'09 JK headlights are terrible! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '09 JK headlights are terrible!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #46
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Hilldweller, how big of an improvement are the vision plus bulbs over stock? Is the beam pattern really changed that much? How about intensity?
A full 25% more USABLE light.

Again, please don't let yourselves be fooled by the "wow factor" of some lights. Just because a bulb or full assembly has the ability to make lots of bright light, doesn't meant that it will benefit you in terms of actually seeing. Glare is bad; you need to be able to focus.

As for driving faster than 55 at night, the roads around here don't afford that opportunity, even in my Mini. Unless I'd like to spend eternity with a mangled deer...
On highways I feel safe at the speed limit. With the Hellas and highbeams burning, I feel like Ironman.

Regarding the Cibies, I've never seen them in action. But if Stern endorses them, they work. He's never been a product whore so I trust his word.
It's just that they're not on my customer list (that I know of...).

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #47
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
You'd have to replace the entire reflector for it to work and be close to legal. And, for what it's worth, you still won't see the road as well with HID lighting in adverse weather.
you bet you'd get rid of the stock reflector. you'd be using a projector assembly. and i agree with all but the final statement. i'm talking about using oem components at a color temperature of 4300k, not some goofy ebay purple lights nonsense. when i had my srt, i had a bixenon retro done. a pair of audi RS6 projectors and a bunch of custom work were giving me a beam pattern like this:

anyway, it'll run you about 600 in parts, plus a set of jeep headlights to modify. but that's all oem components. check out the forums at HIDplanet.com. just seems like no one's really considered the option.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #48
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
you bet you'd get rid of the stock reflector. you'd be using a projector assembly... i'm talking about using oem components at a color temperature of 4300k, not some goofy ebay purple lights nonsense.
Not too many people do it the right way though...
I see lots of (squinting) people running around here with 9000k purple haze lights.
No matter the temperature, I still don't see as well with HID headlights (legal ones). I had them on one of my Minis and I never adapted to them.
I'm still waiting for the LED revolution to be complete; they're just so efficient and perfect...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #49
Matts02
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts02 View Post
I am actually pleased with light when the low beams and fogs are on, but the brights really suck. I am thinking about getting the phillips X-treme bulbs.....I just can't find them anywhere.
http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_e...motive&lang=en
They came in yesterday and are a huge improvement over stock. I went out driving on a rural road tonight and was really impressed. I recommend these to anyone.
Matts02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #50
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I'm still waiting for the LED revolution to be complete; they're just so efficient and perfect...
I LOVE the new LED light bars. SO intense, and pure white too. But....I see no reason why these things are $1200+ right now. $500?...I might go for it. 250?...Id be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake.

For right now...I guess I'll just stick with my $100 130w KC's.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #51
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Id be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake
start cooking...

...found a "headlight" led setup for $11

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #52
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
start cooking...

...found a "headlight" led setup for $11

b_c
SOLD!

But see, thats what Im talking about in reference to cost with those big bars. I have a 4 watt surefire knock off (single LED) thats as bright as my conventional 12v surefire....and it cost less. Why cant we have those ultra intense LED's available for less than my entire paycheck?

http://www.teakatoys.com/Xmitter_Xtr...vx-xil-800.htm
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #53
michaelmjc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine suck ***, def need to upgrade them soon.
michaelmjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #54
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

where'd you find that headlamp? i'm in the market.

Unread 11-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #55
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
where'd you find that headlamp? i'm in the market.
What I have decided to order is the "Cibie H4 Headlamp 7" Round" for 74.95 from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html - scroll down a bit. I'll probably go with one of his +50 H4 bulbs.

I'd suggest Googling Cibie and then follow links, mostly to other forums (RR, Bronco, various auto forums) and read the comments. The constants are everybody loves the Cibie's, the Hella's have a loussy pattern with the high and low beams having too much vertical divergence, the Marschals are great but too much money, most Chenese stuff is garbage, and anything "blue" is lousy as it only looks brighter because of glare but doesn't help you see better.

I did re-aim my stock bulbs (piece of cake by the way) and it did help but I think the real answer is a new headlamp with a proper pattern built in.
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #56
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

i'd like to see a comparison personally. install one side, than hook us up with some pix. cover one bulb, take pic, cover other bulb, take pic, then post for all to enjoy.

Unread 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #57
JeepersCr
2007 JK Wrangler 

No kidding!

My JK's headlights were aimed much too high from the factory. People constantly flashed at me thinking my lights were on "bright". Now they're aimed down but offer insufficient distance light (on low beam) to be totally safe (Wild horses like to stand in the middle of the road at night around here. Someone should tell them to find somewhere else to hang out!).
Also, when you switch high and low beams, you'll notice the lights brighten up, delay, then change beam; pretty unusual. Fog lights do help!
JeepersCr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #58
TexsDream77
2008 JK Wrangler 

most of our JK's headlights are adjusted too high if you have the hard top on. Especially on the 4 doors. But, they still are lacking. Add driving lights. Just bolt them on top of the bumper.
TexsDream77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #59
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i'd like to see a comparison personally. install one side, than hook us up with some pix. cover one bulb, take pic, cover other bulb, take pic, then post for all to enjoy.
i'll hook you up when i get mine in next week.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #60
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersCr View Post
My JK's headlights were aimed much too high from the factory. People constantly flashed at me thinking my lights were on "bright". Now they're aimed down but offer insufficient distance light (on low beam) to be totally safe (Wild horses like to stand in the middle of the road at night around here. Someone should tell them to find somewhere else to hang out!).
Also, when you switch high and low beams, you'll notice the lights brighten up, delay, then change beam; pretty unusual. Fog lights do help!
Thats because the H13 is a dual filament bulb. When you activate your high beam switch, the computer first illuminates the desired filament, and then shuts down the other. I have yet to figure out why.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.