'09 JK headlights are terrible! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '09 JK headlights are terrible!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 11-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #31
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I've just spent the past 3 hours googling and reading posts on RR, old Bronco, Toy sites and wherever clicking on links took me. The result is that I'm going to call Daniel Stern and order a set of Cibie's from him. Everybody seems to love the beam pattern and the quality is held to be top notch. I'll probably get whichever H4 bulb he recomends.

08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #32
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine seem to work pretty good. If all else fails buy a roof rack with multiple kc sport lights....
Unread 11-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #33
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck45 View Post
Well I've just spent the past 3 hours googling and reading posts on RR, old Bronco, Toy sites and wherever clicking on links took me. The result is that I'm going to call Daniel Stern and order a set of Cibie's from him. Everybody seems to love the beam pattern and the quality is held to be top notch. I'll probably get whichever H4 bulb he recomends.
H13 will fit. H4 would need an adapter.
Listen to Daniel Stern; he knows his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjj View Post
how do you adjust them?
T15 Torx, long handle. The screw is at 10:00 on the passenger side and 2:00 on the driver side.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #34
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Well, in the tech manual, theres instructions on how to create a pattern on a wall to aim your lights properly, but I just use common sense.

I took my jeep to a quiet paved road in the night, and adjusted them to where they looked the best. Low enough to where it wont blind anyone, and high enough to see at least 3-5 seconds ahead of you at highway speed. I also took into account where the high beams were aimed as well, since before I re-aimed them, whenever I turned on the high beams it looked like I turned the lights off. Thats how far in the sky they were aimed.

I did the same thing last night. Got the lows on the ground and the highs came down into a position that actually renders them truly usefull. I can't believe how much downward adjustment they needed.

I shouldn't have waited so long to do the adjustment. I kept telling myself the dudes at the factory know where they should be set right?
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #35
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

you can pop the grille off if you don't have a long handle torx. only 6 plastic screws, then you pull the liner the screw was in, out. there are 4 spring clips at the bottom of the grille, and one on each side by the blinker. they just pull out, but be careful. takes an extra 2 mins. but a long handle torx would be the way to go.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #36
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
Has anyone done the Delta conversion yet? Its one of those things I keep putting off - really waiing for reviews.

Yes, headlights on the JK are brutally awful. PIAA's were on of the 1st mods on mine
You mean the HIDs or the regular quad bar?

The HIDs may be nice, but I'll never know until GE2 decides to try them. I'm not dropping $1200 on headlights.

The other ones, the stock replacements, are garbage. I bought em and hate them. Lighting isn't any better, just "whiter", and they look fart can Civic cheap.

BTW, tried using replacement LEDs as well on the stock fogs. Also a complete waste of money. Stopped working like fog lights and instead became marker lights.
Unread 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
rjjj
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the how to info guys!

Adjusted mine early this morning, and I think I made one or two drivers I pass every morning very, very happy!
rjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #38
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
H13 will fit. H4 would need an adapter.
Listen to Daniel Stern; he knows his stuff.
I'm going to have to call him. I'm under the impression that the H13 bulbs won't work on the Cibie 7" round headlights and that if I want to run that headlight I'll need to run the adaptor. He did send a link to a quality adaptor from Ford parts and said not to try to use a Chinese adaptor. I'll probably go this route as all the searching I've done onthe subject says the beam patterns on the Cibie are much better than the Hella's and anything else out there - with the exception of the Marschal which costs twice as much. It seems that the E-Code Cibie is the best bang for the buck. I'll probably run a 60/55 +30 or +50 bulb as I don't want to add relays at this time.
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #39
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck45 View Post
I'm going to have to call him. I'm under the impression that the H13 bulbs won't work on the Cibie 7" round headlights and that if I want to run that headlight I'll need to run the adaptor. He did send a link to a quality adaptor from Ford parts and said not to try to use a Chinese adaptor. I'll probably go this route as all the searching I've done onthe subject says the beam patterns on the Cibie are much better than the Hella's and anything else out there - with the exception of the Marschal which costs twice as much. It seems that the E-Code Cibie is the best bang for the buck. I'll probably run a 60/55 +30 or +50 bulb as I don't want to add relays at this time.
Why don't you try getting either the Narva Silverstar H13 (not Sylvania!) or Phillips VisionPlus H13 and aiming them first? They are both +50 bulbs and 1250 lumens ---- vastly superior to the stock lights. And both are within the color temperatures ideally suited for human vision.
Really, it will be a big improvement and then you can throw your money at sensible auxiliary lights too.
SUVLights.com has bulbs at a good price.

