What have you learned from your vehicles? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > What have you learned from your vehicles?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have only owned two vehicles, but learned a lot from what the parents had ..

Mine:
2001 Taurus: 4 door sedans can be nice in college (made some money on walmart trips), front drive cars are a BLAST to drive in the snow, Snow tires made this car unstoppable in the snow. Now for the bad: EVERYTHING rusts on a Ford and it will lead it its untimely death.

00 XJ: Can't complain about gas prices when you bought it, takes a bit of money to feel comfortable with a used vehicle (replace all of the unknown stuff)

Parents:
2001 TJ Wrangler: Brand new vehicles can be huge piles of garbage. Everything went wrong on this.

2004 TJ Wrangler Rubicon: Itty bitty tires, a 4.0 and 4.10 gears can beat anything to 60. Just saying.

2008 JK Rubicon: Rod knock is completely normal according to Chrysler. 6 speed is more fun that 5.

2001 F350: EVERYTHING rusts on a ford ... learned that when my foot went through the floor of the bed on a truck with 55000 miles. A base model truck is actually pretty nice.

Unread 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
JEEP89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1995 Nissan Kingcab Pick-up - $1000 used. Learned how to build a wooden bed, how to go off-roading, and how to get stuck off-roading. Damn those little tires. Also learned water and electronic are best kept seperate. Sold for $1 to a buddy from work. Claimed he needed it to teach his son to drive a standard. He fixed it and sold it for $500. Learned not to trust co-workers.

1989 Jeep wranger Laredo- Learned to do everything. How to free a stuck brake caliper(Hammer and anger work best for me). How to break things, then how to fix them in the woods. I learned that yes water is recommended for radiators, but in a bind, beer will work (trust me i had no other option) I learned that snowbanks are great for catching out of control jeeps. Also having every part and tool you need to fix your jeep, are useless without a light to see what your doing. I learned alot from my jeep, mainly some good tips ive learned the hard way. That and i hate Torx.

2001 F150- Rusted to hell. Great truck, my dad got 10+ years out of it. Salt destoys vehicles!!!!
JEEP89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Darkshine
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1995 Ford Taurus- It was a lemony car sold to my mom by my great-aunt and it was in the process of being given to me when I was hit and it was totaled. I learned then that I couldn't rely on a car to keep me 100% safe at all times.

1989 Chevy C1500- I actually cried the day I signed over the title. Had the truck for almost three years, and could do anything, and take a beating doing it with no problem. It rebuilt my trust and confidence when driving, and carried me everywhere I needed to go until she finally broke down for me for the final time.

2001 Jeep Wrangler- I. Love. This. Jeep. Seriously, the best and most fun ride I've ever had, especially with music blaring just going down the road. I can't wait til the spring and summer when I can take the top off.
Darkshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

95 Grand Am- great gas mpg, but the Quad 4 engine was a pain in the butt and oil leaking and burning oil caused me to sell it.

01 Chevy Malibu- 3100 v6 engines suck from Chevy. Three lower intake manifold gaskets when I sold it. When it wouldn't start and the theft light was on, let it sit for 15 minutes and then leave.

99 XJ- Jeeps are the most awesome and well built vehicles ever and I will never even not own one again (and if I do, it won't be for long).

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Bruistur
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1989 Buick Century Limited - Yeah, LIMITED, so had the nice velvet blue interior. Drove until it couldn't move under its own power.

1988 GMC Suburban - Got used under 100k, drove well into 200k. 8 MPGs in neutral rolling downhill. First fuel pump was PITA. Second, we took a sawzall, rolled the carpet back, and created an 'Access Panel' to change it. Plexi-glass and silicone sealed'er up nice.

1998 Mazda 626 - 4 cyl. got excellent mileage compared to the 'burban. Still have, runs great, looks pretty darn good.

2003 TJ Rubi - Had my eye on it for the longest time, and the Uncle was finally selling and moving into a JK. *yoink MINE!! Haven't looked back since.
Utah Jeep Crew #46
Bruistur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

1971 Ford maverick grabber- bought when I was 13 and restored it off lawn mowing money for 4 years and got it beautiful. sold when I turned 18. great car but wasnt a great dd as I was expecting. at least i made money on it!!

1999 ford explorer- bought for 750$ when I turned 16. lift, paint, 33's, system and I was happy for the 15k I got out of it till the engine blew. but 216k isnt too bad for beating the hell out of it constantly.

2004 Nissan titan le- found out not to trust dealers to do work on a used car with higher miles especially when it has something to do with the auto transmission. (They "forgot" to put in 2 quarts of fluid, so I drove it off 850$ later and a week later the tranny was shot, hey but at least nissan was nice enough to give me a quote for 4800 for a new tranny!! I took my business elsewhere and will never go there) but loved the truck, tons of options and I had a very nice stereo in it and some nice 22's.

