Post your Jeep rescue stories - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Post your Jeep rescue stories

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

We used to live on a fairly gnarly, windy, steep hill, about 1/3 of a mile up it. It was paved to just past our house, then it turned into gravel. For years the whole road had been gravel, and most of the people living above us (we were the first house) didnt realize the difference that pavement would make when the snow hit. So, first snow hits, about 2 inches, the pavement gets slick as snot, of course, and that afternoon some of it melts off. Then it all froze overnight, and snowed heavier the enxt day. So now we have pavement with 1 inch of solid, slick ice on it, and 6+ iches of fresh snow on top of it. Most people tried to come up, couldnt make it up the first straight stretch, and left their cars at the bottom. But we had a few who managed to get past the straight stretch and into the windy, nast sections, and all of them lost it and went off the road and down the bank, into the trees, etc. So, as the first house, we took it upon ourselves to act as rescue crew to everyone, which was actually quite fun. Most people we pulled out with the Silverado (fairly built, almost 500 hp, 1,000 lb/ft of torque), but we had a little bronco II slide into a ditch just below a culvert. After a huge battle with this thing, we had a strap going from the bronco to my dad's silverado, which kept slipping down the hill, so we hooked the service truck to the Silverado (Chevy 2500 with industrial Warn 8,000 lb winch). Both trucks ended up sliding, with this little bronco not moving a bit. So finally the Jeep comes to the rescue. My brother had an 89 Xj on 33x12.50 Kumho KL-71's, with a Warn 8,000 lb winch on the front. We spooled that thing out all the way, and it was enough to get over a crest in the hill (the service truck was kinda sitting on top of the crest). Of course, it took a good deal of jockeying and stuff, but eventually, we got everything out and driving, thanks to the little Jeep. that was when I decided that I was getting an Xj, lol

marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
fireman070472
1998 ZJ 

I drove into town to get some dinner sunday nite and as I'm leaving a s-10 blazer pulls up beside me. A kid jumps out and asks me if I want to get my jeep muddy, to which I replied a stern no, cause I hate mud. He then proceeds to tell me he is stuck under the bridge and can I pull him out. So, I follow them out to where he is stuck and I immediately have my doubts. All that was visible was his grille, he slid over the edge to the creek. I backed up to him, took a look and made no promises while he hooked up my strap. 3 yanks later I had him and his xj back on level ground.
fireman070472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
Julien_04_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stolen Jeep/ Tow Truck Recovery

Last year in May I went for a drive on a trail by my house. My wife and I came across this Jeep in a mudhole.

My first thought was that it was stolen because the windows were down and anyone who cared about the Jeep would put the windows up in case it rained or something. Erin thought I was crazy. I took the plate number and called the city police and sure enough it was stolen.

So I didn't have a camera when I first came across the Jeep. After I called it in, I met a cop at the beginning of the trail where the pavement ends, and brought him in here. As I was getting close to the Jeep on the right side, my front tire sank into the same hole and we were stiuck. I winched us out within minutes, but my Jeep was full of water on the drivers side. Thank goodness for floor plugs. Mr. Policeman stayed dry in the passenger seat. I brought him back out to his cruiser to wait for the tow truck while I went home and got my camera.

So it took a while for the tow truck to arrive, because they obviously needed a 4x4 to get back there, and the nearest one was on a call in a town about 30 kms away.

The guys didn't want to get wet, and since I was already wet from getting stuck before, I put the strap through the rear wheel and hooked the winch line on. (there was nothing else to hook onto)

Minor water damage...

I felt bad for the contractor that lost his tools

We needed to turn the Jeep around to get it on the wheel lift.

We didn't make it very far when the truck driver went through a deep mud hole and his wheel lift got stuck deep in the mud on the way up the other side.

The truck driver didn't want to let go of the Jeep and try and get his truck out by itself, so he frigged around for half an hour until he finally gave in. He still couldn't move so I offered to winch him out.

We used his snatch block and the winching began

And he's out!

I stayed attached to the truck while he winched the Jeep out and hooked onto him again. Off we went again.

When we were almost back out to the end of the trail, the driver tried to go around another deep hole and was bouncing around alot and the Jeep fell off the back and into the hole. By that time, we were close enough that the ramp truck could back in and winch it onto the ramp. Start time: 9:30PM, End time: 12:30AM

Last edited by Julien_04_TJ; 10-08-2010 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Tried to fix pictures
Julien_04_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
Julien_04_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I need more posts to post pics. Is there any way to show the pictures?
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien_04_TJ View Post
I think I need more posts to post pics. Is there any way to show the pictures?
Host them to photobucket, and put in the links with [IMG][/IMG] tags. If they dont show up, someone will be able to quote you and they will show up.
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
Julien_04_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
Host them to photobucket, and put in the links with [IMG][/IMG] tags. If they dont show up, someone will be able to quote you and they will show up.
They are hosted in Picasa, shouldn't that work? or does it have to be photobucket?
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien_04_TJ View Post
They are hosted in Picasa, shouldn't that work? or does it have to be photobucket?
Try using the embed link rather than the direct link.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #23
Julien_04_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Try using the embed link rather than the direct link.
I tried that too and it didn't want to work for me. So I just put the link to each pic in the post. If someone figures it out, by all means fix them to show the pic, and let me know how you did it! hahaha
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think you want to go to picasa, find the image, right click on the image and select "copy image location" (in firefox). (For internet explorer, you want to right click on the picture, select properties, and copy the entire "Address [URL]") After you have copied the image URL, click the little mountain/picture icon and insert that copied URL. The result will look like this. BTW, nice recovery!

