Why do people tailgate me? - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Why do people tailgate me?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #226
7SlotGrill
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put a monster recovery hook in my receiver hitch and it tends to scare people a little and I've noticed since then I don't get tailgated anymore....

7SlotGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #227
JimTim
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer the downshift method on the highway. You lose enough speed to piss them off more and hopefully you can get them to back off and since you're not slamming on your brakes you slow down slow enough that its not abrupt. Plus you have put the motor back into a power band and can get back in the gas when they do try to pass you in traffic

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #228
silverstonemkiv
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm usually tailgated in town while going 5 over on a two way street. naturally i slow down to an idle and they are angrily yelling and shaking fists and finger gestures at me.
silverstonemkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #229
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a responsible driver (no wrecks, no tickets, wear seatbelt etc.) and I know how to drive on the ice without sliding or being a danger. When I am tailgated badly, I pull over because it's not worth the stress and anger. But, there are times when there is no place to pull over, like after a heavy snow.

Last winter, a FedEx guy in a huge truck - their biggest one - was touching my bumper practically shoving me for about a half a mile. The driver was enraged that I was not driving 45 mph+ on the SHEER ICE under fresh ungraded sleet. He could not pass me because I think he knew that he'd flip or swirl into a snow bank and kill us both, and he took it out on me. No place to pull over. This was on a shaded stretch of road that claims an average of two - three lives per year in my tiny town.

The people who speed on ice in my town (and flip their cars and kill others) are usually people who have little or no experience driving on ice and snow, and can't figure out why a bunch of hicks are slowing them down, and they typically are from a warm, southern state (no offense) that gets little snow. I guess they put their trust in some snow tire ad copy and step on the gas.

I just used my hazard lights instead of a gesture. Hazard lights have worked for me in getting tailgaters to back off (though not with the FedEx 'roid rager). I think this driver was the same "delivery" man who throws packages onto the curb as he speeds by.

Tailgaters are entitled, cowardly, dangerous asses with unstable emotions and misdirected anger.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #230
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ignore them because I don't care. They can go around when I can pull over or they can safely pass.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #231
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I basically never have a problem with tailgaters. I tend to hang back in the right lane on bigger roads to let the aggressive driver packs fight each other over lane positions and run 5-10mph over on two lane back roads. I also bought a strong, heavy, aftermarket rear bumper with d-rings and an integrated hitch. In the integrated hitch I installed an additional brake light in the receiver, similar to what you see sometimes on full-size pickup trucks. I think most people realize if they rear-end someone with 4 highly visible brake lights and a big, heavy rear bumper out of their own negligence to maintain a safe following distance, then they are really below any normal intelligence level for someone allowed to operate a vehicle on a public road.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #232
SaretteJeep

Just go slower lol. Piss em off more.
SaretteJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #233
Caelum
2003 WJ 

I brake check once then take my foot off gas till they pass lol
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #234
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My old jeep blew a radiator house up in the mountains (crestline area) and I had to towed to my aunts house who lives up there and when my jeep was on the back of the tow truck dirvers truck ( I was riding with him ) he was flying through the windy mountain roads faster than the cars, he started tail gating this car and flashing his high beams until they moved over. Couldn't believe the tow truck driver was going that fast through the windy mountain roads.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #235
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ja, here they will crawl into your rear bumper too... You would think, if they have no snow here in so cal, less things to worry. Wrongo gongo!!!! They still can't drive. I wished they would have EVOC for jeeps, I would love to do a pit maneuver with some of those retards!!!!!

They are flatout dangerous dangerous. I try to let them pass and let them go around me where I can, but if they go over double yellows, and sometime s double- double yellow lines, with oncoming traffic and dips in the road or curves where you cannot see and they don't know and care why a speed limit is there and why there are so many crosses on the roadside,shame on them.

I almost had two fatal accidents last year, none of them my fault. same scenario in both cases: I was doing speed limit, but some moron in a fall apart car decided to overtake not one, but about 7 cars which were my oncoming traffic.I ran out of room. Literally. I was in my truck, not in my jeep, but going 55 and this returd making about 80 or so, would not have helped. I managed to get out of their way to avoid a head on collision. I think like some of those morons are driving, my dog would make a better and safer driver.

I wished they would have driver training mandatory. In Europe where I am from, you have to,do,classroom portion for 2 weeks minimum and you have to drive. I think it was like 24 hours night driving and like 48 hours day driving. And you can retake the test only so many times. You fail that's it.... Not to retake. And over there the driver license test costed on average about 20000 Schillings in 1991 for a car driver license. That was little less then 2000 dollars.2And motorcycle costed about 500 schillings, that's what I did and let the department pay for my car driver license...
Anyways, you all be safe
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.