07' Rubicon vs 10' sport - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 07' Rubicon vs 10' sport

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Sorry guys, I'm a bit of a newbie. Please explain when I would need locking diff. Also if someone can explain difference between sport and Rubi I'd really appreciate it.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
For what sounds like you intend to do you probably won't need the locking diff. The thing is though, the one time that you need them they will have been worth it especially considering the price you can get the Rubicon for.

Speaking of the Rubicon here:

In normal operation the differentials are open. This means that the tire with the best traction is the one providing the majority of forward momentum. Even when running in 4WD the axles are still open and typically only two wheels (one front/one rear) are truly providing forward momentum. With locking diff (front and rear) the axle shafts are locked together, in effect making each axle a solid drive unit and all 4 tires provide forward momentum. Or you can lock just the rear axle while in 4WD and gain that extra little bit push if needed (a situation such as having trouble getting through some mud).

The main difference between the Sport and the Rubicon are the axles, the transfer case and the sway bar disconnects.

The axles in the Rubicon are typically geared at 4.10 versus the somewhat standard 3.73 (could be 3.21) gears in the sport. From what you have described the 4.10 gears would be to your benefit since you intend to go to a 35" tire in the future.

The axles in the Rubicon also have the electronic lockers as discussed above.

The transfer case in the Rubicon is geared at 4:1 low range versus 2.72:1 low range on the Sport. The Rubicon transfer case is beneficial when off road, more specifically when the trail has off camber obstacles that need to be overcome. The lower gear ratio allows for more finess when you need to travel at a slower ground speed.

The sway bar disconnects just allows for more front suspension flexibility when going over off camber obstacles.

Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Habber

Excellent info. Thanks for the differences. Sounds like the sport has more superficial upgrades than the rubicon plus the Rubi has air. Even though the Sport looks great with the lift and 35's, I think the Rubi is more bang for the buck and upgrading the sport to what tr Rubi has will cost more than vice versa. I also can't add AC to the sport so looks like the Rubi is what I should look at. Hope it's still available. Thanks

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotmb View Post
35's on a sports D30. Could get sketchy quick with any off roading.

Go ruby buy 35's and steel rims
With light wheeling, it should be fine. As mentioned, wouldn't hurt to reinforce if you go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Rubi has air

Sport no air

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
This would kill the Sport for me. Depends on the summers in your area. Mine is a DD and I end up driving around for work sometimes. If it was just a trail rig, wouldn't bother me though.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.