Why do people tailgate me? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Why do people tailgate me?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #181
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

I think a lot of people tailgate because they are too silly to drive and make decisions, so they just like to follow someone else. Especially if they are yapping on the phone.

When I first got my wrangler, I felt like people were tailgating, then I realized that they really weren't that close, I just wasn't used to not having a trunk or big space behind the back seat.

umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #182
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbeater
Guess DW is just as scary to tail gaiters as it is to me
Rofl. Ever roll down your window when you get death wobble? We did that once in my cousin's ZJ and the front axle was all over the place. That explains why everybody flashes their lights at you when you pass them in death wobble mode.

I'll admit I'm pretty guilty of tailgating. I don't get right on a person's bumper or anything but I definitely get closer than I should. It just pisses me off when people don't go the speed limit and I don't have the ponies to pass them in the short passing zones we have around here.

Being tailgated doesn't really bother me unless it's some dumb **** with their high beams on. The way I look at it is that it's their fault if the run up my *** if I have to slam on the brakes for something. I usually go about five over though so I don't get tailgated that often.
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #183
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

I like to pull a handgun, stick my head out the window and scream ALLUH AKBAR at the top of my lungs while firing into the air and slamming on the brakes. People tend to swerve around me.
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #184
garand555

The best thing I ever did to somebody tailgating me was on a road with speedbumps at night. He must have been 5 feet off of my bumper and it was pissing me off. He was in a new Caddy, I was in a beatup pickup. I'd slow down to 15, and he'd be right there. I'd speed up to 45, and he'd be right there. Then I realized that he'd never see the speedbumps and hit one at 45 or 50. He did too. After the racket that his front bumper and undercarriage made when they hit pavement, he quit tailgating me.

I laughed about that one for weeks.
garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #185
pyrrhus00

When I was 16, I brake-checked a guy one too many times and he followed me home.

Got a closer look at him - older white male, camo jacket, driving a beat up Ford Aerostar minivan... kind of sketchy.

Fortunately, when I pulled in the driveway, 6'1" me stepped up out of my crappy little beige Plymouth and my firefighter dad was working in the front yard. As the van pulled away my dad did ask me what the death glare was all about - I was just glad he was there!
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #186
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

lift it, armor up your gas tank and diff, then get a beefy *** rear bumper made from something really thick.

you may now proceed to slam the brakes whenever someone is asking for it

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #187
burky45
1997 ZJ 

I hate nothing more than when your traveling the grids and some *** rides u with his high beams on so what I do is pull over let them pass and I get up on there *** and turn on my high beams 4 roof lights (which are bright as f ***) and 2 halogen lights I got on my bumper ...... They don't like that much
burky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #188
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Please cite the V.C. sections for all 50 states if you're going to make blanket statements like this. I for one do not believe you. If you can't, please stop spreading the BS...

Oh, and yes, I drive with my driving lights on all the time (hence the term 'driving lights'.)
Well, I've searched for over an hour now with no luck. I'm probably using the wrong search terms. I know I've read it several times before. And I'm not talking about on the internet. I'm talking about when I was registering experimental vehicles for road use in the 80's and 90's. 49 CFR 571 (hard copy) used to be my Bible. I've forgotten more of it now than most people have ever read.

And as for the driving lights comment? Yeah, they are called driving lights for when you're driving on the open country road with no other cars around. They are auxiliary high beams. As such they should never be on unless your high beams are. If they were factory installed anyway. Quite the opposite with fog lights, they will only illuminate with your low beams (at least factory will).

Let me ask you this? Are your "driving lights" certified with a "Yxx" where xx is a year number? Or are they certified with a "Fxx"? If they're "Fxx" they are fog lights. In which case they should only be used in foggy situations. If they are "Yxx" then they are driving lights and should receive power from the high beam circuit ONLY. There's another letter (that I cannot remember off the top of my head) for auxiliary headlamps. In which case they are a low wattage supplement to your headlamps and are pretty much useless and I would never argue about you using them. Their entire function is to "look cool". They don't actually produce any useable light on the road.

