16 year old has some questions! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 16 year old has some questions!

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #31
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

You're welcome to drive it this fall to black mountain in Harlan KY

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Watch out for the Bennett's if you go to Harlan.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Raylan is on speed dial

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #34
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lol
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasburr View Post
My parents are kind of split about getting a lift. They're coming from the side that it decreases the smooth ride, and increases roll-ability.
Keep in mind that some lifts will actually improve the ride quality of your Jeep.

I have the same year and model and once I put the RK 2.5 x factor lift on mine along with 35" tires it improved the way it rides and is now more stable that it was before.
dis_dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Ethics, quality and engineering
First time seeing someone question RK quality, could you maybe elaborate on that?
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasburr View Post
Hi guys,

I live in Park city and have had my 08 2 door JKR for about 3 months, I'm 16 years old. I guess I have awesome parents , I have wheeled it enough to know that I probably should have a winch, because my dad and I usually wheel alone, and some decent armor.

I have a hookup through one of my friends dads that works at a parts department that can get me everything wholesale.

So far I have a list and was wondering the opinions of more experienced people

I want quality stuff, because I would rather have it last then have to get quality stuff when the not-so good stuff breaks.

My list so far includes:

Rugged ridge xhd bumper:

-option 1
light bar with 2 hella 500/kc daylighters

-option 2
stinger
windshield mounted lights

Is a stinger really worth it? sometimes i like the look. but i also sort of feel like it's overboard for me. will i eventually want it? being located in Utah.

Ace Rock rails:

I've heard good things about these and i think they will be good with the stock rubicon rails.

warn VR10000:

A good winch, well made (American) decent price
and allows lots of weight for when i really lift this thing and get some bigger tires.

Finally,

Will all of this extra weight on the vehicle require me to get some sort of leveling kit/small lift kit?

My parents are kind of split about getting a lift. They're coming from the side that it decreases the smooth ride, and increases roll-ability. I was wondering about wheel spacers? do they help with lowering your center of gravity? and are they legal in Utah?

If I were to get a lift I would consider the Old Man Emu 2 inch kit, not sure if I would go with heavy duty or medium for the coils. (I don't want the jeep to sag on the front end, and I want quality, which OME seems to have.)

and does a 2 inch lift look stupid with 31s? cause i don't have the cash to blow on big tires right now.

I'm open to any suggestions of anything really. I've been searching for all of my answers using search function, but I'm not a pro at this and really want to make sure everything turns out ok.

Thank you so much in advanced everyone
THe Rudgged Ridge bumpers look very appealing to the wallet but they contredict your first statement, they may not be the worst product on the market but they are certainly not the upper end.

I would recommend looking into genright bumpers, as they are not the MOST expensive (still pricy) but they are made in the USA and are a great quality.

If your going to add all this weight then you may want to go with the HD OME lift, but as mentioned above the AEV lifts for JKs are amazing products.

A 2" lift would look fine until you could upgrade to a larger tire, you seem to have a solid plan going on, just remember to have fun and enjoy the JeepLife (since neither of us can drink i thought tea was appropirate)

And wheel spacers do not lower your center of gravity but they do widen your stance which in turn does in fact make it slightly more stable, and as far as i know wheel spacers are legal in all states the only thing you may have a problem with would be if Utah has a tire coverage law reguarding tires hanging out past your fenders.

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis_dis

First time seeing someone question RK quality, could you maybe elaborate on that?
I don't like their coils. I think they skimp on and make a low quality coil. I also think their joints are inferior.

To make a dog legged control arm you need to have a bushing at one end. Thing is, you don't need a dog legged control arm if you engineer things properly. It's their way of selling a marketing gimmick and saving a lot of money.

I don't like their suspensions. Ill recommend them over rough country and other crappy suspensions - but I'd push teraflex before them.

Unread 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I don't like their coils. I think they skimp on and make a low quality coil. I also think their joints are inferior.

To make a dog legged control arm you need to have a bushing at one end. Thing is, you don't need a dog legged control arm if you engineer things properly. It's their way of selling a marketing gimmick and saving a lot of money.

I don't like their suspensions. Ill recommend them over rough country and other crappy suspensions - but I'd push teraflex before them.
Ty for the reply.
I still fail to see a good explanation on why RK quality is not top notch, regardless of how you personally feel about the product, I was hoping to see an objective observation or comment on why something they make is inferior and inferior to what ... Like if they were using inferior materials compared to another manufacturer or something like that, but that's just me

Also, do you have personal experience with their product?
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Ill reply with more detail when I don't have to post from a phone

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Get JKS Quick Disconnects if whatever lift you buy does not include them. You will bend/snap those sway bar links EVEN WITH the Rubicon e-disconnect. Trust me, I've bent/snapped three of them just using the e-disco.

My RK 2.5" Max Travel lift comes with quick disconnect sway bar links. But, stupid me was feeling too lazy a couple of times to get out and manually disconnect them. RK lifts are uber-flexy, and when I re-compressed, the sway bar links came back up the wrong way. End-result, two that look like Boomerangs, and one that totally snapped. D'OH!!!

The JKS Quick Disconnects are cheap in comparison to having to get new ones everytime your e-disco doesn't do as planned.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #42
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi! I have another question and didn't want to make a whole new thread for it.

I am upgrading my rims, I like the Pro comp rock crawlers, 17x9, and currently have stock rubicon tires. 255/75/17.
I was wondering what backspacing I should get because I want to eventually lift and get 35s, and I only want to buy rims once, (spacers are illegal in Utah ).
I am NOT lifted as of now.

What I have found from 2 days of reading about this is that I'll want 4.5 inch backspacing. But will the tires stick out past my flares? (my 32s? or 35s in the future?) because utah has laws about that.

Thanks guys!
nicholasburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #43
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Doesnt AEV advertise that thier lift kits maintain factory angles with thier brackets and it improves over all ride quality over stock? Look at AEV and try and sell ur parents on that point alone.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #44
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

easy enough to measure. 4.5" inch backspace on 9" wide wheel, puts you roughly at the midline. Divide your tire width by 2,take of a tire and then measure that far out, my guess is you'll be fine with the smaller tire and will stick-out a bit with the wider tire.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #45
nicholasburr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
easy enough to measure. 4.5" inch backspace on 9" wide wheel, puts you roughly at the midline. Divide your tire width by 2,take of a tire and then measure that far out, my guess is you'll be fine with the smaller tire and will stick-out a bit with the wider tire.
For some reason I said 17x9, I'm getting 17x8. I get how to measure it now though! Thank you.
nicholasburr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.