2006 nissan xterra se- great car, not one problem ever. 145k on it and ran like it was brand new. Had a ton of stuff done to it and was actually decently quick when all said and done. only got rid of it when I got my jeep.

1988 Dodge Ramcharger- bought it for 1000. Got it as a project/beater/mud truck.. was fun and that 318 took a beating. had it on 35's and it was fun but the rear band went out on the tranny after a year, didnt really care especially since I sold it for what I bought it for and spent no money on it, just beat it to ****. But having this reminded me of how much fun i had in the explorer so when I sold it my jeep hunt began.

2002 TJ 4.0 5spd.- great car, love it every time i get in it. only car I have loved driving every day after having it for over a month so I couldnt be happier.

My only regret is not taking the dana 60 and 44 out of the ramcharger so I could use them in the jeep but at least I have a 44 on the back of the jeep now..
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

2008 Mustang v6- Graduation gift. It was awesome that summer, then I started college, and have mountainous roads to cross in the winter. Bad idea. Great car for when you're a young high school kid and have no worries.

2010 Wrangler Sahara- I think I'll take the scenic route on this 5min trip to the grocery store, be there in 30!
john304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304 View Post
2008 Mustang v6- Graduation gift. It was awesome that summer, then I started college, and have mountainous roads to cross in the winter. Bad idea. Great car for when you're a young high school kid and have no worries.

2010 Wrangler Sahara- I think I'll take the scenic route on this 5min trip to the grocery store, be there in 30!
Me in the snow in my XJ....I will take the long way, maybe I will find an unplowed road....

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

I've learned alot from the vehicles I've owned over the years. One lesson I almost learned the hard way still applies to every car or truck I've bought since.

That lesson is never, ever drive around in a vehicle you buy without checking in every nook, cranny and crevice for something that may get you in trouble.

In 83, a few years into a military career, I bought a 1980 Chevy Shortbed 4x4 from a Lieutenant. Great truck and the only problem I found was the defroster vents didn't blow very well. About 2 months later, decided to fix the problem. With help from a buddy, who luckily was my Supervisor, we pulled everything out of the way to get to the door assembly. Once I got to the ducts, I felt something in the way and pulled it out. Turned out to be a big bag of weed. After a few minutes looking dumbfounded at each other, my bud decided it would be best to call the Sheriff and our Squadron Chief. Sheriff showed up and was very cool about the whole thing, took the bag, our statements and BS'd with us for a while. Our Chief came by a few minutes after the Sheriff left and after explaining the situation, made a few calls and had us go to the base Security Police for a drug dog to check my truck. The dog found another bag stuffed under the seat up in the springs and a vial of coke hidden above the glove box on a small shelf. My truck was impounded and I was told to see my Commander the next day. When I reported to him, the Chief, my Supervisor and First Sargeant were there and I thought my career was over as drugs would automatically revoke my security clearances. After making me sweat a few minutes, the Commander thanked me for coming forward, shook my hand and gave me my truck keys back. Turns out, the SP's had kept my truck to set up a sting. They called the Lieutenant, told him a truck registered in his name was found abandoned on base and to come down and verify he sold it. He shows up and while he's at my truck, a drug dog walks around his car and promptly alerts. Dog found weed, coke and a few pills. Needless to say, his career was done.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I was caught with the stuff on a traffic stop. To tell a cop the stuff isn't mine surely would not have worked. The outcome would, no doubt, been completely different.

To this day, every vehicle I buy, I stop by the Sheriff or Police Dept, show my bill of sale and ask for a drug dog check. Cops have always been understanding and more than happy to oblige me.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #25
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilebush View Post
Does not get better than a Wrangler! And, it's American original. Oh, did I mention I have an incurable Jeep addiction now?
Some might not agree with you, since the CJ is the original and the CJ is the YJ's daddy.

Welcome to the addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #26
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

heres my line up in order from 2007 till now, and what i learned.

97 Nissan Maxima: this was my first car and i bought it off my best friend. the legend of the maxima is true, these things are extremely fast and are very reliable. its a comfortable car that gets you from point A to point B as well. there are TONS of aftermarket parts out there and there are even more ways you can **** up the way your maxima looks and performs. when done right though maximas look absolutely sick. the fact that i got mine up to 139 mph damn near stock amazed the hell out of me. i also learned how to drift or powerslide or whatever the **** all these politically correct worthless know it alls wanna call it. i learned how to get sideways and keep it that way through a turn. i definitely want to get another one sometime down the road.