I have the Phillips VisionPlus and a pair of Hella 500's; rural Georgia is DARK at night and I have no problem on the forest service roads at night with this $110-total set up.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #40
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

did anyone consider retrofitting a set of bixenon projectors in the stock housings? you'd have xenon high/low beam, sharp cutoff so people would stop flashing their lights at you, extra wide beam pattern to see deer/rednecks stumbling onto the road.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #41
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
did anyone consider retrofitting a set of bixenon projectors in the stock housings? you'd have xenon high/low beam, sharp cutoff so people would stop flashing their lights at you, extra wide beam pattern to see deer/rednecks stumbling onto the road.
You'd have to replace the entire reflector for it to work and be close to legal. And, for what it's worth, you still won't see the road as well with HID lighting in adverse weather.

I'm being as honest as possible without being rude. The car companies match bulb to reflector and they do a pretty good job at it. Different types of bulbs won't throw their light correctly....
The companies that make the bulbs are customers of the company where I work. They use our equipment and visit my training facility; I can often talk to them and pick their brains. That's how I know Daniel Stern's website is so good.

The easiest thing to do is just swap the stock H13 for a better one, not a blue one. That means no Sylvania Silverstar, no PIAA, none of the lowrider junk.
Then add the supplemental light of your choice. Again, if you're going to use the bulbs offroad in bad weather, don't make those bulbs blue either; the blue light will refract off rain/fog and dazzle your eyes. Light temperatures that are too hot also reflect oddly off of street signs.

Unread 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #42
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJK View Post
I bumped up to Phillips Extreme Power, recently released, and the difference is definately noticeable. Not quite as good as my wife's Honda, but I'm now getting flashed consistently by oncoming traffic, which I consider a good sign. And visibility has increased dramatically. They are listed on my receipt as H13 9008. See below:

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=81
just bought those today...should have 'em hopefully by next week. how fast was your shipping? where are you located...i think it said they were shipping from cali.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #43
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hilldweller, how big of an improvement are the vision plus bulbs over stock? Is the beam pattern really changed that much? How about intensity?

Right now, Im using a set of hella 500's to supplement my stock lights. I cant stand driving anywhere the streets arent lit with the stockers alone. I honestly dont feel safe at speeds over 55. The beam pattern is rather short. And if I tilt them up anymore, the high beams become useless.

I LOVE the output of the hellas. Very crisp white light within its sharp euro beam pattern. But they project too narrow to be used by themselves.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #44
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Hilldweller, how big of an improvement are the vision plus bulbs over stock? Is the beam pattern really changed that much? How about intensity?
the +50's say you can get 50+ft of distance...the +80's i would imagine are 80+ft

check out wwwDOTphilipsDOTcom i think that'll be your best source for info.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #45
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Why don't you try getting either the Narva Silverstar H13 (not Sylvania!) or Phillips VisionPlus H13 and aiming them first? They are both +50 bulbs and 1250 lumens ---- vastly superior to the stock lights. And both are within the color temperatures ideally suited for human vision.
Really, it will be a big improvement and then you can throw your money at sensible auxiliary lights too.
SUVLights.com has bulbs at a good price.

I have the Phillips VisionPlus and a pair of Hella 500's; rural Georgia is DARK at night and I have no problem on the forest service roads at night with this $110-total set up.
I don't want to go that way because I don't think the bulb is really the issue. I think it's more a cheap ****ty headlight with a lousy lens. From what I can gather the Cibie will cure most of the ills regardless of which H4 bulb I choose.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.