[EDIT] To quote wikipedia (which quotes 49 CFR and the SAE) :

Quote:
"Driving lamp" is a term deriving from the early days of nighttime driving, when it was relatively rare to encounter an opposing vehicle. Only on those occasions when opposing drivers passed each other would the dipped or "passing" beam be used. The full beam was therefore known as the "driving beam", and this terminology is still found in international ECE Regulations, which do not distinguish between a vehicle's primary (mandatory) and auxiliary (optional) upper/driving beam lamps.[3][4][7] The "driving beam" term has been supplanted in North American regulations by the functionally descriptive term "auxiliary high-beam lamp".[8]
Auxiliary means just that. Not full time. Driving lights and fog lights are auxiliary. They have specific times they are to be used. And they are specifically NOT to be used except under those conditions. And none of those conditions are met while driving on a clear night in town with other drivers coming the opposite direction.

[EDIT #2] To quote your own states' regs:

Quote:
(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps
designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not
be lighted with the lower beam.
And since you're not allowed to drive with your high beams on all the time, you're therefor not allowed to drive around with your driving lights on all the time. Good enough?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #189
NorCalArctic
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
lift it, armor up your gas tank and diff, then get a beefy *** rear bumper made from something really thick.

you may now proceed to slam the brakes whenever someone is asking for it
Driving on a two lane road up the mountain at dusk with a ricer up my rear so close that I could not see his headlights, came around a blind corner and a deer jumps out in front of me. I hit my brakes but did not lock them up, ( I did not want to test if my WJ would explode like a Pinto and burn the dry mountain down) so I ploughed the deer with my ARB bullbar at 40mph and drove over it like a giant speed bump. Looked back in my rear view mirror, the ricer got stuffed as my WJ crapped out a big surprise and the tailgating problem was solved.
NorCalArctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #190
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalArctic
Driving on a two lane road up the mountain at dusk with a ricer up my rear so close that I could not see his headlights, came around a blind corner and a deer jumps out in front of me. I hit my brakes but did not lock them up, ( I did not want to test if my WJ would explode like a Pinto and burn the dry mountain down) so I ploughed the deer with my ARB bullbar at 40mph and drove over it like a giant speed bump. Looked back in my rear view mirror, the ricer got stuffed as my WJ crapped out a big surprise and the tailgating problem was solved.
In a perfect world that would happen to every ricer.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #191
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Pssh i tailgate people sll the time in my WJ i drive mine like a sports car doin bout 20 over rain i do bout 10 maybe 15 but when i get tailgated i tap the brakes
cameron2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #192
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Most chevy vehicles and gmc have runnin lights they come on when you start the car so yea
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #193
dhoge88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe's_yj
i got some back up lights wired to a aux switch for that
Same here
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #194
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got tailgated for about 4-5 miles i was in right lane on a 6 lane hwy then exited on a 4 lane road with plenty of room to get around me so i did 60 on the hwy and 45 on the 4 lane then i just kept slowin down till i got home
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #195
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My favorite idiot driver story:

I'm driving down I-44W just outside Rolla, and there are two lanes in each direction. There are 2 or 3 semis in the right lane that are only doing about 55 by the time they make it to the top of the hills (speed limit is 70). Most of us are moving into the left lane to pass them, but there is a state trooper two cars in front of me so we are passing them at no more than 70 A red F-150 comes flying up on on my butt and is tailgating me, then jumps around me to pass me in the small space between two of the semis that are in the right lane. He had enough room to make it even with the state troopers rear bumper before he realized it was a cop and hit the brakes. The trooper calmly slowed down to about 45 so the F-150 had to pass him, pulled in behind him and lit him up.

I just started laughing, and was glad that there was finally a cop around to pull over the idiot driver.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.