08 Nissan Altima: its a nice car and all but its not really me, the shiftronic thing was cool but the whole not having a clutch thing made it kinda lame. no much skill in pushing a stick forward and backward. nice sound system the came stock, and it hauled *** like no other. when you push the gas pedal all the way to the floor theres a little button that clicks and makes it down shift. pretty cool. its a good "going out" or family car but not the kinda car you wanna try to look hard in

'07 Toyota Camry: it smelled funny and it just screams "mom's car". theres a huge delay from when you push the gas pedal to when it actually accelerates, it bugged the ****ing **** outta me. it was literally like a 3/4 second delay. the gas pedal got stuck on the carpet a couple times when i went full throttle, scared the **** outta me. the steering wheel didn't tilt the right way, meaning it always tilted way forward no matter how you set it. the gas mileage sucked wicked ***, and the brakes sucked balls. the steering was terrible, i had to crank the wheel 30 ****ing times to get it to turn around a corner. im glad that experience was short lived.

96 Toyota Camry: even though that car was old, and had over 200,000 miles on it, it was still running strong. it had been well maintained, it was a car that had been passed around in the family and still is. even now its running just as strong as when my sister got it. the only thing i hated was that it didn't have cruise control but other than that, it was a damn good car. it got unbelievable gas mileage and was nice to have when i didn't have any other car.

01 Mazda Tribute: i didn't fix the a/c until i traded it, other than the small leak in the radiator, it was a damn good vehicle to have. for a compact SUV that thing hauled ***. i never thought mazda would put out a V6 that could make an SUV peel out all the way into second gear. the only problem i had with that ride was the paintjob and the lack of aftermarket parts. i had a badass project set in mind for it but my fabrication skills at the time weren't that great and i didn't have much knowledge on fabricating. i kinda sorta regret trading it because it was such a nice ride but at the same time im more proud of what i drive now.

92 Jeep Wrangler: Jeep... nuff said. im never gonna get rid of my rig, it will die with me.

damn... i've had a lot of cars in the past 4 years.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I'm on my second CJ7, I have learned to ALWAYS bring along a good tow strap and/or flat tow set - having already mounted the receivers to the front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
SuperMud

2000 Grand Am coupe 3.4l: First car, fast mother, fwd drifting is stupid, better track width and handling suspension than majority of non expensive sport cars, not a rally car that you can rail corners on single lane roads at winter temps and bounce off trees.

1987 Cherokee Laredo: 2nd car, fast mother, rwd drifting is cool, better handling than most trucks, not a rally car but can rail corners in the snow without bouncing off trees
Ok for real: I learned nothing last forever, fixing someone elses boogerjacked work sucks, no ones project is perfect all models of 4x4s have their flaws, and figure out whats actually cool before you go muffin up your interior and trying to get more lift. I got it with 4in on 31s and it's staying on 31s. The original owner blacked out some of the chrome which sucks but I painted the door panels black so were even. Now I'm trying to get all original looking parts and make it a very nice DD/capable wheeler/ and reliable expedition like rig. I plan to have many more projects as im just now turning 18 and if I had to get another fwd car it would probobly be a grand am lol.

Edit: When wheeling don't drive into the black bottomless mud usually in the bottom of a creek or low spots in the woods. It took me about 5 times getting stuck to figure this out.
SuperMud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post

To this day, every vehicle I buy, I stop by the Sheriff or Police Dept, show my bill of sale and ask for a drug dog check. Cops have always been understanding and more than happy to oblige me.
That is a really good idea. I'm always nervous driving around in a used car for the same reason. I don't plan on driving anything besides my XJ any time in the next few decades but I'll keep that in mind.
p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

First Car (Parents) 1966 Ford Mustang 289 v8. Learned how to work on cars with this, sat in driveway for 5 years "waiting" for me. Was my dad's first car too. It broke all sorts of weird things, and tranny gave out twice but needed a car with air conditioning. 4 wheel drum brakes in the rain are "fun"

1989 toyota camry v6 - Was for my sister so I drove it for 9 months or so, learned that good air conditining is important. Vowed to never own a car without AC.

1966 Mustang (Again) - Sister drove so I drove the old ford again for a few months until I got some $$$

1995 Taurus - Got this from a relative for cheap. Had good ac, learned that they are not so good off road when I got stuck once.

2003 - Ford f150, Still have this truck. Learned that limited slip does not mean you wont get stuck off road. Ill have this until it explodes, has good AC. Relatively easy to modify things even on newer cars

1984 CJ - Got this jeep from a buddy, learned that AC is not important if you dont have windows to hold the heat in. Manual transmissions are way more fun. Got this for all the reasons I loved the mustang it is simple to work on, parts are cheap, and I now have a backup car for when it breaks. Also its the only car I own that an acceptable way to mount something is get the welder out.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.