Why do people tailgate me? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Why do people tailgate me?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #106
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I get tailgated from time to time... a couple weeks ago some punk kid in a V6 mustang tailed me what seemed like less than a ft from my bumper for over a mile and then pulled up next to me at the stop light revving his engine staring at me... I just looked at him and grinned... Then as I saw the light turning yellow for crossing traffic, I blew him a kiss and gunned it as the light turned green...

He didnt realize I had a 300+ HP 5.3L vortec under the hood... I hate gunning my jeep like that, but sometimes it just feels too good teaching a 16yr old kid a lesson like that...

He wouldnt even look at me at the next light...

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #107
crankyhobo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I get tailgated all the time and it doesn't seem to matter how fast i'm going in Seattle it seems like there is always a ******-canoe up my ***. It's so incredibly idiotic and there is no way they can escape a horrific accident if something happens. At 55mph with a 1s reaction time they'll travel 80 feet before the brakes are even applied. I tend to leave more space between me and the car in front of me so that i can be responsible on their behalf and wont have to slow down as fast.
crankyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #108
IDK

I agree, just slam on the brakes and say a kitty or a rabbit ran out in front of you, then just think get that nice new rear bumper you've always dreamed about! If they hit you its automatically their fault no matter what. In theory when following someone you're supposed to be 2 full car lengths behind the person in front of you, not 2 inches like the *** in the Corvette.
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #109
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post
I agree, just slam on the brakes and say a kitty or a rabbit ran out in front of you, then just think get that nice new rear bumper you've always dreamed about! If they hit you its automatically their fault no matter what. In theory when following someone you're supposed to be 2 full car lengths behind the person in front of you, not 2 inches like the *** in the Corvette.
sorry but it doesnt always work like this. my brothers wife was just rear ended and they gave her the ticket and told her it was her fault. which it wasnt. she was already stopped long before the guy hit her. they are taking it to court and hopefully they are cleared of everything and get her car fixed
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #110
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

althekiller-

that cop is a retard. the only way you can get a ticket if you were rearended is if you can prove you intentionally hit the brakes.

that being said, it's a hard thing to do. and honestly none of you guys would brake check anyone to the point of an accident. no one on here said they have and it's obvious the trouble isnt worth it.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #111
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

i meant

*the person who rearended you can prove you hit the brakes intentionally*

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #112
ni0h

x-whatever the count is now on just letting off the throttle. On the interstate at 80mph, I lose 4mph just downshifting from 6 to 5, and I'm fast. A simple resting of the foot is like lightly hitting the break.
The sweetest thing, though, is when things are slick and I'm getting tailgated, to lock all around and leave the stopsign 3 or more times as hard as they can. The only improvement to that is when they're determined to show they're faster, because I stop at safe speed, while they blow by me pushing more speed than the combination of road and their tires can support, and I get to slow back down, roll down a window, and give a hearty <Nelson>"HA HA"</Nelson>.
ni0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #113
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
People do that to me, especially in heavy snow. I hate it. Sometimes I dont think people understand that its a jeep, and Im already going as fast as I can go. As for the morons tailgating in 4" of slushy snow......theyre just idiots that dont understand that the speed limit is not the minimum speed under all conditions.
Totally agree, I wish I could make the Idiots understand without having them end up underneath my gas tank....
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #114
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

happens all day longto me, my jeep is not a race car with 33's and no gearing i go as fast as i feel i need to, anyways i know i will win most of the time if i decide i need to lock' em up
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #115
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

The closer people get to my bumper, the slower I go - and I am more than happy to slow to a crawl on an interstate if that's what it comes to.

The way I see it, the closer you are to me, the slower I need to go, so that I can maximize your reaction time and hopefully avoid being rear-ended. If you don't like this strategy, then either get off my *** or go around me.

For you people who tailgate, turn on your highbeams, honk your horn, give the finger, or show other signs of dissatisfaction just need to realize that this is not going to help you and will just be counterproductive to your goals. So, it's really all up to you.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #116
Dragbeoch
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a bumper sticker on the Cherokee that was totaled a couple months back. It read "If your gonna ride my azz at least pull my hair" If the tailgating was bad I would wait for them to start reading it and jam the breaks. That would normally get them to back off or I would get offers at the next red light that I can't tell you about on here..

Amanda
Dragbeoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #117
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Back when I had an 05 Corolla, I knew it was never going to be a speed demon so instead the game changed to see how many miles per gallon I could achieve with it through a set of practices called Hypermiling. With the tires pumped up to max pressure, the cruise control set and cycling the AC as I heated up and cooled off, I got some impressive numbers including one 11.5 mile trip which netted me 50.2 mpg.

I also decided that the last speeding ticket I got was really going to be the last one. Between those two factors, I have turned into a complete slowpoke on the road. It was an amazing transformation. Driving and traffic no longer stressed me out. Sitting in the right lane, doing a legal speed limit, just cruising was completely relaxing. Between that and longer times between the bank-busting fill-ups of that time, I was hooked.

I was also tailgated constantly. The difference was, I was so relaxed otherwise that the moron 3 feet behind me didn't really bother me. Also, from riding with my girlfriend, I can fully admit that there are much better drivers out there than myself. It seems like she has no ability to interpret the amount of space between her car and other vehicles but she has great reflexes. She drives closer to people than I would even stop behind them at a red light.

Of course, I think it's insane to drive that way but screw it, it's her car and insurance premiums. In the 4 years we've been together, nothing bad has come of her driving that way. I do like to take pictures sometimes of just how close she is to someone. Maybe I should explain the 3 second rule to her.
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #118
ni0h

btw: topless or sunrider FTW. I've gotten good at setting a small rock (more commonly, a penny out the dash tray) on my thumb and flicking it into the air stream above my windshield without any bodily movement. - "CLACK" on the windshield, and it must have kicked up off the road.
ni0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #119
mudcrawler90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK. I was driving my YJ w/o an ain cleaner for probly 3 months (nobody within 45 min of me sells complete weber carb air cleaner assemblies) this led to occasional dirt in the carb, and having to rev the engin at idel to keep it from stalling. I was having one of those, "rev days" (also realy bad for millage) month or so ago, i was leaving a dr. apointment when some buisness prick in a Porshe decided to stop less than a foot from my bumper. Trying to keep from stalling i begain reving my 4.2 the porsh begins to do the same. mind you, im sprung over with taller shackels on 32's w/4.11's. light turns green, i take my sweet time getting utp to speed, the porshe continues to tailgate (i could just see the top of his windsheild). So i get on the gas, and speed up quickly to get soem room because it i were to get hit this guy probly has a good lawyer and could find me guily of something, now the other driver thinks its a race. he pulls out and blows by me.

At the next light, i pull up next to him in a straight or turning lane and started reving harder than i was before, (try to start a race). I looked a head about a 1/8 mile ahead a cop is sitting running radar in a parking lot. so i flipped on my signale before the light turned. the porshe takes off, i turn then you could tell he saw the cop and slamed his brakes, i road away LMAO. he didn't get busted though.
Having to tow your Jeep down the road with a stock truck is like water skiing naked, its embarrassing, your being pulled by a single line, and it hurts a little but in the end all you can do is look back on it and laugh!
/l , [____],
l------L--[]lllllll[]-_
()_) ()_)==♠=)_)
mudcrawler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #120
MiniTubbedNova
1996 ZJ 

deleted
IRO 4.5" - 33" MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n8man1068
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just take a nap when they're tired of being awesome.

Last edited by MiniTubbedNova; 07-11-2010 at 12:52 AM..
MiniTubbedNova is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.