Why do people tailgate me? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Why do people tailgate me?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #16
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

I've already had two people bump into the back of me for tailgating at low speeds. My carrier dealt out some small damage to them and took it like a champ.

Anyways coming home a few days ago for Thanksgiving break, I was driving down 495 (if you dont know what 495 is, its the major F'ing highway that goes around DC and everything)

Anyways this is a 4 lane on each side major highway. I'm in the far left lane driving along when a guy switches lanes in front of me. Now mind you, there were three other lanes he could have driven in and there was very little traffic so it wasnt like he was going around someone. When I say gets in front of me it was like he purposely did it so I would be on his ***.

Once again, I'm in the fast lane...im not moving over to go around someone who shouldnt be driving that slow in the first place. He proceeds to start brake checking the hell out of me, and having such a high COG and moving at a decent speed it was pretty damn scary. I finally got fed up and went around him to which he proceeds to get right up on my *** and put his high beams on. Of course he's driving a little car so the high beams didnt have much of an effect. I contemplated letting him run into the back of me but it wasnt worth my time.

Long story short, I hate driving sometimes.

DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
Bitzorock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I jack the breaks but just enough to scare them.. I did it to this one guy two lanes of traffic. me and him on the road noone else. I am in the right lane, he is on my bumper. I jack the breaks for like 1 second and he gets about 1/2 a foot from my back bumper, goes around me and he has a around 5 year old kid standing in the passanger seat of his little like 86 Mitsubishi pickup.. Some people need to learn how to drive he kid not being strapped in. We were going 55 MPH. I would not feel bad for the guy driving when he plowed under the jeep. I would feel bad for the kid and his mom. They had no control over what was going on in that situation.

When the guy passed he looked at me like I was totaly off the wall crazy. I think some people just do not realize that they are doing something wrong untill it is too late. The sad part is he never put his kid in a belt.. I met him at the light down the road and the kid was still standing up in the seat.

Richard Clark
06 Wrangler Unlimited
Bitzorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Back before I got my jeep I drove a ford ranger that I built custom bumpers for. The rear was 3x6x1/4 steel. One day the usual stop and go traffic stopped REAL suddenly. I stopped fine, but the impatient lady riding my *** didn't. She tried to swerve onto the shoulder to miss me, but clipped the corner of my bumper. Cost me a few minutes to put more spray paint over the little white scratches. Cost her a whole new fender and some wrinkled door metal.

She was pissed about her car and that I couldn't stop laughing at her.
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #19
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

people are just jerks.

back when I had my ruckus (sweet little honda scooter) I'd have people on my *** constantly, and not even on single lane roads. I mean I'd be on a 2-4 lane road and I'm 6'3" 300 lbs on a 49cc scooter riding in the right lane and people would ride my ***. I dunno what they wanted me to do, I can only go but so fast and these people have multiple lanes to choose from, but rather than go around me they'd rather ride right on top of me getting pissed over a situation they could completely change.

It's like the other night. I'm driving my XJ down 288 (newish highway, wraps around Richmond) after I drop my friend off at his house. 288 is a 4 (maybe 5, can't remember offhand) highway with a speed limit of 60. It's pouring out so I'm going 50 or so in the far right lane at around 2 A.M. There's no one on the road but me, til this guy comes flying up behind me in his little ricer. He's gotta sit right behind me laying on his horn and high beaming me trying to get me to go faster when he's got another 3-4 lanes to go around me if he's in that much of a rush. I can't even begin to tell you how much I was tempted to slam on my brakes and let him run up under me and smack his head on my rear steel bumper.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #20
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Hah that has to be one of the things I love most about my Jeep....the steel.

Off subject but I remember one night at the beach sitting in the Mickey D's drive thru with some friends. We had the top off and we were just BS'ing because it was like 3 am in the morning and there was only 2 employees working so it took forever to get the food.

