Stuck in a white out in the middle of June - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Stuck in a white out in the middle of June

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
99xj242

Stuck in a white out in the middle of June

It was in the middle of June when I took my girl friend and her truck, a 2003 Ford Ranger, and my friend and his 1996 XJ up Kingston's peak 4wheeling. It was going good until we got to the backside of the peak where there was snow on the trail. I had the others wait at the top while I took my Jeep down the trail, this was a bad idea on my part, do to the fact that I had the most capable vehicle. I ended up getting stuck in about 4-5ft of snow half was down the hill, so we had one car down. My girl friend, thinking I was stopping for them to fallow, began down the hill, she made it about 20ft down and got stuck in about 10" of snow. Then my friend decided to go off the trail, which I'm highly against, and come down the hill to see if I was stuck, why he didn't leave the only free vehicle at the top of the hill I will never know. Once he got down to where I was he discovered that his Jeep could not make it up the side of the hill off or on the trail, so he tried to go all the way down the hill and ended up stuck about 180ft away from me.

After about an hour of being stuck on this mountain and digging, it began to snow, yes in the middle June it snowed, I guess that's what happens when you're above timberline. That's when we decided we were screwed and I called Rick, who I thought was in California, but luckily I was wrong. Rick is not the average person; he is 35 year-old, 6'4", and 240lbs black man. Not the usual friend of a little white suburban boy, but luckily for us I met him up wheeling and we became very good friends. After I got off the phone with Rick, and luckily the phones worked well up there, we decided to set up camp in my car and let the heater go until Rick started to come up. Rick got a hold of our other wheeling friend Vic and they were on their way up to get us. Rick has a Rubicon with 33's and Vic has a CJ with 32's. By 10 P.M. I'm beginning to get worried, I'm in touch with Rick and he says he's making his way to us slowly but I have my doubts of them making it, the snow is coming down hard and the trail is getting treacherous.

So I do what all the T.V. shows taught me, I called 911... they blew me off. They said the conditions where to poor for them to send up anyone to come find us and since on one was injured there was no dire need, that's when I began to really worry. At about 12:30A.M. Rick called, they were on the trial and past the timberline, but had no idea how the trail went over the vast tundra like terrain to the other side of the peak. So I put on my jacket and ventured up the side of the hill we were on to find them and try and guide them to the others. Now this went against everything I was ever taught in boy scouts or any other survival course, never leave the group in bad conditions to try and find help. I didn't have any other choice, I got the others up there and I took it as my responsibility to get them down.

Once I got to the top of the hill I saw the most hair raising and show of sheer godliness, two sets of headlight moving a crossed a vast tundra of blinding snow, like two turtles over a bumpy beach. I put my cell phone in the air and began running towards the lights. I felt like someone out of a movie coming out a horrible ordeal limping towards the rescuers in feet of snow. They finally spotted the blue light moving towards them and they knew it was me when they saw it fall and get back up, yes I fell in the snow. When I finally reached Rick's Jeep he gave me a Snickers, let me in his Jeep and turned the heater on full blast. At 1 A.M. we reached the others who waited in my car, and my girl friend was crying her poor little eyes out because she thought I surely died when I went looking for Rick and Vic. We left our vehicles behind and piled into Rick and Vic's Jeeps for the long ride home, which we did make at about 3 A.M. We went back up two long days later and were able to get my girl friends and my vehicles out, Mikes was left for another week until the hill was dry enough to get it to the top.

The things that made this situation so bad was that we couldn't spend the night on the peak, we had no food or water, I had court at 7 AM and if I missed it I would lose my license, which I was able to keep, and my girlfriend wasn't allowed to take her truck up 4wheeling. Luckly she was able to cut a deal with her mom and her dad never found out. Needless to say I learned a great deal from this experience and owed Rick and Vic quite a few meals for coming and getting us.

Let me know what you think or if you have any good stories of your own.

Last edited by 99xj242; 04-02-2006 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Hard to read
99xj242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I think you need to make it readable by making it multiple paragraphs...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
99xj242

Call me inept, but I'm not able to figure out how to indent the paragraphs. I guess thats what 12 years of public schooling has done for me. Hopefully this is easier to read though.
99xj242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds pretty scary, glad your phone still worked!

Looks like a box of snicker would be a good addition before go wheeling, even thou I don't touch that stuff usually.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xj242
Call me inept, but I'm not able to figure out how to indent the paragraphs. I guess thats what 12 years of public schooling has done for me. Hopefully this is easier to read though.

no problems...

just getting it split up a little makes it easier to read (something I tried to teach in some of the Outlook classes I got roped into teaching)...

very interesting story...glad all involved (including vehicles) made it out OK...eventually...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.