JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   1 person soft top removal? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/1-person-soft-top-removal-1416792/)

Gomofast 09-13-2012 12:44 PM

1 person soft top removal?

Ok, I'm new to JKs so forgive me if I'm being stupid. On my TJ I could put the top up or down by myself, easily. I'm having a really hard time trying to do it by myself on my 2008 unlimited. Am I doing something wrong or is it very hard to do? Any tips would be appreciated.

rlj 09-13-2012 12:46 PM

It just takes practice. I do it all the time when the soft top is on. May need to move side to side a few times or get inside the jeep to lower or raise at certain points......

Gomofast 09-13-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlj (Post 14162211)
It just takes practice. I do it all the time when the soft top is on. May need to move side to side a few times or get inside the jeep to lower or raise at certain points......

Can you describe your procedure? I can't even get the sunrider portion back by myself. I think after that I would be okay.

J33PNSL33P 09-13-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomofast
Ok, I'm new to JKs so forgive me if I'm being stupid. On my TJ I could put the top up or down by myself, easily. I'm having a really hard time trying to do it by myself on my 2008 unlimited. Am I doing something wrong or is it very hard to do? Any tips would be appreciated.

I have no problems taking mine down and puting it up myself. I follow the directions in the owners manual. If you do it in the right order it shouldn't be too hard. Once you do it a couple times you get a system

PhatJK 09-13-2012 12:55 PM

I followed the video posted by Jeep and had no problems the first time using the softtop.

Gomofast 09-13-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatJK (Post 14162258)
I followed the video posted by Jeep and had no problems the first time using the softtop.

What video? I don't have the owner's manual either. Every vid I've seen online shows two people doing it.

PhatJK 09-13-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomofast (Post 14162279)
What video? I don't have the owner's manual either. Every vid I've seen online shows two people doing it.

I got a DVD when I bought by 09 showing one person putting up the top. The Youtube JeepChannel has two people doing it but you can really do it with one person. My 5'6" frame had no problem with it.

Gomofast 09-13-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatJK (Post 14162314)
I got a DVD when I bought by 09 showing one person putting up the top. The Youtube JeepChannel has two people doing it but you can really do it with one person. My 5'6" frame had no problem with it.

Yeah I've seen a vid for putting it up with one person, but it's taking it down that seems troublesome. I guess I'll just keep trying.

paul84043 09-13-2012 01:58 PM

2 dr, 4 dr? Flopping it back or removing completely?
It just takes a couple times. You get the hang of it. I could flop mine back in about 30 seconds, flop it all the way back in a minute or two, and put it back on in about 2 minutes.
Completely off in about 10 minutes, and back on in under 20.

BLK2000TJ 09-13-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomofast (Post 14162219)
Can you describe your procedure? I can't even get the sunrider portion back by myself. I think after that I would be okay.

To lower it by yourself it helps to do it from inside the Jeep lifting from the middle front of the top. I remove the soft top all the time by myself. Once you've done it a couple times its a 3-4 minute job tops.

Gomofast 09-13-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul84043 (Post 14162527)
2 dr, 4 dr? Flopping it back or removing completely?
It just takes a couple times. You get the hang of it. I could flop mine back in about 30 seconds, flop it all the way back in a minute or two, and put it back on in about 2 minutes.
Completely off in about 10 minutes, and back on in under 20.

4 door, flopping it back

it's just so flimsy that when I lift one side, the other side stays put and it feels like I'm going to tweak the metal frame if I keep pulling on it

Gomofast 09-13-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2000TJ (Post 14162534)
To lower it by yourself it helps to do it from inside the Jeep lifting from the middle front of the top...

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Green08 09-13-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomofast (Post 14162197)

The original Supertop was no issue, up or down, easy.

On the NX, which I have been told is exactly like the OEM, I never have an issue lowering it, but pulling it up is another story.

The Supertop NX which has the same hardware as the OEM is tough pulling it back up. I'm not sure if it's the design of the bows or the sunroof.

Just a PITA.

OregonVette 09-13-2012 05:43 PM

I always do mine alone. Just unhook the latches, unclip the drain rails around all four doors, in hook the sail panels (back flappers.)

Here's where you do it... Stand in the middle of the backseat, and lift from front to back. Making little "W" with the folds, plop it in the back and you're done. You can take it down in 3 minutes, all by yer lonesome!

Jeffro3000 09-13-2012 05:44 PM

I've found the easiest way to put it up is to stand behind with the tailgate open. Grab the top and toss the front header bar forward. Keep 1 hand on he top as you walk to front so it doesn't fall back. Fully clip the front header. Secure rear sides, the back and side windows. With the lip on the side windows, only zip 3 or 4 inches, wrap the lip, the zip the rest. I kind of have to support the window with my right elbow while I'm starting the zipper.

The time now is 07:13 AM.