Spinning out at 55mph on the highway... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Spinning out at 55mph on the highway...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
morgankwright26
2000 WJ 

Spinning out at 55mph on the highway...

So, after a week of putting new parts in my 2000 wj 4.7 limited (cv joints, axles, brake pads, rotors, front differential gears, wheel hub bearing assemblies), we took the driveshaft out of the vehicle so that we could fix the transfer case the next day as quickly and efficiently as possible. My father, who owns a tow truck company and is also a mechanic, said it would be okay to drive without it. So after torque tightening everything we could find, I took it out for the first time in 3 weeks, to go to my girfriends house. Driving down the highway, 10 under the speed limit(because I didnt want to push the car on its test drive), I feel some quick slight pulls to the right. So I pull over, and tell my father about it, and he said to check the brakes for over heating orto see if they were in the proper place, and they were, and I decided I would be okay driving 5 miles to get to my girlfriends if I drove at this pace. So I take off, get to 55 again, and im watching this kid running on the side of the road, and all of a sudden "clunk, snap, grind", and my wheel spins to the right, towards the kid. My first instinct is to hit the brakes, which then decide "lets lock up, and even as he flutters the brake pedal, lets stay locked!", and thats when the cars rearend starts sliding out towards oncoming traffic, my mind thinks "oh crap" bit then, it flips the other way, and goes off the road briefly, missing the kid by 20 feet, and then goes back in the road, and as I am now sliding perpendicular to the middle line, traffic drives around me both ways. I then think " jeep...top heavy... Gunna flip... Oh s@#t... Ohhhh no" as I can feel the car tires bark as they grip the ground. I then continue spinning counter ck ockwise untill I am facing backwards, stopped in the road. Noone stops, one driver drives off the road, to go by me, as the smoke and dust clears and I am facing 180 degrees from where I was heading. My brakes now release as I turn off the key, and turn it back on to get out of the road. I look underneith, the bearing assembly on the pass side is completely destroyed, metal is strewn across the road, the kid that was running is sitting on the ground, and I look at my rotors and find gouges and scratches. There goes 200 bucks, to buy parts I bought 3 days ago, out of my pocket. my 19 year old college student pocket. After putting in 2000 plus In Parts the last week. Any ideas what happened yesterday?

morgankwright26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
AeroSync
2012 JK Wrangler 

The only thing I can tell you is that if it is a 4.7 V8 then you have what I think is the NP249 transfer case in which you only have 4H -- N -- 4L correct? You are not supposed to remove the front drive shaft and drive it like that because the viscous coupler in the transfer case will mess up pretty quickly. I don't know if it had anything to do but this is just an FYI.
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
morgankwright26
2000 WJ 

well i had looked at the tcase label and it said 247 j, this is a grand cherokee, not a cherokee. and i was told that i could drive like that through another post...
morgankwright26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.