'09 JK headlights are terrible! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > '09 JK headlights are terrible!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by versoel View Post
The lights in my JK are a lot better than the lights on my CJ !!!!
I added relays on my CJ and the lighting is much better. Much, much better than my '08 JK

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

I feel like my lights work good, or at least much better than my old '93 Impreza lights did; they just need to be adjusted. I got high-beam flashed 2 times per hour on a drive from Casper, WY to Dallas.

Yeah, I was bored enough to keep track.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
sherghis
2008 JK Wrangler 

The factory lights on my JK sucked so I added a set of driving lights on my bumper. I tied the relay for the new lights in so when I turn on the high beams the new driving lights come on. MY fogs come on with the low beams so I can see pretty well at night. My TJ had better factory lights then my JK does.
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

My low beams were WAY off from the factory. They were aimed like high beams, and the high beams were off in the sky. I re adjusted them, and threw on a set of hells 500's on the bumper. The hellas are on all the time after dusk.

Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #20
Lammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

how do you know if your lights are off set from the factory?

Just wondering how those of you know how your factory lights were offset from the factory?

I know on some of my previous cars there have been marks inside the hood to align your lights, is this where you are talking or are you just using your experience to determine if the lights are off?

just curious, as I have noticed that the lights are weak at best!
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammer View Post
Just wondering how those of you know how your factory lights were offset from the factory?

I know on some of my previous cars there have been marks inside the hood to align your lights, is this where you are talking or are you just using your experience to determine if the lights are off?

just curious, as I have noticed that the lights are weak at best!
Well, in the tech manual, theres instructions on how to create a pattern on a wall to aim your lights properly, but I just use common sense.

I took my jeep to a quiet paved road in the night, and adjusted them to where they looked the best. Low enough to where it wont blind anyone, and high enough to see at least 3-5 seconds ahead of you at highway speed. I also took into account where the high beams were aimed as well, since before I re-aimed them, whenever I turned on the high beams it looked like I turned the lights off. Thats how far in the sky they were aimed.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Well, in the tech manual, theres instructions on how to create a pattern on a wall to aim your lights properly, but I just use common sense.

I took my jeep to a quiet paved road in the night, and adjusted them to where they looked the best. Low enough to where it wont blind anyone, and high enough to see at least 3-5 seconds ahead of you at highway speed. I also took into account where the high beams were aimed as well, since before I re-aimed them, whenever I turned on the high beams it looked like I turned the lights off. Thats how far in the sky they were aimed.
Mine were the same way...I just went out to adjust them. Will check them tonight for alignment now that I know where the screws are.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

Unread 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone done the Delta conversion yet? Its one of those things I keep putting off - really waiing for reviews.

Yes, headlights on the JK are brutally awful. PIAA's were on of the 1st mods on mine
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammer View Post
Park your rig 25 feet from a nice wall and put a piece of masking tape 2.5 to 3 inches lower than the center height of your headlight. Your beam pattern should just hit the top of the tape.
Need to approximate your average load in the Jeep to make it accurate....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
rjjj
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Park your rig 25 feet from a nice wall and put a piece of masking tape 2.5 to 3 inches lower than the center height of your headlight. Your beam pattern should just hit the top of the tape.
Need to approximate your average load in the Jeep to make it accurate....
how do you adjust them?
rjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
GunnerJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bumped up to Phillips Extreme Power, recently released, and the difference is definately noticeable. Not quite as good as my wife's Honda, but I'm now getting flashed consistently by oncoming traffic, which I consider a good sign. And visibility has increased dramatically. They are listed on my receipt as H13 9008. See below:

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=81
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #27
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

I read somewhere that the Marschal, Cibie and Hella lights wee the best - in that order - and pardon my spelling. But I can't find any good info on them or where to buy them. I don't care for my lights either - though part of it is probably my fault as I am sitting level as opposed to nose down by an inch and my lights are probably pointing skyward. I better get out and take care of that.
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck45 View Post
I read somewhere that the Marschal, Cibie and Hella lights wee the best - in that order - and pardon my spelling. But I can't find any good info on them or where to buy them. I don't care for my lights either - though part of it is probably my fault as I am sitting level as opposed to nose down by an inch and my lights are probably pointing skyward. I better get out and take care of that.
Google Daniel Stern Lighthing
terrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #29
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJK View Post
I bumped up to Phillips Extreme Power, recently released, and the difference is definately noticeable. Not quite as good as my wife's Honda, but I'm now getting flashed consistently by oncoming traffic, which I consider a good sign. And visibility has increased dramatically. They are listed on my receipt as H13 9008. See below:

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=81
It's probably not a good thing you're being flashed by other people...usually that means that you're blinding them. It's not the safest thing in the world. You could cause an accident doing that. Get your lights adjusted correctly and you'll be even more satisfied.

Unread 11-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #30
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

adjust them down, makes a big difference. my highbeams are functional now. has anyone tried retrofitting an HID projector setup into the stock housing?

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.