'09 JK headlights are terrible! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '09 JK headlights are terrible!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #76
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone actually have the technical specs for the X-treme Power bulbs? Like: lumens, color, avg. life? Did it say anything on the package? Thanks.

AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #77
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimipau View Post
B_C
where did you buy these Philips Xtreme +80. I've been searching for months to find some.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/been-gone-10-days-jk-mods-637821/

^^^check out my mod thread...the link is in there. i think it was suvlightsDOTcom, but i believe i provided the exact link.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #78
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

i agree with vegas jeep. i'd like to find a way to keep the fogs on with the high beams, but i re-aimed my stock lights and they're great. much better than my wife's xj, even without the fogs. wouldn't turn down brighter ones tho.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #79
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
The lights suck- yes.

Most of my driving is in the city, so it doesn't bother me because the streets are already lit up really good- hell I could drive with no lights and not have a problem. But in the country its another story. Anytime I am in the country at night, I turn on the factory fogs, and they make a big difference since they are lighting up the area immediately in front of you really well.

Of course if I'm in the country an there are no other cars around, I flip on all my added lights
I've got into the habit of automatically switching the fogs on when I switch on the headlights.
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #80
jeb3
2007 JK Wrangler 

I put in the Silverstars a month ago, the difference is unreal!
jeb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #81
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJK View Post
I've got into the habit of automatically switching the fogs on when I switch on the headlights.
I do that too, but lately with all this snow, a lot of people have decided they dont like my hellas. I dont think Ive used them on a public road with oncoming traffic since november.

And theyre aimed just below my low beams.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #82
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Does anyone actually have the technical specs for the X-treme Power bulbs? Like: lumens, color, avg. life? Did it say anything on the package? Thanks.
Found this on another site. Hope it helps (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=813244)
Its manufacturing tolerances have been improved and the filament has been made smaller and burns hotter, similar to +30% and +50% premium bulbs. However, the glass bulb size has also been reduced. The Philips X-Treme Power claims 80% more light output than a regular H7 and 30-50% more light output than other premium bulbs.

Light output is 1,500 lumens, which is in line with other premium bulbs, but the amount of stray light and has been drastically reduced and efficiency increased, resulting in getting the light where it needs to be. Color temperature is 3,400 Kelvin. The bulb is made from quartz glass and the special filament should have normal (2-3 years) and not reduced service life.

I'll get a set (H7) in a while and report my findings.

Click the links:

http://www.xp-lamp.com/more-light.php?lc=en

http://www.xp-lamp.com/original-equipment.php?lc=en
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #83
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

SoCalJK - thanks for the info! I wanted to compare them to the Vision Plus and their regular bulbs, however I canít re-find the link with the specs for those bulbs now. Why canít Phillips just publish the info?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #84
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just before Christmas I installed a set of Cibie 7" headlamps (French company - the lamp is made in Belgium) I got from Daniel Stern. I was getting ready to spend the time between Christmas and New Years wheeling in Moab and still had to install my Hella Rally 4000's so I opted to stay with a 60/55 bulb (no time to install relays). One look at the factory wiring told me that anything more would demand a relay.

At any rate the Cibie lens are glass and the headlight unit weighs a whole lot more than the stock unit. I ran a Narva 60/55 +50 H4 bulb and the difference, with no increase it wattage is phenomonal. The problem with the JK headlights isn't so much the bulb as it's s****y lens. With the Cibie on low the close range spread and illumination is great and the reach of the high beams amazes me. Now I can see that an 85/80 or a 100/90 would do a lot of good with these beam patterns. I think I could get away with running this much bulb because the Cibie lens has a European E pattern and has a sharp cutoff to the left to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I'm gong to install 2 relays and only use the marginal stock wiring to trigger the relays. I'll run 12 gauge straight from the battery to the fused relays and then to the bulbs.

FWIW the 100w Hella 4000's with the Cornering Beam lens do a great job off road and when I lit them up on a loney stretch of freeway (along with the highbeams) - Wow! The cornering beam has about a 300 yard reach but is almost as wide as a fog beam.

