14 bolt and HP dana 60 in a JK - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 14 bolt and HP dana 60 in a JK

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 05-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #46
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
Exactly what I'll be doing with mine. I'll enjoy following along.

How have you setup your rear suspension?

I'll be ordering the artec 4 link kit for the 14 bolt
https://artecindustries.3dcartstores...asp?itemid=261

Edit - don't mind me, I read right past it
You will like the 14 bolt combo kit. Thats the one I went with and its a super nice piece

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #47
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post

You will like the 14 bolt combo kit. Thats the one I went with and its a super nice piece
Awesome. I was looking at that and ballistic fab. While we have never had trouble with them in the past, I have read some disconcerting stuff over on pbb
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #48
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Artec is the way to go. Nicest people ever

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #49
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

The Artec stuff is nice, I have their trusses on my 60's. Lots of trigger time getting it installed, expect about 10 feet of welding per axles. It took me at least 6 hours per truss to get them burned on without warping the tubes. Solid finished product though.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #50
Dynomax_Exhaust
Exhaust Experts!
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
The Artec stuff is nice, I have their trusses on my 60's. Lots of trigger time getting it installed, expect about 10 feet of welding per axles. It took me at least 6 hours per truss to get them burned on without warping the tubes. Solid finished product though.
That is some time into the trusses. Didn't realize that much time was involved.
Dynomax_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #51
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Do you have pictures? Every inch of that axle would have to be welded to make 10 feet. What welder are you using that it took you 12 hours? Must be a lot more than I realized!
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

When you add it up, 10 ft is about right. Even more for the front with the full hydro skid. The truss ships as a big box of laser cut parts. Artec uses 2 backbones which each need to be fully welded down the length of the bridge,then placed on the axle and fully welded down the length of the tubes. It also has 4 lateral braces welded between the backbones.

I'll post some pics later on when I'm on my PC, don't have them on this phone. I'm on a miller 211 which is a great rig. You have to factor in lots of cooling time with the total time in the job. Probably only an hour actually on the trigger but with that much welding surface and cranked up to weld to 1/2" tubes it generates a lot of heat.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #53
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

I spent at least 3 hours welding just the trusses and haven't even got to welding them on the axles yet. It is a lot of welding.... and im using a millermatic 252
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #54
ARTEC
Vendor

We have a customer install gallery of most of our parts available on our website now. Click the links below for access to the specific galleries.
Front Trusses
Rear Trusses

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #55
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

I havent done the rear just yet because getting the dam factory spring perches off the 14 bolt is a PITA. I might spend some time working on everything this weekend.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #56
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome, glad to know what to prepare for. Thanks guys.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #57
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I have the miller 211 also. Holding out on moving into my new place with a 220 in the garage so I can crank that sucker up and really burn it in. Doing multiple passes on 110 is a pain in the ***.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #58
ARTEC
Vendor

Regarding the amount of welding, yes these do take some time to weld up but its worth it. The truss construction is solid and we build them for people that are serious about the truss making their axle as strong as possible. If we built it like others, it wouldn't hold up to the rigors our racers put them through. We make them to not only allow for a mounting point for the links but also to strengthen the whole axle. We also wanted to make it affordable and good looking. I can tell you that despite the amount of welding, all we ever get on these trusses is compliment after compliment, not only from racers but weekend warriors too.

Lots of racers trust our trusses to keep them racing and the products they use are available to everyone and you benefit from the rigors of race testing.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #59
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTEC View Post
Regarding the amount of welding, yes these do take some time to weld up but its worth it. The truss construction is solid and we build them for people that are serious about the truss making their axle as strong as possible. If we built it like others, it wouldn't hold up to the rigors our racers put them through. We make them to not only allow for a mounting point for the links but also to strengthen the whole axle. We also wanted to make it affordable and good looking. I can tell you that despite the amount of welding, all we ever get on these trusses is compliment after compliment, not only from racers but weekend warriors too.

Lots of racers trust our trusses to keep them racing and the products they use are available to everyone and you benefit from the rigors of race testing.
I agree. I like the fact they come unwelded because that keeps them affordable and easy to modify if needed. I got 90% of the bracketry from Artec and it was on my door in 48hrs and the cost was minimal.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #60
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Right on. Our miller CP300 should make quick enough work of them...now to start the hunt for axles.

Dirty - how have you setup your rear coilovers and how heavy is your rear (what size/location cell are you running, etc.)? I'll need to send my rear shocks out to be threaded and I think I'll change the valving at the same time, they're just too stiff currently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.