07 Wrangler X EGR valve and codes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 07 Wrangler X EGR valve and codes?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 04-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
DeepBlueEditor
2007 JK Wrangler 

07 Wrangler X EGR valve and codes?

Been experiencing some minor surging for a while and then the engine light came on. Stopped in to the local auto parts place and they told me it was the EGR valve and sensor by their code reader. I didn't get the actual codes. They looked it up and told me they don't have access to replacements for that so, called the local goofball dealership where I bought it. While a great guy in service answered and talked with me about it all, I never liked their sales staff - but that's a different story.

So, he tells me I can have them do the work based on the parts place analysis or I can have them check it out for an additional $95. First question. Are they saying it will take $95 to hook the single hand held code reader and just read the numbers off of it like the parts place or is there something more indepth they will do? If they are reading the same handheld meter the parts place was, can't see a reason to pay them almost $100 to plug in a meter and go "Yep, EGR"

Second, if I have them diagnose it (and pay the $95) it's going to cost me $360 to have them replace it. I found only one article on the net tonight about Jeep 07 EGR replacement and it does look fairly complicated. I haven't wrenched anything for a while except my Harley and that's light maint. This sound about right?

Last question. I have about 53K on the 07 X. Is this something that just happens every 50+K or so? Lucky for me I bought mine about 1 month before they switched to the lifetime warranty - yay for me huh?

Comments?

Thanks,
S

DeepBlueEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The EGR valve can be replaced at home. It's not that hard.

But first, get the code and post it here.

This is how:

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s).

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
DeepBlueEditor
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was afraid to flip through the switch too fast but I got it figured out. Code comes back as P0406. The list in that page you quoted shows it to be "P0406 EGR POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH"

That's the only code it shows before it says "Done" on the dash.

PS, for all the rest that may not know about this one -
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource

Thanks for the pointers on where to figure out the code. So this still almost a sure bet it's the EGR valve and sensor? I am making the assumption they are part of the same part/unit?
S.
DeepBlueEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

As you cans see below, it could be a wiring problem, or even the PCM.

However, people have been successful by replacing the EGR valve.

The EGR Valve wouldn't have been covered by the lifetime warranty. Only the basic warranty. (3 year/36,000 miles).

P0406-EGR POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH

Set Condition:
EGR position sensor signal is greater than the maximum acceptable value. One trip Fault.

Possible Causes

(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

EGR SOLENOID ASSEMBLY

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
nostep
2007 JK Wrangler 

So, is there any other sensor than the EGR valve? Mine is sending a P0404. Do I still need to replace the EGR Valve?

2007 JK, 54,000 Miles.

Thanks.
nostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just for reference all the codes are listed here > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...8/#post4710891 and there is a link to the code list page in the F.A.Q.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostep View Post
So, is there any other sensor than the EGR valve? Mine is sending a P0404. Do I still need to replace the EGR Valve?

2007 JK, 54,000 Miles.

Thanks.
Here is some info for the code you have.
There are a few things to check first, but is has usually been a new EGR valve that fixes it.

P0404-EGR POSITION SENSOR RATIONALITY OPEN

Theory of Operation

The EGR valve has a position sensor and the EGR position rationality is designed to make sure that the valve moves freely within its operating range. Closed valve position reference check verifies that the valve is within its allowable upper and lower limits. The EGR position rationality test looks for a sustained error relative to commanded valve position.

When Monitored:
Engine running.

Set Condition:
The EGR flow or valve movement is not what is expected. A rationality error has been detected for the EGR Close Position Performance. Two trip fault.

Possible Causes

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE EGR SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE EGR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT

SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

EGR SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

EGR SOLENOID ASSEMBLY

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
nostep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I have ordered the valve from Wyckoff (through ebay). I'll probably work on it next weekend.
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
jaws03

P0404 Error EGR

Hi there, did replacing the EGR valve fix your P0404 error you were getting?
jaws03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
nostep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes. It has not come back. Unit was very rusted looking inside.
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Calvin9069

Help!!!

Quote:
Yes. It has not come back. Unit was very rusted looking inside.
How did you get the top bolt out of the EGR valve. I can't get a socket on it.
Calvin9069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
nostep
2007 JK Wrangler 

I remember that swearing a lot helped. It's been three years and I'm still trying to forget that repair. Sucks. Anyway, I remember removing the fender for better access from the side. I also remember removing a screw in the transmission dipstick tube, to move it a bit. Never could get the screw back into the dipstick tube.
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
Calvin9069

Quote:
I remember that swearing a lot helped. It's been three years and I'm still trying to forget that repair. Sucks. Anyway, I remember removing the fender for better access from the side. I also remember removing a screw in the transmission dipstick tube, to move it a bit. Never could get the screw back into the dipstick tube.
I took out the battery, battery box, etc. and could get to it fairly easily from the top. I had to put it back together so I could go to work and didn't have time to figure out moving the dipstick tube, so thanks for the help... The only swearing so far was when I started taking all the stuff out of my pockets and found a bolt that I have no memory of removing. Such is life...
Calvin9069 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controls , egr , emissions , replacement , valve

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.