JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   16 year old has some questions! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/16-year-old-has-some-questions-1554752/)

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 02:28 PM

16 year old has some questions!

Hi guys,

I live in Park city and have had my 08 2 door JKR for about 3 months, I'm 16 years old. I guess I have awesome parents :) , I have wheeled it enough to know that I probably should have a winch, because my dad and I usually wheel alone, and some decent armor.

I have a hookup through one of my friends dads that works at a parts department that can get me everything wholesale.

So far I have a list and was wondering the opinions of more experienced people

I want quality stuff, because I would rather have it last then have to get quality stuff when the not-so good stuff breaks.

My list so far includes:

Rugged ridge xhd bumper:

-option 1
light bar with 2 hella 500/kc daylighters

-option 2
stinger
windshield mounted lights

Is a stinger really worth it? sometimes i like the look. but i also sort of feel like it's overboard for me. will i eventually want it? being located in Utah.

Ace Rock rails:

I've heard good things about these and i think they will be good with the stock rubicon rails.

warn VR10000:

A good winch, well made (American) decent price
and allows lots of weight for when i really lift this thing and get some bigger tires.

Finally,

Will all of this extra weight on the vehicle require me to get some sort of leveling kit/small lift kit?

My parents are kind of split about getting a lift. They're coming from the side that it decreases the smooth ride, and increases roll-ability. I was wondering about wheel spacers? do they help with lowering your center of gravity? and are they legal in Utah?

If I were to get a lift I would consider the Old Man Emu 2 inch kit, not sure if I would go with heavy duty or medium for the coils. (I don't want the jeep to sag on the front end, and I want quality, which OME seems to have.)

and does a 2 inch lift look stupid with 31s? cause i don't have the cash to blow on big tires right now.

I'm open to any suggestions of anything really. I've been searching for all of my answers using search function, but I'm not a pro at this and really want to make sure everything turns out ok.

Thank you so much in advanced everyone :)

spyder6 07-28-2013 03:36 PM

I'd avoid rugged ridge. Give us a price point for a front bumper you're considering and we can guide you.

Otherwise a 2" lift will have a very minimal increase in roll instability. Barely noticeable. And no it won't look stupid.

Consider this

Good winch bumper
Warn winch
Ome or aev 2" lift
JKS quick sway bar disconnects
Ace rockers
Whatever lights guy want

It's a very capable setup that will take you far and easy to build from.

awinski 07-28-2013 04:39 PM

Great choice on rockers first off,
I too would choose a different company for bumpers, but im also biased on genright and poison spyder. A price range will help with that. Stingers are helpful with rocks but you wont need one till you get into some pretty heavy trails. But hey if you want it get it. I love off road evos stinger too
As for lift im a big fan of RK but ome is a wonderful conpany, a leveling kit should have little to no effect, a goos susp. Is a good susp. Either way. Take my word im on rks 2.5" that netted about 4.5" in the front pre winch, I run no rear sway bar and take corners twice as hard as when I was stock.
For wheel spacers check local laws, I also run them and ill tell you I love them, tighten them down and pit on loc tite, youll be fine.
For tires youll be fine for now, bit when the time comes check out falkens wild peak. Out there I assume its mostly rocks, so far im a hige fan and the price is great. If you're skeptical of the all terrain look at the koh winners. Also nitto, toyo, good year, bf, and interco all make amazing tires, along wwith several other companies.
Other than that welcome and all I can say is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder6 (Post 15728196)
I'd avoid rugged ridge. Give us a price point for a front bumper you're considering and we can guide you.

Otherwise a 2" lift will have a very minimal increase in roll instability. Barely noticeable. And no it won't look stupid.

Consider this

Good winch bumper
Warn winch
Ome or aev 2" lift
JKS quick sway bar disconnects
Ace rockers
Whatever lights guy want

It's a very capable setup that will take you far and easy to build from.

Hey Spyder,

Thanks for the response, for the bumper my price range would be around 500 give or take for retail. (I can only actually spend 200-300, 500 is just what full price is), But as I can get wholesale I would like to buy from a brand, and not a member, I'm sorry about that if it was the case.

Thank you guys so much! for the help, I have 3 more questions.

1) if i can't get a lift installed right way, will i have major sag?

2) what specific kits should I get OME HD? or medium, and what AEV, also like awinski said, is RK an option. or is 2.5 inches too instable

3) Are any of these lifts (OME mostly) bigger than 2.5 inches? I've heard of people installing and realizing they have more like 3-4 inches, when they should only have 2.

oh one more quick one. sorry, i know i said three,

What's the point of having the JKS quick discos, when the rubicon has the disconnect? i'm sure there is a logical explanation and i'm a total newb! but its ok, we all need to be a newb at some point.

