14 bolt and HP dana 60 in a JK - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 14 bolt and HP dana 60 in a JK

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #61
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's a few pictures from the rear axle. Also showing off some sick welding skills

and since I'm a man of integrity, I'll even show where I got caught changing position while running a bead and had WAY too much stick out

Anyway, point being, there is a ton of welding surface to cover. Can't go too fast or you'll warp it. Even with a really nice welding rig, you're still welding 3/8" steel when you burn the backbones to the bridge. My axle tubes are 1/2" so when burning the backbones to the tubes it's even hotter. A bit more difficult there as you're welding 1/4" to 1/2" so if you don't increase your travel speed a bit when passing over the 1/4" stuff you can burn through pretty quick. I possibly could have gotten it done quicker, but I was waiting for the welding surface to be cool enough to touch before making another pass.

Artec, thanks for chiming in on this thread. Y'all make some quality parts, everything fit together as it should. Like grown up Man-Lego's!

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #62
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Like grown up Man-Lego's!
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #63
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Like grown up Man-Lego's!
This is going to be one killer ride

But; lego skills are not to messed with no welding or glue, I am a master builder of Lego.
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
What axle are you running that the truss needed to be trimmed?

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Solid 60 if I'm not mistaken

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #66
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTEC

What axle are you running that the truss needed to be trimmed?
It's a Solid HP60. They machine some flat tops on the casting with some 3/8" tapped holes for bolt on link brackets.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #67
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
It's a Solid HP60. They machine some flat tops on the casting with some 3/8" tapped holes for bolt on link brackets.
Cool. Just wanted to be sure. Now I know with some slight trimming the solid axle works. Thanks.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #68
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had a few spare minutes today so I decided to do some work on the Jeep. I am not sure what form of unicorn semen they used to weld the the stock spring perches on the 14 bolt but I hope i never have to cut another set of those off.

Got the rear truss set in at 0 deg with the pinon where i want it.

Spent a while measuring and remeasuring out front and looks like the oil pan clearance is close as well

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #69
Dynomax_Exhaust
Exhaust Experts!
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dude.... I got a gut feeling you will be doing a lot of grinding on "unicorn semen" down the road after you get these in.
Have a great weekend.
Dynomax_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #70
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

did somebody say... Unicorn?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #71
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those axles look great, nice looking welds too. This is a stupid question but being from Michigan (generous amounts of road salt in the winter) I've been trying to wrap my head around painting the artec truss. I'm thinking of getting these for my TJ D44s and I'm just curious to see how they paint up? They are extremely beefy looking though, the axle would likely rust through before the truss!

Edit: my main question here is how do you paint in between the two vertical plates that run parallel with the axle?
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #72
jeepbronco1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty
I had a few spare minutes today so I decided to do some work on the Jeep. I am not sure what form of unicorn semen they used to weld the the stock spring perches on the 14 bolt but I hope i never have to cut another set of those off.

Got the rear truss set in at 0 deg with the pinon where i want it.

Spent a while measuring and remeasuring out front and looks like the oil pan clearance is close as well
Looking good man!
jeepbronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #73
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
Those axles look great, nice looking welds too. This is a stupid question but being from Michigan (generous amounts of road salt in the winter) I've been trying to wrap my head around painting the artec truss. I'm thinking of getting these for my TJ D44s and I'm just curious to see how they paint up? They are extremely beefy looking though, the axle would likely rust through before the truss!

Edit: my main question here is how do you paint in between the two vertical plates that run parallel with the axle?
No different than an axle, control arm brackets, the frame, or any other piece of steel paints. Point a can and spray
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #74
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

You could always pre paint the inside and tape of the edges that need to be welded. Or use wled thru primer. I live in the desert so it takes a long time to rust so ill do my best to get as much paint in there as possible.
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #75
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol

No different than an axle, control arm brackets, the frame, or any other piece of steel paints. Point a can and spray
Haha, well played

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.