Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

08 rubicon pops out of gear

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Cavi 
#1 ·
08 4dr 6spd rubicon pops out of first gear 46,xxx miles whats the cause and whats should i do ? is this a frequent problem ? anyone else have this happen.
it doesnt always pop out its more of a random takin off a a red light thing
i did purchase the lifetime powertrain warrantee is this covered ?

#2 ·
I know alot of people used to have a problem with the inner shift boot being too stiff and it forcing it out of gear. But thats usually in the winter time when its colder out. You can always remove the shift boot and trim up the inner shift boot a little bit and it will most likely take care of your problem. And dont worry, the inner boot isnt really used for much so it wont matter if you trim it up a little bit.

#3 ·
I surely won't make any friends with this one...:kiss:

ahhh - yet another manual tranny issue. One more to add to the list.
What's the score now? ...something like 119-2 on the manual vs auto problems reported?

#9 ·
...i can name a lot reasons why i'd prefer a manual over an automatic transmission.

and to the OP...i'd check your inner shifter boot. i had a problem w/ my 2nd gear slipping out a couple of times before i put in the body lift and trimmed the boot. since the boot trim, no problems.

b_c

#12 ·
...i can name a lot reasons why i'd prefer a manual over an automatic transmission.

and to the OP...i'd check your inner shifter boot. i had a problem w/ my 2nd gear slipping out a couple of times before i put in the body lift and trimmed the boot. since the boot trim, no problems.

b_c
I can name a lot of reasons why I'd prefer a manual too, but bottom line, reliability and problem-free operation have precedence. It was a big pill to swallow getting an auto in my JK, but the more posts I read like this make me so glad I did. I'm not knocking the guys who bought manuals - I'd love to have one - but that means I'd have to not sweat worrying about half the stuff I've read on this forum over the past 2 years.

As for the OP. I had a old VW GTI back in HS that had a blown synchro and it would drop down a lot. I hope all you have is a shift boot issue. If its not intermittent I'd get it looked at ASAP. Other issues are bent shift forks, bad input shaft bearings or maybe a bent linkage.
Does it have a body lift by chance?

To answer ian's question - I think there was a JK overseas last year that posted somehting about tranny fluid igniting, but I thought there were other factors involved that provoked it.

#18 ·
Greenbudz,
I have the same issue with mine popping out of first. When shifting into first sometimes it doesn't go all the way in, hard to explain, but you know what it is if it is like mine. I now just make sure that it is all the way in as it scares the hell out of me everytime it happens.

#19 ·
I have owned both a 07 auto and now a 08 6spd and I like the stick much better for driving twisties and mountains, especially if I am pulling my motorcycle trailer. I was constantly fighting the tranny to keep it in the rpms I wanted it in when it wanted to shift before I wanted to. With the 6sp I keep it where I want it. I am much happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.