Anyways we're sitting waiting for our order and my Jeep suddenly jerks forward. My friends are making fun of me for stalling out and I'm just like "guys, I'm not even in gear, I don't know what that was." Until we turn around and see a car behind me in line on my Jeep. I guess the kid behind me was either drunk or fell asleep while waiting in line and gave his car enough gas to run into the back of me. His girlfriend (who I assume had to have been drunk based on behavior) jumps out and starts apologizing profusely. I couldnt help but laugh because I had my thick steel hitch on the back and he hit that, putting a hole right through his plastic bumper and leaving my Jeep unscathed. Bet that wasnt a pretty sight for him to wake up to the next morning.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:36 AM   #21
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

I like to pull the e-brake lever up because it does not light up my brake lights, they back off. Look all I am trying to say is back the f -off. I dont want a ford enema. People relay on there brakes to much. They should all learn to drive lifted 4x4 with big tires that stop on a, well they hardly stop. And I too always leave my hitch on for damage control, even though I have walked into it about 5 times now!
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #22
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just a hint for you guys, if someone is tailgating you, get into the right lane lane, it's there for a reason. If you're on a 2 lane road and you're being tailgated, pull the hell over.

Sometimes, people have places that they need to get to and you're in the way.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
shreknow91
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Just a hint for you guys, if someone is tailgating you, get into the right lane lane, it's there for a reason. If you're on a 2 lane road and you're being tailgated, pull the hell over.

Sometimes, people have places that they need to get to and you're in the way.

If you had read the thread, most of these stories seem to happen on 3-5 lane highways, with the person ALREADY in the far right lane... so yea
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Yes but does everyone who ate something have a sudden urge to life heavy pallets of stock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjislander View Post
now how do you think it got up there???? Bubba sucked in his gut real good and him and cletus picked it up and prayed they wouldnt dislodge a nut in the process, never underestimate the strength of a few rednecks
shreknow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
Hainze
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thats why i prefer the "Keep honking I'm reloading''
Hainze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is why I love having a diesel DD. Turn up the chips, stomp on it, and they dissapear

when the smoke clears I am gone, or they slam on their brakes thinking my truck just blew up
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
I like to pull the e-brake lever up because it does not light up my brake lights, they back off. Look all I am trying to say is back the f -off. I dont want a ford enema. People relay on there brakes to much. They should all learn to drive lifted 4x4 with big tires that stop on a, well they hardly stop. And I too always leave my hitch on for damage control, even though I have walked into it about 5 times now!
It shoudl be illegal to leave a hitch in. Too many *******es dont check them frequently enough. Had one come off and do $3000+ damage to my wifes new car this past summer, and she just had another one come flying at her yesterday. The first one, I was driving, and it was UNAVOIDABLE. It was one of the 3 ball, multi height adjustable ones...so it was a big a$$ ****er, and tore up the bottom of her acura.
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #27
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If someone is obviously trying to be a jerk, I compete with them to see if I can be equal or better. I see how slow my vehicle will go at idle. I don't try to trap people behind me, but if they have plenty of room to get around, then I assume they are being an idiot and don't deserve any respect from me. I will not pull off of the road for them, if that is what they expect. I have downshifted harshly so they would not be warned with brake lights. I'm thinking about doing like my paw-n-law did when he was young. He had a brake light cut out switch for outrunning the law in the dark. He could turn off lights make braked turns and the lights never came on. So he says.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #28
BOWMAN1911
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did you know? 1 in 3 automobiles on the road has a concealed firearm in it?

Be wary of any silver LJ's you carelessly & thoughtlessly may roadrage at.

The driver of my Jeep will justifyably shoot a nutbag threatening them.
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #29
Bitzorock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
It shoudl be illegal to leave a hitch in. Too many *******es dont check them frequently enough. Had one come off and do $3000+ damage to my wifes new car this past summer, and she just had another one come flying at her yesterday. The first one, I was driving, and it was UNAVOIDABLE. It was one of the 3 ball, multi height adjustable ones...so it was a big a$$ ****er, and tore up the bottom of her acura.
I do not quite understand this.. I am not a big hitch user, but all the hitches I have seen have locks on them, key locks.

I do not think it should be made illegal to keep on at all. accedents happen. It is like anything else. A car can kill someone if not maintained correctly, so should cars be illegal?

Richard Clark
06 Wrangler Unlimited
Bitzorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #30
xtreampyro
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
He had a brake light cut out switch for outrunning the law in the dark. He could turn off lights make braked turns and the lights never came on. So he says.
what about the headlights? interesting idea tho

i cant wait for my reverse lights on a switch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.