08 Wrangler manual - ticking rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 08 Wrangler manual - ticking rattle

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
The_Colonel

08 Wrangler manual - ticking rattle

Hi guys,

I've noticed I've got a 'tick/rattle' sound in my manual. It happens only when in 2nd, 4th and 6th, but is most pronounced when in 4th.

The vehicle has travelled 102 000kms (which is about 63 000 miles on the silly scale). The sound is only there when the accelerator is pressed. If left in 4th there is eventually a smell like wiring overheating.

Was wondering if anyone has heard of this problem before, and if so, what the possible causes are. Am I going to have to replace a clutch or could it be something minor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

The_Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have that same sound but no burn smell. Never have been able to figure it out.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
The_Colonel

Hi Col sorry for the late reply.

Thanks, I gathered that a few people have had the problem before.

Anyone else out there got any advice? Just so if in future someone comes looking and finds a thread with not much help (we've all been there)
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like it's the famous driver side exhaust manifold crack. My 08 did the exact thing at about 40k on it. Easy to fix pull the heat shield off manifold and you will be able to see the crack very easy. Let us know what you find.
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

its more of a rattle from the transmission. Mine I can sometimes feel it in the shifter. Ive seen manifold cracks before and they were different.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
The_Colonel

Thanks Walt I will look into that, but as Col said, it's definitely a transmission thing. As I mentioned, it only happens in 2nd, 4th and 6th. I'm not mechanically minded, so hoping that might be a clue to someone more savvy than I am.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.