Sleeping in a Jeep Wrangler - how bad could it be?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Sleeping in a Jeep Wrangler - how bad could it be??

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
dirter

Sleeping in a Jeep Wrangler - how bad could it be??

For the first time last weekend, I slept in a Jeep Wrangler while camping. Sleeping in a Jeep is highly un-recommended. Here's the picture:

Assuming you're going to try to sleep in a half-reclined front seat - you weren't going to sleep in the back, were you? Have you ever seen the back seat of a Jeep? It's about 3" across and about 2" deep. So, if you're not going to drape yourself over the hood (which you considered, in order to get the heat from the engine), you're sleeping in the front seat. Now, in order to be able to recline the front seat a bit, there can be nothing in the back seat. For someone like me who takes about 800 cubic feet of equipment and gear along on a camping trip, this poses a problem - where does the stuff go if it doesn't go in the back seat?

You really don't want to know. At this point, just assume you get the front seat to recline.

You get in the seat and close the door. Or, try to close the door. Your arm and body are in the way, so you lean over and close it, getting your arm hair pinched in the door anyway.

Once in the seat, you realize that - yes, it's cold. Of course, somewhere in the 30 boxes of equipment you've brought along, there is a sleeping bag. Let's assume you find the bag (remember, it's not in the back seat anymore.....). You take it out of its bag, and as it expands, it fills up every remaining square inch of the very un-spacious Jeep. If you thought moving 30 boxes out of the back seat and figuring out what to do with them was difficult, you now realize your real dilemma: how in the dickens are you going to maneuver around inside your cramped, teeny cocoon and get inside the sleeping bag while sitting/laying down in the chair, while your arm hairs are still caught in the door? You ponder this, but realize you must act quickly - much longer, and hypothermia will lull you into a false sense of warmth - which, at this point, you almost decide that fake warmth would be good enough.

2 hours later, don't ask me how, you find yourself mostly inside the sleeping bag. You just start to feel the chill of the air dissipate. Only then do you realize that...you forgot to go to the bathroom.....

Back in the Jeep, having gone through the exercise once, you are happy to find that it only takes you 30 minutes this time to get situated in the sleeping bag. You settle in for the night.

Just as you drift off, you wake up - what's that sticking in your back side? Oh, a seat adjustment lever. No problem, just a little shift here and there. Drifting off again...sweet slumber...Ouch! Why did they put the stick shift there? What a dumb place...Ah, warmth is almost yours...why do you feel movement? The wind wasn't that strong...Oh, bother, you accidentally clicked off the parking brake and are headed off over a cliff - in hindsight, you should have chocked the wheels. It appears you are headed for the trailer parked next to you...well, it will serve them right, all tucked in a comfortable bed like they are with a heater running...let's see how they like to come out here in the cold and see what went bump in the night.

All night long, little decisions: if you move, you displace the warm air pockets - but if you don't move, your muscles will continue to scream out in pain for having to adjust to the contour of the car door, the dash, and the center console that seemed so friendly and comfortable while you were driving.

Morning arrives. You open the door and fall out it turns out your feet were still in the sleeping bag. The people in the trailer next to you ask how you slept in that thing. You cheerfully reply, "Oh, it's actually quite comfortable."

dirter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, try doing that in a YJ. . . My front seats don't recline (one position fits all), and I don't have a back seat, or carpet, for that matter. . . I thought it might be alright to sleep on the floor in the back, with my legs between the front seats, but that didn't quite work out either. At some point, I realized I would be better off just staying up all night. Much less muscle ache in the morning that way. I was exhausted, but at least I could still move without pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #3
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're sleeping in the Jeep, why so much camping gear then?

Don't bring so much stuff, and then take out the back seat and the gear and lay down in the back.
Unread 12-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
LazySailor
2007 JK Wrangler 

the key to sleeping in a wrangler is rum. drink plenty of rum, and then the jeep sleep will go just fine.
Unread 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Honestly the few times I've had to sleep in my Wrangler went over pretty well.

The first one was when I was driving home for break one year and I needed to sleep for a bit.
I'm 6'2" and was able to curl up comfortably enough to fall asleep in the backseat for 4+ hours when I only meant to sleep 1.

The other times when I had the backseat out I would stop at rest stops late at night and once again was able to fall asleep pretty easily in the front seat.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

If you have that much camping gear, why not bring a damn tent?
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've slept in the back seat of my Jeep before. It wasn't too comfortable, but it worked. I'm 5'10". I had my head over the passenger side wheel well and my feet up on the other one. This was winter, so I draped a coat over myself as a blanket. I was actually just killing time laying down there, but ended up falling asleep for about an hour and a half.

I wouldn't recommend it for a full night though.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

being 6'5 i never had to sleep in the tj i had... but i were to do so i probably would have done one of two things:

- with the backseat in i would sit on the drivers side of the backseat and push the passenger front seat all the way up in the tumble position and prop my feet up the best i could and sleep that way.
- with the back seat out i would do the same as above but with more room to do it in.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

With the unlimited and a hammock. Tie the hammock corner to corner the 60% split rear seat down and the passenger seat fully (as far as that goes) reclined..........................

I haven't tried it yet but will next summer.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I can get two people in the back of mine comfortably. Air mattress and blankets sure beat a tent
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
AhhhCobra
2006 TJ Wrangler 

haha I slept in my rubicon two winters ago in New Hampshire during this power lines trail trip from nh to vt...it wasn't too bad...I ended up getting pneumonia and was out for almost a month...worth it
AhhhCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I take naps in mine all the time. I'm 6'4" and have no trouble falling asleep for a little but in it. I could see that it would be painful overnight.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
JeepCreep117
1996 ZJ 

Me and my grad class went to a campground after exams and had a bonfire. Everybody but me and a few friends ditched to go to a cabin so we hid the booze they forgot in our trucks/jeeps (we left the wine coolers,), and moved their tents deep into the woods. Some people came back for the liquor and we told them the mounties confiscated it and they went back empty handed. I slept overnight in the back of my ZJ. It's actually more uncomfortable then I thought it would be. I slept in a sleeping bag, but I was parked on a hill and I had two ticks crawl up my leg. I slept till 4 in the morning because people drove from the cabin and tried to steal our food. Long story short we got ditched so we stole the booze, hid their tents and we chilled with enough alcohol for about fifty people.
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
JeepCreep117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

this is why i drive a cherokee. plenty-o-room. ive slept in the front seat, back seat, cargo area with back seat reclined, and even on the roof on warm enough nights. there are advantages to slightly more spacious vehicles.
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
xjandyj

this pic was posted a long time ago on some forum,,,,guy was doing the cross country thing i think,,,brought a cot with him,,,,if you are tall just put feet out the back
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.