As an aside on the headlights. I could never get the stock JK's adjusted so that they functioned OK on both Low and High beams. If one was good the other was bad. One night my wife commented that we got flashed as often on low beam as high. The beauty of the Cibie is the the patterns are cut into the glass such that when the lows are properly aimed the highs are too. The problem with Hella replacement lens is that like the stock JK lens the there is too much vertical displacement between the high and low beams. I know it's more money than just throwing a supposedly brighter bulb in the JK headlight but I think it's a much better solution. The headlights are 75 each, the bulbs 19 each and you need an adaptor set from Ford (about 90) to convert from the stock H13 socket to H4 - total is about 280. If you want to go to a higher wattage bulb figure another 30 to 50 for relays. I think this is the "elegant" solution to the JK's headlight problem.
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #85
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

this thread is worthless without pix, and not of a lit up wall either. we need output shots, with something in the frame for scale.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #86
pm203
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck45 View Post
Just before Christmas I installed a set of Cibie 7" headlamps (French company - the lamp is made in Belgium) I got from Daniel Stern. I was getting ready to spend the time between Christmas and New Years wheeling in Moab and still had to install my Hella Rally 4000's so I opted to stay with a 60/55 bulb (no time to install relays). One look at the factory wiring told me that anything more would demand a relay.

At any rate the Cibie lens are glass and the headlight unit weighs a whole lot more than the stock unit. I ran a Narva 60/55 +50 H4 bulb and the difference, with no increase it wattage is phenomonal. The problem with the JK headlights isn't so much the bulb as it's s****y lens. With the Cibie on low the close range spread and illumination is great and the reach of the high beams amazes me. Now I can see that an 85/80 or a 100/90 would do a lot of good with these beam patterns. I think I could get away with running this much bulb because the Cibie lens has a European E pattern and has a sharp cutoff to the left to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I'm gong to install 2 relays and only use the marginal stock wiring to trigger the relays. I'll run 12 gauge straight from the battery to the fused relays and then to the bulbs.

FWIW the 100w Hella 4000's with the Cornering Beam lens do a great job off road and when I lit them up on a loney stretch of freeway (along with the highbeams) - Wow! The cornering beam has about a 300 yard reach but is almost as wide as a fog beam.

As an aside on the headlights. I could never get the stock JK's adjusted so that they functioned OK on both Low and High beams. If one was good the other was bad. One night my wife commented that we got flashed as often on low beam as high. The beauty of the Cibie is the the patterns are cut into the glass such that when the lows are properly aimed the highs are too. The problem with Hella replacement lens is that like the stock JK lens the there is too much vertical displacement between the high and low beams. I know it's more money than just throwing a supposedly brighter bulb in the JK headlight but I think it's a much better solution. The headlights are 75 each, the bulbs 19 each and you need an adaptor set from Ford (about 90) to convert from the stock H13 socket to H4 - total is about 280. If you want to go to a higher wattage bulb figure another 30 to 50 for relays. I think this is the "elegant" solution to the JK's headlight problem.
Did the Cibies plug right in or did you need an adaptor?
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #87
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
this thread is worthless without pix, and not of a lit up wall either. we need output shots, with something in the frame for scale.

then buy some lights and take some pictures

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #88
pm203
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just would like to know the best headlight upgrade without messing with any wires. A simple unplug and plug in would be ideal.Thanks!
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #89
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
I just would like to know the best headlight upgrade without messing with any wires. A simple unplug and plug in would be ideal.Thanks!
The Cibie's are H4's and as I recall the stock JK is H13's. I used an adapter from the Ford dealer parts dept. You can build your own adapters for less. There probably something that is a simple plug and unplug but I'm not aware of what it is. The problem with the JK headlights is the headlamp itself, not the bulbs. The headlamp is just a cheap piece. That's a shame to as the 7" round is supposedly the easiest light to do right.
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #90
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Phillips Visionplus +80 H13 from SUV Lights dot com.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.