1" body lift vs. 2" body lift FACTS! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 1" body lift vs. 2" body lift FACTS!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Closed Thread
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

1" body lift vs. 2" body lift FACTS!

So i need to get a little more clearance for my jku.

Running 37's, spidertrax 1.24 spacers, 2.5 Rough Country lift, bushwacker flat fenders with automatic trans.
Already have trimmed the pinch seam quite a bit and am still rubbing a little in the rear. I am set on doing a body lift.

Since the price difference isn't much i want to do a 2" body lift instead of a 1". However, after reading on line everyone seems to post "I wouldn't do more the 1" IMO".

Im looking for facts! With reasons to back it up! Why wouldn't you do a 2" body lift compared to the 1"?

- Smittybilt CRES Cargo Net
Kmin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

The higher you go on a body lift, the more stress you're putting on the metal around it. I had a YJ that a previous owner had installed a 3" body lift on. Of the 11 body mounts, 6 or 7 of them were completely worthless...the flex in the sheet metal had ripped right through it so the pucks were sticking out. All of the mounts were damaged to some degree, but like 3 of them were ok-ish.

Here's one of them, this was typical damage:
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
ncb

One inch body lift looks ok.

Two inch body lift looks like ****.
ncb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With a 1"-1.25" body lift, you get the benefits with nearly no side effects. It's noticeable but can be blended in and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. No clearance issues (shifter requires mild grinding or Rough Country shifter bracket), no lengthening of lines and hoses are required.

A 2" really doesn't have any more benefits than a 1"-1.25" but you really start seeing the side effects. The appearance can't be hid/covered up as easy, more clearance issues.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you need a two inch body lift to clear your tires, you were too lazy to do your suspension correctly.
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Body lifts are for Tj's. There is no good reason to do it at 37"s at all. you can do a FLAT belly Jk and not move the body or the motor mounts.

You gain nothing off road, you raised the COG for nothing. Your trouble is the lift you need at least 3" bump stops with flats. The Rough country lift was the first mistake. The drop pit arm they sell and the drop track is a$$ backwards in design.

But from what i can tell sure go with the body lift should fit right in. make you feel tall in the saddle.
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Body lifts are for Tj's. There is no good reason to do it at 37"s at all. you can do a FLAT belly Jk and not move the body or the motor mounts.

You gain nothing off road, you raised the COG for nothing. Your trouble is the lift you need at least 3" bump stops with flats. The Rough country lift was the first mistake. The drop pit arm they sell and the drop track is a$$ backwards in design.

But from what i can tell sure go with the body lift should fit right in. make you feel tall in the saddle.

Typical "JK body lift" ignorance. The bias and lack of overall understanding is humorous.

They do have their benefits and their place even on a JK, but you have to understand how everything CAN work together. You have to go beyond just throwing parts at the Jeep and hoping they stick though.

Quote:

JK's with 35's and 37's can benefit from a Body lift, but 37's are really the point that a JK will start to see the most benefit out of a body lift. Body Lifts aren't just for a FLAT belly.

Quote:
You gain nothing off road, you raised the COG for nothing. Your trouble is the lift you need at least 3" bump stops with flats.
You say that like you think the COG is improved by raising EVERYTHING up and lengthening the bump stops.

Body lifts decrease the COG both at ride height and when the suspension compresses when compared to the suspension lift only needed for a certain tire size. Body lifts allow you to decrease the amount of bump stop needed which also decreases the amount of suspension lift that is needed. This can increase overall suspension travel along with increasing the overall stability when the suspension compresses. It allows for a more balanced suspension than just chasing "droop" because of the loss of compression caused by bump stops. The body lift can also allow for more room for relocating upper shock mounts without cutting into the tub or body. How much benefit you get will come down to more than just throwing the body lift on though.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

HWGA....lol
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
HWGA....lol
This is getting to be as bad as the daily wave threads.

Especially the guys bashing Body lifts who have no experience with one on a JK.

Keep in mid guys not everyone cares about LCOG, maybe he wants to be taller (gasp!)

I do intend on using a 1" BL with my suspension lift, benefits that help me decide is the tire clearance without drive line angles worsening and easier cleaning between the body and frame.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow thanks guys. Lots of good info here. This has been enough for me to decide to go with the 1" over the 2". If you have any more info keep it coming. Could save someone else from making a mistake too!

Side note: To the people feeling the need to point out flaws in my set up or my selection of equipment , I'm more than aware of them. Not everyone can afford to do 4" full long arm kits with wheels and tires all at once. I'm making the best with what I have at the moment.
- Smittybilt CRES Cargo Net
Kmin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

"This is getting to be as bad as the daily wave threads."
First, I am not bashing anything, second, my point is that there are already tons of threads on body lifts pointing out all aspects of the mod...my complaint, if any, is not the daily wave, it is the lack of knowledge of the search function...'nough said. SLADE wrote a series of threads that gives good info on a BL and what needs to be done to do one right on a JK...to the OP, might want to look there for more info. IMO, 1 inch max on a JK...but not from experience, from the looks of what I have seen.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

The search function is frankly crap if you have a free account. The inability to at least limit a search to one section of the site (like the JK subforum) is particularly crippling. To contribute, just use google and include "jeepforum" and "jk" in the search. I've had much better luck this way.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmin View Post
To the people feeling the need to point out flaws in my set up or my selection of equipment , I'm more than aware of them. Not everyone can afford to do 4" full long arm kits with wheels and tires all at once. I'm making the best with what I have at the moment.
If you can afford a brand new jeep and a set of 37's to throw on it, you can afford to do things correctly, you just don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Especially the guys bashing Body lifts who have no experience with one on a JK.
Hope that one wasn't directed toward me. I may not own a jk, but I have plenty of experience with body lifts on JK's.
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok this thread has run its course, closed.
1222 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
body lift , lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.