'09 JK headlights are terrible! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '09 JK headlights are terrible!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #61
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
i'd like to see a comparison personally. install one side, than hook us up with some pix. cover one bulb, take pic, cover other bulb, take pic, then post for all to enjoy.
as promised: (couldn't believe i had to take off the grill to change the bulbs.

before

after

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #62
crankinaway

What lights are those you are showing?
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #63
JMP8562

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfamiglia View Post
I have many vehicles in the past and it seems that my new '09 JK lights are terrible. I haven't taken it out in the rain since this week and by golly, I could not see my light shined on the wet surface at all. I can see the light from other vehicles next to me. For goodness sake, it is 2009 model! My 03 Mazda has much better light in the rain.

Does anyone know if the OEM fog lights help!? My X does not come with them.
i also plan on upgrading to the delta headlights conversion quad bar i just orderd the new sky bar from delta it has been on backorder for 2 weeks so i spoke w/delta i guess they had problems with glare now they have a defuser for them http://www.quadratec.com/products/12010_601.htm
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #64
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP8562 View Post
i also plan on upgrading to the delta headlights conversion quad bar i just orderd the new sky bar from delta it has been on backorder for 2 weeks so i spoke w/delta i guess they had problems with glare now they have a defuser for them http://www.quadratec.com/products/12010_601.htm
Way too much money IMO. Get me some square stock and some long range rectangles and Im good to go.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #65
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankinaway View Post
What lights are those you are showing?
Philips x-treme +80's vs the stock ones i just took out...

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13

Last edited by b_c; 11-27-2008 at 08:40 PM..
Unread 11-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #66
crankinaway

What is the typical distance from the wall to set you headlights? I see you used 25'.
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #67
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankinaway View Post
What is the typical distance from the wall to set you headlights? I see you used 25'.
i don't know, i saw a lot of people use 25'...so that's what i did

...but i'd say you'd want the top of your beam to be about ~36" at 25'.

b_c

Unread 11-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #68
CDNBEAR2009JEEP

I can understand using a brighter bulb, for visibility, but not to blind other drivers out there. I had Silverstar Ultra Night Vision, in my XTRAIL, and I was getting flashed. Mind you, those flashes were few and far between and for argument sake, maybe it has been awhile since they have driven in the dark. Those bulbs were only 4100K, they were aimed properly, and they gave excellent visibility.
Unfortunately, I see too many aftermarket bulbs that are too bright because some people could care less that you are being blinded. I am talking about the bulbs that are over 6000K. It is even worse when you are blinded in the daytime, let alone at night.
With the addition of fog lights, you should have no problem seeing the trails at night or during low visibility (fog, snow, etc.). But, it is courteous to leave those extra lights off, especially when there is no need for them.
When I upgrade my bulbs, I will go with the Silverstar Ultras because they gave me lots of light, and they were somewhat gentle on opposing drivers.
CDNBEAR2009JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #69
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNBEAR2009JEEP View Post
I can understand using a brighter bulb, for visibility, but not to blind other drivers out there. I had Silverstar Ultra Night Vision, in my XTRAIL, and I was getting flashed. Mind you, those flashes were few and far between and for argument sake, maybe it has been awhile since they have driven in the dark. Those bulbs were only 4100K, they were aimed properly, and they gave excellent visibility.
Unfortunately, I see too many aftermarket bulbs that are too bright because some people could care less that you are being blinded. I am talking about the bulbs that are over 6000K. It is even worse when you are blinded in the daytime, let alone at night.
With the addition of fog lights, you should have no problem seeing the trails at night or during low visibility (fog, snow, etc.). But, it is courteous to leave those extra lights off, especially when there is no need for them.
When I upgrade my bulbs, I will go with the Silverstar Ultras because they gave me lots of light, and they were somewhat gentle on opposing drivers.

They make SS ultras in H13? Ive been searching the stores for months and have found nothing. Only the standard SS's.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #70
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone probed the volts at the headlight socket? Just curious if I can benifit from building a harness and running heavier guage wire/relays from the alternator.

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #71
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
.. If you can find the Phillips Visionplus (+80), go for it; they whale on anything else in this category that is legal to use...
Do you think the Phillips X-Treme and the Phillips VisionPlus (+80) are the same thing? I can't find a VisionPlus (+80), but they do have the X-Treme (+80).

I've attempted to get the technical specifics on the X-Treme (lumens, color, etc.) from Phillips but they can't seem to find it anywhere.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:07 AM   #72
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Do you think the Phillips X-Treme and the Phillips VisionPlus (+80) are the same thing? I can't find a VisionPlus (+80), but they do have the X-Treme (+80).
yes, you have located the right bulb.

b_c

Unread 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #73
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

As long as it has the EDOT cert and is clear; it it's tinted, it's crap....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #74
Mimipau

B_C
where did you buy these Philips Xtreme +80. I've been searching for months to find some.
Mimipau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #75
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

at most Ill change my bulbs. I personally do not think the Jeep lighting is all that bad.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.