09 JK Stereo in a 03 TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 09 JK Stereo in a 03 TJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
keabird

09 JK Stereo in a 03 TJ?

I am trying to sell the factory stereo head unit that came in my 09 Wrangler Unlimited. (I replaced it with something better). The stereo is the standard single disc player that came in the X model.

I have had a couple of people ask if it would fit in the TJ Wrangler, specifically the 2003 model. Not having a TJ to check out, does anyone know if the new stereo will fit in that space? Photos I could find don't clearly show if it would fit.

Anyone know?

keabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

most head units come in standardish sizes. during the test drive i had in a new rubi today, i did notice that the head unit is a double din that would be very easy to swap. i would imagine that the wiring harnesses should be the same. it shouldnt be too complicated of a swap. i dont know exactly how it would look, but it should fit.
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
virtual_mage
2009 JK Wrangler 

They will need the oem harness ,metra sell one part 71-6522 and most likely an antena adaptor METRA 40-EU10 both can be found pretty cheap on ebay ect.
virtual_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm not 100% sure it would work. Does the TJ use a bus system like the JK? If it doesn't, I don't know if it'll be backward compatible with the TJ electrical system.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It will not work.
It won't even really fit. (A little hacking and it will, but not easily)

That said, ANYTHING is possible, but it's not practical. The JK's stereo interfaces with the CANBUS, which the TJ does not have.

Tags
jk , stereo , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.