08 JK Struck by lightning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 08 JK Struck by lightning

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

08 JK Struck by lightning

Hey guys!

I am in need of some serious help. My Jeep was indirectly struck by lighting last night. It was parked under a tree that was struck by lighting and now wont start.

The battery comes on and all gauges appear to work. The radio is fine, as is all the power windows. All the exterior lights working including my Hellas. The starter just doesn't kick in...I worked all day and left the battery unhooked for the day hoping by the grace of god the computer just needed to reset...still no luck.

Inside the house we lost all cable/Internet devices (2 boxes, modem, wireless router), a flat screen tv, the invisible dog fence and a fish tank light lol So

The jeep is having other random issues as the interior lights don't come on when you open the door and the remote entry will randomly not work.

Here is the kicker I am currently living in Martha's Vineyard which is an island with 0 dealers and little options as far as reputable shops.

What do you guys recommend I start with??

Side note: Last night when I parked the jeep I had a 100% mechanically and electrically sound jeep. Not anymore!!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Brendan

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow! Crazy stuff.
Have you checked all the fuses?
There should be a fuse diagram in one of ronjenx study's in the F.A.Q.

Edit; Here it is > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1200238/
Maybe it's one or more of the relays!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Coil if starter has one, solonoid. Saw that as answer in war of he worlds with Tom cruise when lighting was striking all of town.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't know if it is still possible in today's world with all the electronics and everything, but can vehicles still be started by by passing the solenoid with a screwdriver or similar tool? If so you might want to see if you can start it that way just to see if it will run.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I showed up to work last year and found company truck headlights on and wipers going on high, thought someone was inside. Ended up finding out it was struck by lightning. They ended up changing almost all of the electronics ( which i guess the mech said was normal). Still it doesn't act right all the time. Hopefully yours isn't as bad.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
ncb

Call the insurance company and have it towed to the nearest dealer.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
sthomp
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I would try to check all the fuses. Also, see if it will crank in neutral if its an auto.... does it click and not turn over when you turn the key or just make no noise at all.
sthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
Call the insurance company and have it towed to the nearest dealer.
That's a big 10-4!

That could have messed up a lot! They may think its fixed and one day you'll notice a certain feature is not working.

Lots a brains and gizmos under there and could turn into a transformers car. Like states above wipers, lights etc.

Because we own jeeps does that make them decepticons?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
ncb

I had a business jet that I managed several years ago that was struck by lightning. It had many electrical gremlins that took some time to find.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

It may have sent your security system into lockdown, an issue with '08s & early '09s. Caused by an issue with the wireless control module, and sometimes the keys, too. The WCM & keys are the subject of a couple TSBs, dealer should replace the WCM with an updated unit, as well as the keys. Static in the key blade can send the security system into shutdown. The lightning hit may have done the same thing.

The workaround is to open the fusebox lid, locate the big, white double fuse holder J13. Lift J13 up until it hits the stops..it won't pull all the way out..., wait 30 seconds, then press it back down until it seats. This rests your security system. If this is the issue, it should start & run. You'll lose all your radio settings, but everything else should work fine.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I live in MA so I understand that on the Vineyard it may not be as easy as tow it to the local dealer, I would also see if I could jump the starter and get to the ferry but don't shut it off. The best thing to do in my opinion is get an insurance claim because it will not be an easy fix, and will probably take a while to fully diagnose and repair.
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

May not be a bad idea to change all oils (diffs and gear boxes) to see if anything is making metal. Probably unlikely in a car but lightning can create a weld on gears or bearings on aircraft.
But I would probably talk to my insurance agent if I were you.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
At one time I ran an high end hi fi electronics repair shop. At first I had no experience with lightning strikes. Over time I saw quite a few pieces that were lightning victims. At first, I tried to fix the problems with success (I could fix anything, right?) .....I thought. What happened is I would return the working piece to the customer but within weeks it was back with a different problem. I would fix the new problem, return it, and in short time it was back again with another problem. All of my fixes were fine. These were new problems that didn't show up until later. It seemed like they were strung out like a string of fire crackers and were totally unpredictable. I changed my repair policy for lightning strikes because my warranty procedures were taking a beating.

Here was my new lightning policy. After an explanation of the reasons to the customer, I would check out the equipment to confirm the problem then do a detailed repair estimate. I would give this to the customer so they would have certified evidence of a serious problem. This they could give to their insurance company with the conclusion that the equipment be replaced totally. NO repair possible. Part of this service was that I would consult with the insurance company if necessary. This always worked. The insurance companies complied with my recommendations.

The point is this. Lightening damage is very serious. Obviously, a $35,000 Jeep is a different case than a $5,000 hi fi amp. You can't expect the entire vehicle to be replaced. But you can expect the entire automated electrical system and computers to be replaced and this is realistic. I would not settle for less from your insurance company. They will bi*ch because it will be expensive. But it is the only way you will get your vehicle back to a reliable condition. Stand strong!!

Good luck,
Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys!

Whoa I can't believe I left this hangin! My bad..its been a busy few months!

So to update, the Jeep took a direct lightning strike to the drivers side mirror. The shock went through the Jeep and fried the PCM, WCM, ABS module, 2 keys and a few other things.

So the entire brain of my Jeep has since been replaced. The Jeep was in the shop from the end of August and I got it back from the dealership Oct 1. Insurance covered the entire expense less the deductible, so it is worth a call to insurance to make sure you are all covered if this were to happen to you. Total cost with labor was about $2300.

Since then, the Jeep has been great! No residual issues and the Windshield Washer doesnt spary when I hit the unlock button on the key fob like it did the morning this occured!

So all is well in my Jeep World! Thanks for reading...

Oh wait I am currently having an issue with 2 engine codes that popped up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...p0532-1468785/

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
Since then, the Jeep has been great! No residual issues and the Windshield Washer doesnt spary when I hit the unlock button on the key fob like it did the morning this occured!
LMAO!!! Now THAT takes the cake for weirdest random WTF thing to happen on a Jeep.

I'm happy to hear you have it back to normal. That had to be very frustrating.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.