'11 Rubicon Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '11 Rubicon Build

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

'11 Rubicon Build

Thought I'd start a thread since I'm starting the real part of my build tomorrow. Its a 2011 2 door 6spd Rubi and the only mod I've done so far is the RC Stubby bumper caps.

I Just picked up my lift kit, the RK 3.5" x-factor mid arm. I went with the Bilstien 5100 shocks.

Only have one set back so far... The parts store couldn't find my front shocks when I went to pick it all up. I have the 2 rear shocks and the steering stabilizer. They are going to ship the shocks directly to me but it will be a couple days.

So... Will my stock shocks extend enough to fit with the lift? I know I won't have any down travel due to the shocks. Or should I leave the shocks off on the front till they come in? I'll just have a bouncy ride. Either way I won't be able to wheel and test it out this weekend unless they make it here by Friday.

part_1320880527919.jpg  

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Got the lift installed yesterday, didn't take any during pictures, but I have before and after pictures.

The stock shocks would not fit at all so I drove it home on all surface streets while dealing with the bouncy ride. I do need to center the steering wheel to prevent the ESP from activating on slight left turns.

I do have on question though... I've heard that the 3.5" lift is conservative in the amount that it lifts the Jeep, but I think RK might have sent me the wrong springs, I netted 5.7" of lift in the front and 4.6" in the rear. Does this sound right for a 2 door? My front stock springs where 14's and the rears where 56's.
img_7709.jpg   img_7710.jpg   img_7711.jpg   img_7712.jpg   img_7713.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

It is not unusual to have a bit more lift and then the rig settles after a while. The amount you mention though is not in that range. Have you verified the spring's part# with the shop?
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Jon08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, that is a lot of lift, it still looks great though.. Is there a part number on the coils that you can check to see if it's right?
2008 Sahara Auto 2 Door 20,450 miles JKUR Coils and shocks, Magnaflow, Superchip, Banks CAI, Winch, OBA and 4:88's
Jon08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

The part numbers on the springs match the RK web site for the 3.5" springs. Maybe my rig in unusually light compared to others.

My build thread
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
brianwilson222

Wow yeah that's not the right springs but hey chances are they are more expensive for thar much lift so if you like it (I love it) then I would keep it.
brianwilson222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

well, I'll see if it settles in any over the next week.

With the added lift I have to adjust the track bars to get the axles centered a little better. The front is too far to the drivers side, the rear seams dead on though.

Once the shocks make it here I'll test it out and see how it flexes.

My build thread
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would say that the advertised numbers are based on an Unlimited JK. A 2 door JK will get about 1" more lift from the same springs as a 4 door. Your stock light weight bumpers are also a factor to consider.
Given time for settling and the addition of bumpers and winch it should end up within the assumed range of about 4-1/2".
Just my opinion, take it as you will

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

From the looks of the picture of the front fender clearance you got about the same lift I did with my 3.5" from RK. Looks good!

{edit} I didn't take measurements before I did it so I'm afraid I don't have anything to compare to, I'll measure where it sits now next chance I get and include tire size so that should give you a pretty good idea

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Had a chance to flex it a little, not enough to fully stuff the tires though, still had about 3" of up travel left in it.

Looks like I'm going to have rear bump stop issues on the passenger side though.

My build thread
Unread 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
Had a chance to flex it a little, not enough to fully stuff the tires though, still had about 3" of up travel left in it.

Looks like I'm going to have rear bump stop issues on the passenger side though.
I installed the teraflex 2" lower bump stops when I did my lift, it will still fully stuff you rear tire when you're maxed out. Also found that when I approach tipping point the 35's get into the pinch seam and rock rail. I decided I'm going to get the UCS's, and some Wood's drive shafts and use the LCA's to stretch the rear just a bit. I'm going to trim the pinch seam also, but I don't want to worry about doing that until I get my fenders and armor on...

Just realized I owe you some measurements! Jeep is in the shop getting regeared, ect, I get her back wednesday and let you know what I have.

Build Thread

Unread 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I installed the teraflex 2" lower bump stops when I did my lift, it will still fully stuff you rear tire when you're maxed out. Also found that when I approach tipping point the 35's get into the pinch seam and rock rail. I decided I'm going to get the UCS's, and some Wood's drive shafts and use the LCA's to stretch the rear just a bit. I'm going to trim the pinch seam also, but I don't want to worry about doing that until I get my fenders and armor on...

Just realized I owe you some measurements! Jeep is in the shop getting regeared, ect, I get her back wednesday and let you know what I have.
I might have to get a pair of those teraflex rear bump stops, looks like they might be the ticket.

I have a local Jeep shop here that said he could get me a rear shaft made locally with double CV's for a great price, so I'll check that out.

My build thread
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Created my own fix for the RK lower bump stop thanks to my local machine shop since I don't have the equipment to make a nice cut like this.

My build thread
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice... FWIW, with my 3.5" RK, I opted for the Pro-Comp "install" kit. I didn't use all the parts, but did use the bump stop extensions (not really an "extension", but mounts on the surface to limit the travel) and the rear track bar relocation bracket. The bracket that came with my RK required welding, while the ProComp is a bolt-on design.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep
Nice... FWIW, with my 3.5" RK, I opted for the Pro-Comp "install" kit. I didn't use all the parts, but did use the bump stop extensions (not really an "extension", but mounts on the surface to limit the travel) and the rear track bar relocation bracket. The bracket that came with my RK required welding, while the ProComp is a bolt-on design.
Put the RK one on and have it welded. Bolts shear, plus the factory bracket is too weak to handle the added stress of the additional flex, it will bend or break under the bolt on. The RK bracket bolts on also, in the install instructions it just says have it welded before you wheel it hard

Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.