Sorry about all of this, but thanks for helping!

spyder6 07-28-2013 09:35 PM

Sorry, I read through really quick and didn't see you had a rubi. Nix the JKS discos.

Personally I don't like RK so I would avoid them. You'd be better off retaining a factory ride and pleasing your parents by using AEV. Their suspensions are designed to handle better on the street and off road than stock. They're kinda like the roush for jeeps.

Look at ARBs new stubby bumper for JKs as well as what LOD makes. Buy a quality front bumper.

You should get much sag. Maybe a half inch. I wouldn't worry about it

JLC08JK 07-28-2013 10:07 PM

Wow! spyder is recommending AEV :dunno:

I do like this recommendation and will add that I would use the OME medium coils for a 2 door. Their heavy coils in a 2 door will give more lift that desired and have a much stiffer ride than stock.
Does the AEV 2" kit have springs or spacers? TeraFlex is another good option for either a spacer or a spring lift.
:tea:

tyvanwie 07-28-2013 10:17 PM

Sliders are a great idea, especially if you aren't lifting straight away. Bumper and winch is another great idea. I'd get the HD coils if I were you, just so you know you'll be able to support whatever you put on it.

Lights would be very far down my list. To me, they're a pretty big waste of money. But if you like them, you like them and you can tell me to shut up:D

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15729725)
Sliders are a great idea, especially if you aren't lifting straight away. Bumper and winch is another great idea. I'd get the HD coils if I were you, just so you know you'll be able to support whatever you put on it.

Lights would be very far down my list. To me, they're a pretty big waste of money. But if you like them, you like them and you can tell me to shut up:D

There not a big waste of money for me because some of the places I intend to wheel, I could only get away with doing at night (ski resorts) But I see where you are coming from.

tyvanwie 07-28-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasburr

There not a big waste of money for me because some of the places I intend to wheel, I could only get away with doing at night (ski resorts) But I see where you are coming from.

Illegal wheeling :nono:

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15729776)
Illegal wheeling :nono:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it illegal wheeling, more like being strategic :thumbsup:

just want to do a little bit of exploring, it's not really illegal, just frowned upon.

in all seriousness though I want the lights also because I'm a competitive freestyle skier and there will be lots of long late night drives through mountain passes this winter and I feel more comfortable being able to see what is ahead.

tyvanwie 07-28-2013 10:36 PM

Fair enough. I never do that, which is why they're low on my list.

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15729796)
Fair enough. I never do that, which is why they're low on my list.

Yeah, we get some bad blizzards in the Wasatch where good lighting really comes in handy.

Also, I don't really feel bad driving up PCMR in the late hours because I have given them so much money in the past years from ski passes. Also its not like I'm ruining the land or anything. There are plenty of maintained trails. for some odd reason you just can't use them anymore :confused:

It's a bummer all the good trails are like an hour away.

ancientspear 07-28-2013 10:50 PM

Welcome to the hobby! You're already more well read and open to advice than new four wheelers 3x your age ;) Keep asking questions and planning your build so you don't waste money on things you will replace.

Tanimal 07-28-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder6 (Post 15729500)
Sorry, I read through really quick and didn't see you had a rubi. Nix the JKS discos.

Personally I don't like RK so I would avoid them. You'd be better off retaining a factory ride and pleasing your parents by using AEV. Their suspensions are designed to handle better on the street and off road than stock. They're kinda like the roush for jeeps.

Look at ARBs new stubby bumper for JKs as well as what LOD makes. Buy a quality front bumper.

Don't like RK?!?! I've got a boner for them so please explain..

nicholasburr 07-28-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder6 (Post 15729500)

Hey man,

thanks for all the help, i'm looking at this bumper

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/lod/gro...-jk/group6.htm

looks quality, although one thing I am concerned about is tow points? It looks like there are spots to mount them but i can't tell? Can I mount some D-rings on this bumper? How much should I be paying for D rings anyways?

If I can't put tow hooks on it should I just go for the ARB?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/arb-fro...b-3450400.html

Also do you think I could install this with the help of the Dad, Mom, and the internet? Because getting it done is expensive, and doing it on your own feels better. No one in the house is very mechanically inclined.. but we have a nice socket set, and a decent garage. I would ultimately like to learn how to do everything myself, but just don't know where to start.

By the way you have a sweet jeep.

The time now is 12:58 PM.