08 Unlimited X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 08 Unlimited X

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
93civEJ1

08 Unlimited X

So,

I have over the past couple months became interested in the Jeeps. More so the new rubicons. I currently have a 09 Toyota Tacoma 4 dr TRD Off road with a 6" drop bracket lift and 37" tires. It doesnt see much off road. Its a very nice vehicle..but im always looking to trade for some reason. Suddenly a jeep has been crossing my mind...not sure why exactly..something about them interests me.

My mom's work has a 08 Unlimited X with like 45k on it. It doesnt have power windows etc, but it looks to already have a lift of some sort, and 35's and tires from what I can tell in pics. Now since I like to modify stuff, I am wondering if this may be something I should consider? If I could get my payments cheaper than I currently pay (wife wanting a child before too long) then this vehicle , if its very capable to mod and offroad may be a thought. Thoughts?

93civEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
93civEJ1

this is it...worth looking at??
7063199261x640.jpg  
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

Kinda hard to say from the picture. It looks nice but you don't really know what the person did to as far as upgrades. If it has 35s and the owner didn't upgrade the gears that would need to upgraded to have it run more efficiently. Also what kind of axels. I'm not sure what the x edition has but I would assume a Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
93civEJ1

I just went to look at it since moms work is closed. Looked nice. I looked underneath, it didnt look like it had been wheeled much no gashes or dings on the underpan i could see.

Did notice it has some sort of rough country kit on it...some front shocks bolted to the front said rough country 2.2 something on them on the stickers.

The hood has a project-jk stickers on the hood.

The only thing i dislike is manual windows. :/
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Drmudgood
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
this is it...worth looking at??
Worth looking at? For sure! Thats a beautiful rig.

You gotta ask why its lifted though. If he wheeled it hard you dont know what could be gone or going. If he just lifted it to fit nicer/bigger tires, was it done properly? A r/c lift, quality wise, is middle of the road. I have a 3" RC on my xj, but wouldnt wheel too hard with it. I did it more for accessing the trails I use when hunting/fishing, which are pretty mild, and also to make the rig look better.

If you like to modify your ride, you may want to look for a stocker, especially a Rubicon, and start from there with a jeep you know hasnt been abused.
(rubicon comes with better axels/gears and locking front and rear diff, if you didnt know)
Drmudgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
93civEJ1

If I go and decided to consider this. Is there any certain things I should look for.

I got to thinking. A newer model rubicon is out of my range for now. (I think)
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
jcrawler93

It looks very beautiful you might want to consider changing gear ratios if you haven't. Now something I do recommend, if its going to be your daily drive take those tires off and put some better ones. Those nittos are going to be freaking loud.
jcrawler93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
93civEJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawler93 View Post
It looks very beautiful you might want to consider changing gear ratios if you haven't. Now something I do recommend, if its going to be your daily drive take those tires off and put some better ones. Those nittos are going to be freaking loud.
meh, can be no worse than my currently daily.

I am on 37 nitto mud graps on my tacoma on stock gearing still.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
93civEJ1

If I find out I can get it at a good deal, what can I look for to see if its still on same axles? I am sure there is no way to tell if its a regear or not either.

Like I had said before the under carriage didnt seem to be scratched up or look very offroaded.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would assume it has the D44 rear and D30 front. You can google what the Differential cover looks like. That's the easiest way to tell.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
93civEJ1

yeah, I ended up looking that up.

Doesnt matter anyway...I just got a call that someone called this morning and put a deposit down and is picking it up right now.

I was in no hurry since I am undecided anyway.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would recommend trying to find one that is stock and performing the modifications yourself (unless you know the person who owns the vehicle and trust their work). Jeeps are incredibly capable vehicles, but if you put the wrong components on them (I wouldn't recommend Rough Country) then they can ride poorly and their capability can be compromised. If you are OK with no power options you may even want to look for a 2012 base model and start there. The new engine (3.6L) is a huge upgrade. In the end it's your money and your decision. Definitely a good looking Jeep and I hope it works out for you either way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.