14 Sahara unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 14 Sahara unlimited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
physiosurf

14 Sahara unlimited

Looking to put 20x12 fuel wheels with 33inch toyo
2 inch BDS lift kit, fox stabilizer kit , dirt logic shocks .
Wanting to keep the ride as BEST as possible . Will not be doing any off road , just city, highway. Was told best way to go , anyone know better set up? Was told this will be better than stock ?

physiosurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Scrap the steering stabilizer. Your Jeep is brand new so the OEM steering stabilizer is up to the task. Also scrap the Dirtlogic shocks. Who are you getting your info from?

Personally I wouldn't put 20's on either but it is your Jeep. Suggestions: Fox shocks, OEM stabilizer, 15 or 16" wheels with 33's, Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

"WOW"--20x12 and 33" tires-

Can't wait to see that, whatcha gonna chrome ??

Hardtop /fenders same color ?--which is ??

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by physiosurf View Post
Looking to put 20x12 fuel wheels with 33inch toyo
2 inch BDS lift kit, fox stabilizer kit , dirt logic shocks .
Wanting to keep the ride as BEST as possible . Will not be doing any off road , just city, highway. Was told best way to go , anyone know better set up? Was told this will be better than stock ?
Swap the front solid axle for IFS??
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you want it to ride nicely, skip the 20's and stay at 18's max (prefer 17's), the more sidewall, the better the ride.

and do not go with a 12" WIDE RIM (especially on a 33" tire); unnecessary, and looks lame

I love my 2" BDS coil lift, but if you want a soft ride, go with the stock coils and coil spring spacers (budget boost)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

There is a Street Jeep section in the General Technical Discussion forum. You should be able to find some help there.
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

A Prius might ride nice.

Most of us buy a wrangler for off road capabilities. Buying a solid axle rig, lifting it, running 20" wheels and looking for the nicest street ride is sort of a foreign idea for most of us.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
A Prius might ride nice.

Most of us buy a wrangler for off road capabilities. Buying a solid axle rig, lifting it, running 20" wheels and looking for the nicest street ride is sort of a foreign idea for most of us.
What brianjw said.

Honestly, to get the best street ride:
15" or 16" wheels (more sidewall remaining on the tire, the better....more cushion), Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks (very soft if you want them to be), 33"/35" tires, can do 37's with flat fenders & 2.5" lift), stock steering stabilizer (save some money), and a 2.5" COIL lift kit (skip the budget boost ones).

The 20" wheels may look cool on for the street scene, but you will HATE the ride. Too little tire sidewall.
Rule of thumb: Wheel size should be approximately half of the tire diameter. i.e. 35" tire...run 17" wheels, etc.
I run 37's on 17" wheels, and tire pressure about 27psi. Good enough for the highway, soft enough for off-road.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Keep is stock wheels and shocks (no lift) for a nice ride....the engineers knew what they were doing.

(From another Sahara owner)

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark
Keep is stock wheels and shocks (no lift) for a nice ride....the engineers knew what they were doing.

(From another Sahara owner)
Well that's debatable when you start looking at the improperly sized, non shouldered bolts, pushed through square holes in the flimsy suspension mounts. Lol

But yeah, anyway, stock will ride best. You could use simple spacers, but the axles will be offset. Problem with the bigger wheels, you're now stressing weak factory suspension components and steering components (ball joints etc) by using less backspacing. The stock parts don't hold up that way to bigger and heavier wheels and tires. And the ride is going to suffer on 20" wheels. May be fine for a while, but in a couple months or maybe years, you'll be looking for solutions to sloppy handling, death wobble etc.

I would keep lift height to a minimum. Run 285s or something on aev wheels that aren't going to push the tires out as far. Just an idea. Something with IFS is better suited to what you want, modifying the wrangler becomes quite expensive to maintain good handling qualities with bigger tires and stuff.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
johnrussi

Coil Spacers plays important role in vehicles engine and their parts.
johnrussi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.