08 JKU 50-55 wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 08 JKU 50-55 wobble

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
caddyman82
2008 JK Wrangler 

08 JKU 50-55 wobble

Have an 08 JKU X with no modifications, yet. 68kmiles. Severe wobble or vibration at 50 to 55mph. Feels like its coming from front passenger side. Seems to only do it when its warmer than 20deg out. When its real cold, no problems. Once it starts if I keep a steady speed btw 50-55 it gets worse to the point I can barely hold onto the wheel and the whole car shakes. Feels like I'm gonna shake off the road.

Occasionally front drivers side caliper is sticky. Can feel it dragging. Front wheel gets very warm. Not sure if related at all. Noticed wobble a week or two before this problem.

Wanted to get some ideas before I call dealer. Only owned for 3months. Sadness.

caddyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Speed related wobble is a tireout of balanc nine times out of ten. 52-53 mph is one of the two speeds where balance problems usually show up. Yours is severe enough that you might be triggering DW with that tire.

Get the tires balanced. If one shop tells you they are balanced, take your rig to another shop. Once you stop triggering the wobble at that speed, you need to get under your rig with a torque wrench and go over everything.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Threepointchamp
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just got a 700 quote for my wobble. Ball joints and damper. My 09 has 55k.
Threepointchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The damper is a bandaid, not a fix. There is a great thread stickied up top on DW.

Your dealer will tell you the damper will fix it and he is 100% wrong.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.