07 JK drive train vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 07 JK drive train vibration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
bkerry
2007 JK Wrangler 

07 JK drive train vibration

After changing my rear pinion seal I am getting a shudder type vib. This dosent happen all the time, comes and goes. any suggestions?

bkerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a stock rear drive shaft?
Or an after market with regular u-joints?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
bkerry
2007 JK Wrangler 

It still has stock drive shaft. I have inspected the shaft seems to be ok. I thought it might be the front shaft so I removed it and drove the jeep for a week still same issue.
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is the jeep lifted? did you check your gear oil level? make sure the boot near the transfer case isnt ripped and spewing grease. Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?

need more info
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Same thing was happening with mine. It came and went. Mostly I felt it upon acceleration. I inspected the drivelines (aftermarket rear), and u-joints (stock), but apparently I didn't check the u-joint well enough-- 4-5 weeks after it started, my u-joint shattered and my driveline dropped to the pavement. Check that u-joint VERY well.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you haven't picked up something on your drive shaft.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post

wow!
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have that same email...that WAS a mattress. Now its just a little counterweight.
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
bkerry
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can feel a little play, not much. Also, my jeep is a 2 door.

Last edited by bkerry; 07-28-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
bkerry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the response. I just figured out the issue. Front cv joint on the rear drive shaft. Any suggestions on replacement?
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The stock units used a Rzeppa joint which cannot be rebuilt to my knowledge. I suggest that it is time to go with a Tom Woods or JE Reel rear drive shaft - you can get a bolt in replacement or you can pull the flange connection and go with a U joint yoke. You can also find a lot of stock rear DS's on eBay - I picked up a spare rear shaft for 10 bucks...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Holy ****!!!
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
bkerry
2007 JK Wrangler 

replaced rear driveshaft still have same vib. everything in the front end looks good, could I have a torque converter shudder?
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the same vibration in mine. I have an auto 4 dr. The front driveshaft is a Tom Woods and the rear is stock. I have been driving this way for a couple of months now. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it sems to be while accelerating. I still haven't figured out what the issue is.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk7 View Post
I have the same vibration in mine. I have an auto 4 dr. The front driveshaft is a Tom Woods and the rear is stock. I have been driving this way for a couple of months now. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it sems to be while accelerating. I still haven't figured out what the issue is.
I hope you adjusted the pinion angle correctly, if not that driveshaft isnt going to last very long.....If you did I would recheck it, there should be no vibrations.

bkerry, I would take off the rear driveshaft and slap it in 4high and drive around to see if its the actual rear driveshaft making the vibrations. Does it happen accelerating? decelerating? Its posible that its just isnt balanced properly....When you retorqued the pinion nut when you changed seals did you use a new pinion nut and torque it properly? Check for any play in the flange when you take the DS off, there shouldnt be any.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
drive line vibration , drive shaft , JK Wrangler , pinion seal , vibration , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.