/17? Cause those are the rims I can find. Thanks.
nicholasburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A stock rubi has wheels that are 17x7.5, with 6.25" backspace running those tires

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #50
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

So would 17x9 work with my 255/75/17s? With 4.25 backspacing 5 on 5 bolt pattern? All the research I've done says it does. But I just wanna double check. Ordering them tomorrow. Pretty stoked.
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #51
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've only investigated how narrow I a wheel I could put tires on, not how wide. Double check the specs of your tires for how wide a wheel it can go on. Also don't air down a lot or you'll risk losing a bead with that skinny a tire on a 9" wheel.

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #52
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Also don't air down a lot or you'll risk losing a bead with that skinny a tire on a 9" wheel.
Yeah that's going to be an issue so be careful.
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

I actually went with 17x8 cragar soft 8s, thanks though guys.
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #54
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Where'd you buy them? That's what I'm going to get when the OE tires wear out. Discount Tire has the best price I've found so far.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #55
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

So for me I've made quite a bit of money lately, 625 dollars. Nothing to you guys, but I'm 16. So I'm really stoked. in what order should I start my build? It will obviously be a slow one but I'm excited to get started.
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #56
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Since that's well short of what I'd need for my wheels/tires, if I had 600 burning a hole in my pocket I'd get the Trucklite LED headlights. Factory JK lights are junk.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #57
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Trucklites are nice and Northridge has sale on them right now. If you do plan to wheel I'd also thing hard about adding some armor, Diff covers, oil pan and transfer case skids. Ace rock rails.

Unread 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's the key:
Get your Jeep registered in a Jeep-friendly state (i.e. GA, AL, SC...) then bring it back to Utah.
What is legal in one state MUST be respected as legal in another state...Federal Law. Example: My Jeep is registered in Georgia where they have nothing against not having mud-flaps, therefore Utah MUST respect that and can't say **** to me.

Speaking from experience (& relative old age), I'd SAVE that $625 and hold off until I have the money to do it right THE FIRST TIME. Get the money to do the lift and tires first. You'll have more fun with those than lights or armor (provided you avoid Moab for a little while).
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #59
fooddude

Last paragraph above says it all. Wait and do it right!!!

-FD
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #60
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Here's the key:
Get your Jeep registered in a Jeep-friendly state (i.e. GA, AL, SC...) then bring it back to Utah.
What is legal in one state MUST be respected as legal in another state...Federal Law. Example: My Jeep is registered in Georgia where they have nothing against not having mud-flaps, therefore Utah MUST respect that and can't say **** to me.

Speaking from experience (& relative old age), I'd SAVE that $625 and hold off until I have the money to do it right THE FIRST TIME. Get the money to do the lift and tires first. You'll have more fun with those than lights or armor (provided you avoid Moab for a little while).
And when he gets pulled over in Utah and his drivers license has a Utah address he's going to get busted for not registering his vehicle with Utah within 60 days of "moving" here, in accordance with the law. He probably also doesn't have a valid address out of state. We probably shouldn't be pushing underage drivers to break the law so blatantly. It's one thing to cheat on a tire sticking out a little past the mud flaps, it's another to commit fraud (what state is he going to insure his vehicle in?).
Utah Jeep Crew #148

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.