There is no such thing as a Dead Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > There is no such thing as a Dead Jeep

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

There is no such thing as a Dead Jeep

Well the story starts off like this... I had been driving my JGC around and began noticeing a "belt squeaking noise" I wrote it off as a loose belt and continued to drive it around. One day on a trip out to syracuse it began to over heat just a little, I didnt think much of it and figured I would look into it when I got home. Well on my trip home all was going well until I got it up to 75mph on the highway, about 15 minutes after getting on the highway she started to loose power. I looked down at the tempature gauge and it was pinned at 250, well it all went down hill after that. She died right as I looked down, so I immdetily pulled it over to the right side off the road as it made that classic "dieing noise" you hear in the movies a couple of clunks and it came to a stop. Steam began pouring from underneath the hood. After it cooled down I open the hood, it wasnt a pretty site there was coolant every where, and it had pushed oil through the seals on the engine. I figured she was destined for the junk yard after this To make a long story short I got it towed home and for those of you who have already figured it out and have been saying what an idiot through this entire story, I replaced the water pump; started it back up and havent had a problem since The old water pump was messed up pretty bad, the bearing had wemt and the pumps fins had shred through the houseing causeing all the coolant to leak out

Can someone tell me why my jeep will beep, blink and throw a fit when there is no wind shield washer fluid but; when my jeep is over heating and the coolant is turning into steam I dont even get a warning light?

Moral of the story is the I6 is the most amazing engine ever made hands down

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
jeeptj19992001

no the morel of the story is when you start to hear noises, get them fixed so you do not need to be towed
Unread 05-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
TAMUJeep

and pay attention to your gauges. The beeps, blinks, and buzzers are called idiot lights. Thats because it takes an idiot not to realize "oh, well, look at the jimmy the engine turned off after that little yeller gas pump came off and the other needle thing there pointed to the big E. Lets see if she needs some gas."

Now I know your not an idiot...you do drive a jeep, so that gives ya some points. Like said above, find and fix noises and pay attention to your rig...they're kinda like women; they throw out little hints you just have to be observant enough to pick up on what they're saying. Think of your breakdown as your GF/wife throwing a huge hissy fit!
TAMUJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
bobjp

Quote:
when my jeep is over heating and the coolant is turning into steam I dont even get a warning light?
That's what that gauge was doing. Never drive a vehicle when it says it is overheating.
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
jeeptj19992001

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
when my jeep is over heating and the coolant is turning into steam I dont even get a warning light?

that is what the temp gage is for
Unread 05-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001
no the morel of the story is when you start to hear noises, get them fixed so you do not need to be towed
Touche Cosmart

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
violatedppl

on my ZJ, the temp got up that high because the rad was covered it what was mud but not dirt. I heard a beep that said check guages I look down, holy crap 260. I pull over pop the hood and start pouring cold water on the rad trying to cool it down. only real problem I had to drive another 80 miles home, I stoped at 4 different pressure wash stations to try and cool the motor down again. I would basically turn the dirt back into mud drive, mud would go back into dirt and I would start all over again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.