Sleeping in a Jeep Wrangler - how bad could it be?? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Sleeping in a Jeep Wrangler - how bad could it be??

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #76
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've had a few experiences sleeping in my Jeep... A few have happened where I get in, intending to drive home... Then realize that I'm MUCH more intoxicated than I had thought, and decide that driving drunk is just one of those things that's dumb to do. Recline the front seat, and wake up in the morning, wondering exactly why I'm there.

Those times have all turned out quite well!

Unfortunately, I was not always so lucky. On an impromptu trip to New Orleans, I spent too much time in town before going to the campsite. Lo and behold, it's closed. Not wanting to trespass, and SURELY not looking to camp at an RV camp site in the city (it is New Orleans, after all) I find a McDonalds and ask if I can sleep in their parking lot without being towed. They didn't care. After rearranging the camping gear into the front seat and tumbling the rear seat forward, I cram myself into the back. See, this was before I realized that having a rear seat is simply a superfluous endeavor in a Jeep, and I hadn't relegated it to the corner of my garage yet. After this trip, that was fixed. It is decidedly uncomfortable to attempt to sleep in the back of a Jeep, especially if the rear seat is merely tumbled forward, and the brackets are still in place.

IF I ever try that again, the back seat won't be there, and neither will the brackets.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #77
emusician
2009 JK Wrangler 

I joined jeepforum.com after Google directed me to this thread. I recently replaced my 92 Toyota Pickup with a Wrangler Unlimited. I had a Sportz III Truck Tent for the Toyota, which I've used several times and will definitely miss. I want to find a similar solution for my Wrangler. (My brother has the truck now.)

I've already figured out that I can fit in the back with the back seats down, although my head is on the center console if I stretch out rigidly straight (I'm just under 5' 8" tall). The seat hinges are an issue, but I think I can cover them OK with a couple of good mats. I really only have two concerns:
1. Privacy (although not too big of an issue - could use a tarp or blankets)
2. Air circulation (without welcoming mosquitoes and critters)

As possible solutions to 2, I'm considering:
1. mesh screen velcroed over the outside of the top's windows - I could then zip or unzip the windows.
2. draping mesh over the windows of the rear doors - the problem here is that I'm worried it will hurt the paint and door seals. However, I like this idea because it strikes me as a simple and fast solution allowing control of the airflow with the window cranks. Really soft or thin mesh might work...
3. finding a way to securely drape a large mosquito net (or similar) over the roof.

If I don't find a good solution, I'll just buy a tent and a cot. I hate sleeping on the ground. However, a tent and cot will take up more cargo room than I'm ready to give up. I want to leave whatever the solution is in the Jeep so it is readily accessible and won't need to be removed except for cleaning. And simple/fast would be nice.

Thoughts or suggestions?
emusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #78
island hopper
1999 WJ 

I've slept in my TJ many a night. Sometimes I sleep in the front seat with it all the way reclined. I turn on my side and have a pillow....not too bad. Or, with the back seat out, I put thick blankets down and a few pillows to make a soft bed and curl up in the back...no probs...However I'm 5'9 and if I was any taller it wouldn't jive. As far as air circulation, you can buy a couple of those sun shades they sell at Autozone. Crack the front windows a bit, suction the sunshades to the inside of the windows (so it goes all the way up to the top of the sill obviously) to give you a nice bug screen. If the weather is really hot, or really cold, I just leave the engine running and set the A/C accordingly and let her run all night with the windows up.
island hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #79
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, Ive got an '08 JK 4dr and I can still use my "hatch" tent for my '06 Xterra, or sleep inside the JK with a Queen size Truckbedz airmattress

Checkout Magnascreen.com for the window screens-there priceless and SEAL, so no bugs can get in

I'm 6'4" and have no trouble sleeping inside the JK

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #80
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I sleep in the back of my XJ during Summer wheeling trips, its not bad plenty of room for sleeping and other things. The drivers seat isnt terrible either. I slept in there the beg. of October.
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #81
HeapTrail

Beautifully Written - Thanks!

This description is very real, reminding me of the many configurations my body has assumed when attempting to sleep in my jeep. One thing I can add: finally falling asleep only to be awakened up by a disturbing sounds of a porcupine chewing its way through a radiator hose.

AAAAAACK!! Where did I pack the radiator hose tape?

Seriously though, a tent would be nice, or better yet, a warm cozy hotel room. But if you're out there on the mountain somewhere and would feel safer locked in a vehicle sleeping inside, hopefully comfort can somehow be achieved.
HeapTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #82
thakoolaidkid
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Off topic.
Oct 2010 Moab Trip: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/need-advice-first-moab-trip-1093854/index3.html#post10341304"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/need-advice-first-moab-trip-1093854/index3.html#post10341304[/URL]

Last edited by thakoolaidkid; 01-26-2010 at 08:45 PM..
thakoolaidkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #83
REBELoffaLEASH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

PA Jeeps Jeep show 2006 I slept in my Jeep on the grounds. I put a tarp over my Jeep to cut the wind (all aspects of my top and doors were at home,) and had a pillow, and light blanket with me. I used the passenger side so i wasn't kicking the brake pedal, and waking the people I came with in the tent up. It wasn't too bad, but I was definitely tired Sunday morning.
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #84
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm 6' 4" if I remove my rear seats will I be able to sleep in my LJ? I don't really get the "ORIGAMI JEEP SLEEPER" the pictures Ive seen don't really show how it works. What about the small tow behind tents?
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #85
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

im 6'3" and i fit in the back. remove the back seat, put something in the foot wells to even it out, and tumble the front seats forward. you wont be able to stretch out, but if you sleep diagonally its not bad at all. i did that with my girlfriend in there with me.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #86
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are nuts trying to sleep in the back of a CJ, YJ, or TJ. I always pull up on a bank a bit. Recline the seat a hair if it will, my YJ wouldn't but it was still comfy, and you will be almost flat. Its super warm, and doesn't cut blood flow to keep you toasty as long as you are in a good sleeping bag.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #87
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

seein as that im 5 7 it's not too bad with the seats folded up
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #88
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006JWRU View Post
seein as that im 5 7 it's not too bad with the seats folded up
x2

5'7, Slept in the jeep when I went camping, wasn't to bad. Slept a good 8 hours.
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #89
lancer27
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the last time i slept in my yj was at a race at richmond, went to sleep in the trailer but it was "occupied" by my brother and his friend, so next best thing was my jeep, woke up the next morning and thought why the heck am i in here.....lol but for the most part i would sleep between my classes at school in there, just put the my back to my door and my legs on the passenger side, not to bad for an hour or two.
97 tj i6 3.5 RE superflex lift. hp dana 30 4.56 gears ausie up front. dana 44 33spline alloy usa shafts arb rear. tom woods supper short sye and matching cv ds. 35x12.50x15 goodyear MTR's with kevlar. york OBA system. Metal Cloak High Arch tube fenders!(my favorit mod!!!)
lancer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #90
stpeteTJ

I hate to resurrect this thread..again.., but while looking through here I didn't see anyone mention folding down the windshield?

During the summer I just spray the interior/dash down with alot of deet bug spray,recline the driver/passenger seat (prefer passenger because there's no steering wheel, but if I have a friend with me she gets the passenger seat), lay down, and put my legs over the dash. I'm 6'4/250lbs and this works great for me. Only provision is I try to take a pad to put over the dash, because the hard plastic makes putting your legs (well atleast mine, they're heavy) there uncomfortable.

I have also done the hammock thing that's been mentioned with the ENO hammock I take backpacking. I decided the windshield method is less work for relatively equal comfort.
stpeteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.