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #25
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

a while back i came across a guy on the shoulder of road waving his hands. I stopped and saw what he was waiving about. All i could see was the front bumper of a ford taurus sticking out of the ditch. apparently his girlfriend was sitting at the bottom of his driveway for a while talking on the phone with the car in reverse. when she finished talking she went to pull forward into the road and ended up backing over a mailbox and down the embankment. I pulled up at the same time an f-250 with a trailer pulled up. the guy in the pickup was skeptical of my stock TJ being able to pull the taurus out. he had a trailer and it was obviously easier for me to manuver into position to pull the car out.
I pulled forward up to the Taurus, put it in 4lo and put it in reverse. i had the girls boyfriend go down the ditch and hook up the taurus with my strap. The pickup driver was blocking traffic for me and i pulled her right up and out of the ditch without too much effort. (she never got out of the car the whole time) the boyfriend thanked me and i went on my way with a big on my face.

i have also run across a pregnant woman in a minivan who ran off the road with about 1/2 an inch of snow on the ground. pulled her back onto the road. when i was unhooking the tow strap from the bumper the stupid woman started rolling forward. i jumped out making sure to let her know i was pissed. then made sure she put it in park. by the time i unhooked the van her husband pulled up to rescue her. he was driving a carolla .

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #26
Julien_04_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
I think you want to go to picasa, find the image, right click on the image and select "copy image location" (in firefox). (For internet explorer, you want to right click on the picture, select properties, and copy the entire "Address [URL]") After you have copied the image URL, click the little mountain/picture icon and insert that copied URL. The result will look like this. BTW, nice recovery!
That's the ticket! Thanks a lot!!
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #27
lily

please enjoy our rescue pics during the tour http://www.jeepchina.net/forum/viewt...extra=page%3D1

it's a group tour organized by our club-JEEPCHINA in October 10,2010. one Rubicon could not move when wading through the river. by the way , we also brought 2 male models and 2 female models as well as professional photographic equipments for photography. for the details , you can see our club forum, and it's Chinese, for the English, you can check our English website:http://english.jeepchina.net
lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #28
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i stoped to help a 4 door tacoma on the side od the road the other day he blew his rear end and was siting in a ditch so i pulled him up and out of the ditch and through a parking lot with the rear locked up it was kinda fun
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #29
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While it isn't pulling someone from a hairy situation, it is helping someone when in my XJ.

Was on my way to work and noticed a minivan pulled over. Was a single mom with two kids and she said she thought she hear a noise similar to a flat tire. I looked at the front tire, fine. Started walking towards the back rear and it was blown out. I told her I would change it to the spare. I drove home to get my gloves, floor jack and four thinking that would be all I would need.

Get back to the van and have her drive it to a empty trailer's driveway. Got the hubcap off and started working on the tire lugs. Got the lugs loosened and started to lift it with my floor jack. My jack barely lifted it enough to clear the flat tire. Tire comes off and I start to lower the spare (Dodge minivan where you have to turn a nut to lower it). I start to lower it and the cable lowers, but not the tire.

Great, so I thought I would grab jack handle for her van and pry it down. Open up the jack cover and the jack and everything is missing. Turns out she was given the van and didn't know much about it. I get my OEM jack thingy out and start to pry down on the spare. I knew the spare was low on air when I was prying it. Prying wasn't working so I kicked it, did anything I could think of. Finally as I was giving up, it gave and fell. While rolling the spare, I press down on it and hear air coming out as I did. She didn't have any money and I didn't either to help her. Also, by this time it was getting close for time for me to get to work. So I offer to take her somewhere and not leave her stranded and take her and her kids to a friends and I go home and change and go to work.

Later that week, noticed she was back at her van. She was able to find the money to get a tire and was getting it changed. They had to go get the tire so I did some things and waited for them to say they were on the way back so I could change the tire for them.

Knowing that I didn't get enough lift the first time, I brought my lift blocks and changed it.

That is my only Jeep rescue story so far. Need to get a recovery point and strap for winter. I was once rescued by a 4 x 4 in my car a few years back.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #30
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99goldxj View Post
While it isn't pulling someone from a hairy situation, it is helping someone when in my XJ.

Was on my way to work and noticed a minivan pulled over. Was a single mom with two kids and she said she thought she hear a noise similar to a flat tire. I looked at the front tire, fine. Started walking towards the back rear and it was blown out. I told her I would change it to the spare. I drove home to get my gloves, floor jack and four thinking that would be all I would need.

Get back to the van and have her drive it to a empty trailer's driveway. Got the hubcap off and started working on the tire lugs. Got the lugs loosened and started to lift it with my floor jack. My jack barely lifted it enough to clear the flat tire. Tire comes off and I start to lower the spare (Dodge minivan where you have to turn a nut to lower it). I start to lower it and the cable lowers, but not the tire.

Great, so I thought I would grab jack handle for her van and pry it down. Open up the jack cover and the jack and everything is missing. Turns out she was given the van and didn't know much about it. I get my OEM jack thingy out and start to pry down on the spare. I knew the spare was low on air when I was prying it. Prying wasn't working so I kicked it, did anything I could think of. Finally as I was giving up, it gave and fell. While rolling the spare, I press down on it and hear air coming out as I did. She didn't have any money and I didn't either to help her. Also, by this time it was getting close for time for me to get to work. So I offer to take her somewhere and not leave her stranded and take her and her kids to a friends and I go home and change and go to work.

Later that week, noticed she was back at her van. She was able to find the money to get a tire and was getting it changed. They had to go get the tire so I did some things and waited for them to say they were on the way back so I could change the tire for them.

Knowing that I didn't get enough lift the first time, I brought my lift blocks and changed it.

That is my only Jeep rescue story so far. Need to get a recovery point and strap for winter. I was once rescued by a 4 x 4 in my car a few years back.
my ex mother in law had a dodge minivan she got a nail in the tire and didnt have a spair so i put the one off my jeep on her van
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.