scary times - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > scary times

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

scary times

what is the wierdest most bizarre scary thing you have seen wheeling or have happened to you while wheeling or stuck some where

freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well just last weekend I was going to a place called Blue Sink which is a huge sinkhole in the Ocala National Forest. It's a popular swimming hole, where there is a rope swing about 30 feet up. We get to the place and come to find out a 15 year old girl couldn't hang on, and hit the sand at the bottom, before she got to the water. She broke her femur in half! It wasn't really "scary" but was very stressful even though I wasn't the least bit involved.

They ended up airlifting her out, which was really cool because we were there when the chopper landed, and watched how the whole situation was handled by the fire rescue, police, etc.

FOR SALE-XJ Tail light housings corner lamps.
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

way back in the backwoods of KY, in clay county or there abouts. wheeling on alot of fire roads, county roads and trails only the locals know. heading to a place called Pilot Rock at night. a huge rock overhanging the side of the mountain where you can see 11 miles of the KY river on a clear day.

about halfway up to the rock, stopped to BS and had to clear some brush from the trail. middle of the woods at like 1am we hear what sounds like a woman screaming from the top of the hill. it was blood curdleing to hear. everyone got quite, and a 5 minutes later we heard a fainter scream sound. never saw a light, never heard anything other than the two screams and never found out what it was.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
08_Sahara16
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Long story short, I got stuck right by a creek. Torrential rain storm came and the creek rose about 4ft. Water got into the cab but mainly in the trunk area. Thought I was for sure going to loose it.
Luckily I found a guy with a tractor who pulled me out before things got any worse.
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
good_ol_boy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
way back in the backwoods of KY, in clay county or there abouts. wheeling on alot of fire roads, county roads and trails only the locals know. heading to a place called Pilot Rock at night. a huge rock overhanging the side of the mountain where you can see 11 miles of the KY river on a clear day.

about halfway up to the rock, stopped to BS and had to clear some brush from the trail. middle of the woods at like 1am we hear what sounds like a woman screaming from the top of the hill. it was blood curdleing to hear. everyone got quite, and a 5 minutes later we heard a fainter scream sound. never saw a light, never heard anything other than the two screams and never found out what it was.
Sounds like it might have been a panther. That sound will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!
good_ol_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lost 4wd, trying to come back up a soupy nasty road (only way out), kinda slid out a bit coming over a weirdly cut water bar, straightened back up with no problems, and looked up to see my passenger (my uncle), pale as a ghost. Apparently, when I slid out, I almost dropped into a pit of some sort. Walked back to look at it, and found that my back tires were only half on the road when I slid out, the other half was hanging into the abyss over this hole about 15 ft diameter, about 20ft deep. At the very bottom of the pit there was a bunch of rocks and snags and stuff. I ddint realize how close my jeep came to permanent decommission that day.
marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
IndianScout
1995 ZJ 

we were on a fire road here in ND, out of the bushes on the passenger side pops out this huge bear..

it stood in front of the truck looking at us for maybe 30 secs then just walked off..
IndianScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
HeadlessGiant

We were camping out in the desert in New Mexico and at like 3 AM my buddy got up to go take a leak and there was 10-20 illegals walking past our campsite 2 of them with M-16s. He put his hands up and backed into the tent and they took off running.
HeadlessGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
ervinbrandon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post

What you heard was probly a Bobcat those things sound just like a woman screaming and sometimes like a baby crying i know i grew up in the mountains
ervinbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I was following my brother up a trail that I had no business being on at night. He stopped to spot me up a tough hill and all of a sudden, my rear fell into a hole and my front wheels started to come up. He jumped on the hood and pulled me down and hung on while my wife got out and piled some rocks behind my back tire. I would have rolled down a steep 300 ft+ hill.
p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
garand555

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessGiant View Post
We were camping out in the desert in New Mexico and at like 3 AM my buddy got up to go take a leak and there was 10-20 illegals walking past our campsite 2 of them with M-16s. He put his hands up and backed into the tent and they took off running.
Southern NM? That kind of stuff happens down there. I won't go down near the border without a rifle.

As for scary things while wheeling, they're all my own stupid fault. Being up on two wheels while doing stupid things. Taking a road that had a cliff face on one side, a 300' drop off on the other, a tilt with loose shale that required my front tires to be cocked towards the cliff face to keep from going down. You know, stupid things!
garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out thread " Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? " 190 pages with neat stuff.

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

Me and some friends (same ones that were with me when we found the old nuclear aerospace place) were out wheeling some super long trails one day. We had been wheeling literally all day and half of the night (this happened at around 11:30-11:45) when he ran out of gas. My other friend got his jerry can out and was filling him up when we started hearing stuff running around in the woods. The guy who had the empty gas tank grabbed three guns out of his truck (he always keeps a rifle, Glock .40, and 12 gauge with him...he has never said why ) and I got the Glock. We got back in out trucks and Jeep (one has a 1995 F150 and the other a 2004 Chevy Colorado Z71) and started driving again. About five minutes later we saw someone run across the trail about 50 feet ahead of us. We stopped and I ( and probibly them too) cocked the gun. Right when I was putting the gun down, some guy runned out in front of our convoy and jumped on the hood of the Ford. I had never seen any convoy of 4x4 vehicles go so fast through the woods. It was more of a rally then it was a trail ride.

I got tons of stries of random stuff that has happened to us while out wheeling. I should make a book
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701 View Post
Check out thread " Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? " 190 pages with neat stuff.
What is the link?
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGrand
Me and some friends (same ones that were with me when we found the old nuclear aerospace place) were out wheeling some super long trails one day. We had been wheeling literally all day and half of the night (this happened at around 11:30-11:45) when he ran out of gas. My other friend got his jerry can out and was filling him up when we started hearing stuff running around in the woods. The guy who had the empty gas tank grabbed three guns out of his truck (he always keeps a rifle, Glock .40, and 12 gauge with him...he has never said why ) and I got the Glock. We got back in out trucks and Jeep (one has a 1995 F150 and the other a 2004 Chevy Colorado Z71) and started driving again. About five minutes later we saw someone run across the trail about 50 feet ahead of us. We stopped and I ( and probibly them too) cocked the gun. Right when I was putting the gun down, some guy runned out in front of our convoy and jumped on the hood of the Ford. I had never seen any convoy of 4x4 vehicles go so fast through the woods. It was more of a rally then it was a trail ride.

I got tons of stries of random stuff that has happened to us while out wheeling. I should make a book
Where did that happen at? I live close to your neck of the woods and I don't want to go out there wheeling at night!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.