'14 jk sport 2 door handling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '14 jk sport 2 door handling

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Jeep JK Front axle bushing kitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

'14 jk sport 2 door handling

Recently I bought a 2014 jk sport 2 door. The dealership put a 2 in. Lift on it
With 35x12.5-18 goodyear Kevlar mtr tires. So far I absolutely love it, but since
I bought it, I've noticed that on certain road conditions, I get a bad shake like the tires
Are out of balance. It comes and goes. Here's the wierd part, finally have got some decent
Weather, and got to take the top, and doors off. Now when I go over the same roads, the
Jeep is smooth as a babies butt. I can drive 75 with no hint of tire shake what so ever.
I'm stumpped

cpsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
rich6700

What are the tires inflated to? It should be around 28 to 32 psi.
rich6700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm at 30 psi. Nothing has changed but the top removed along with the doors.
We have rain in the for cast later in the week...gonna have to put the top back on
I'll see if it goes back to the shakes then. It's just odd that I removed the top and it drives like a dream
Unread 06-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
texbiker358
2013 JK Wrangler 

I suspect the top adds rigidity like a sheet of plywood on the back of a bookcase. Without the top the body can twist/flex. That doesn't solve the problem though. I have a 2DR 2013 but I haven't taken the top off.
Unread Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #5
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Maybe when the top is off the ground is dry.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #6
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Happens wet or dry....it's OK I remember when I was a d**k too!
Unread Yesterday, 06:29 AM   #7
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsport View Post
Happens wet or dry....it's OK I remember when I was a d**k too!
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just didn't know if you thought of it.

But at least now I know who the dick is.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #8
heisman01
2015 JK Wrangler 

Rain wouldn't be a factor in steering wheel vibration, did they upgrade the steering stabilizer when they lifted it?
heisman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

What lift did they install on the Jeep?

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think its several things. First the rigidity theory from Tex... but also weight. If you look at tire inflation its a weight to psi balance. You take off the ~300lbs weight - did you adjust the PSI? By itself probably not enough to matter - but when coupled with a "softer" flex can easily take normal road vibration and spread it across more body. From what I can find that is load INDEX tire (as opposed a load RATING tire) - the index is 111 which means it can carry 2403 AT MAXIMUM COLD PSI - used on a 5000 lb vehicle thats 1250 per tire - 1150 (40%) under - so look at the tire and see what is stamped for PSI... and you can go as far as 40% under... a couple lbs may make the difference - next time you have the top back on raise PSI to 35, test and drop psi to 25 and test... could even do that top off to see what direction (if either) brings the vibe to the top off configuration... add to that the tire grows PSI as you drive and that may explain the come and go (there when cold gone when hot or Vice-versa)

14Sport was very correct in wondering if it was wet road - a wet tire is heavier and is working as it channels water - makes a big difference in how it feels. Unfortunately I do see how asking as a statement could easily be seen as a dig - I do that as well - in board discussions I have to work to not come across wrong in a stress situation. Hard to impossible to temper that on a forum... so BOTH of you go the campfire and don't come back until you've kissed and made up.

If you are talking about the 40-60 MPH range - that IS the point where aerodynamics start making an effect as well! At 70 top off you have the box holding air - differing than top on creating a vacuum behind the rig - could be making enough weight difference to sit harder on the tires (or could be the other way as well). And of course that is speculation - until you have seen the vehicle in the wind tunnel it is all just a guess!

Then there is the subjective definition of "bad" vibration. What you may be calling bad is what the next guy just accepts as normal road and tire vibration from larger heavier tires being controlled by shocks setup for the smaller lighter tires...
Unread Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #11
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yes you are totally right...I apologize14sport. ..just took that statement wrong
As far as the lift, shocks, and stabilizer...it's all mopar...the stabilizer bracket
is not a stock bracket...but as far as I know from what I've read, jeep takes a
Terraflex lift and brands it mopar, correct?
Unread Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #12
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jwmbishop, first off, thanks, that is alot of info right there
I have both lowered and raised the pressure in the tires to 25 and 35 respectively
all with the top on, no change in the feeling of the tires. I know the dealership
put balance beads in the tires, and a friend of mine suggested I put the pressure
back to where it was to start. He didn't know if changing air pressure would affect
what the balance beads do for the tire
Unread Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #13
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got to be the tires or the lift. Top on or off has nothing to do with it. Too many variables to get into it. Take it to a reputable shop and have them go over the lift and check balance on the tires. Preferrably with a roadforce machine.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #14
cpsport
2014 JK Wrangler 

the ride changed for the better and the ONLY
Thing I did was take the top off....maybe the lift, maybe not
Honestly I'm not sure....and as far as road force balance...that's not an option
with the wheels I have...no way to put weight on the outside part of the rim
stick on weights, maybe..but still won't be able to balance both planes
which is what you are after when you do a force balance, correct?
Unread Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

That sucks, but still.. I'd get everything looked at. I take the top off of my 2012 JKU seasonally and have absolutely no difference other than a little lighter with the top off. Get it figured out before the vibration actually starts to cause problems. Do you have someone you can swap stock tires with? That would cut the problem in half immediately.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.