People Checking Out Your Jeep? Interesting Stories? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > People Checking Out Your Jeep? Interesting Stories?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

People Checking Out Your Jeep? Interesting Stories?

In the past I'd occasionally come out of a store and see some one taking a picture or checking out something I'd done to my jeep. I'd had people tell me they saw others doing it too.

In my most recent round of mods it's started to become more obvious. (I need to update my profile or post pictures or something)

Anyway, the kids noticed it and even mentioned it. They were making fun of one guy who was in a low Honda and his jaw had dropped while he looked at the bumper, axles, steering and stuff that was a little higher than he was seated. I probably have one of the more conservative rigs on this board too.

The funniest was yesterday when I had the dog in the back, had just picked up the kids and was pulling out of the school. A lady in a suburban was driving by, looked at us in the jeep and failed to notice the cars all stopped in front of her turning into the school. She had to swerve off the main road and avoided causing a major accident.

This really only started happening after my most recent major changes last week.

This is really funny to me that I have around $8K in a car that is getting attention and the majority of people on the road have more expensive, boring cars.

Anyone else have any funny stories or notice this?

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this seems to be a common conversation at gas stations and parts stores

"thats a real nice lookin truck man, must have put alot of work into it"

thanks, im always working on it

"all she needs now is a nice paint job and its all set"

why would i spend money on a paint job that would be destroyed in a day lol

"good point..."
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

While unlocking my jeep at a parking garage at my college campus, I had a pretty amazing looking gurl walk up to me while on her cellphone. She took the time to cross the street and put her friend on hold to tell me that she liked my jeep lol. I can only hope she was putting her boyfriend on hold to tell me she liked the rig.

My absolute favorite jeep admirer was a little teal sedan that pulled up beside me on the highway while my friend was with me. Another quite attractive woman rolls down the back rear window while we are going 60mph down the highway. I had my top off and she insisted on rolling down her window, leaning her torso half way out of the vehicle while waving just to yell "we love your jeep!!" while hanging out of the window going down the highway. It was mid afternoon and by the looks of it they were on their way to the beach, so I dont think it was late enough for the alcohol to be talking lol. And whether she was serious or drunk it was still great having my buddy there to back up the claim!!

Another priceless double take involved about a four to six year old kid at a gas station right after I pulled into a parking spot near the entrance to the station. Before walking in with his mom he promptly walked over while I was in my jeep and proceeded to give my 36" left front Mickey Thompson a giant hug. His mom peeled him off and apologized but I told her she has a jeeper in the making!

Other than those three the rest are all younger to middle aged guys proceeding to small talk at the gas station and parts stores about how expensive my tires must have been... how expensive the gas must be... etc.. etc.. etc.. I did have a guy however (jokingly of course) offer to let me drive around his new mustang for a day if he could drive my jeep around lol. On a seperate note, I get a little nervious when I walk up to my jeep in a parking lot and some tool is underneith it inspecting the driveline. I usually have a few choice words for the punk once I get out there. I don't like people admiring my rig from touching distance.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is happens to me too especially when I visit my friends in Pittsburgh lol. I have a couple stories from one weekend trip actually.

I was stopped at a stop sign and some guy walked up to me and offered to buy it on the spot and told me to name a price (thought I was gettin car jacked bc it was a sketchy neighborhood lol)

The look on people's faces when they hear the hum of my tires (then swampers) through downtown. Actually had a guy speed up through the street to get next to me to honk and give the thumbs up and a fist pump lol

On the return trip on the turnpike I look over to see some little kid screaming at his parents "It has a fire extinguisher, It has a fire extinguisher!" lol

Great times. Makes all the work and headaches worth it for sure.
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One night I was at work bartending. Somebody that night must have liked my Jeep, because they decided to take part of it home with them (soft doors).

But seriously, I like in the summer when a girl looks over and yells "Nice Jeep!" My girlfriend, on the other hand, does not appreciate those stories all that much.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
Makes all the work and headaches worth it for sure.
Ain't that the truth! Works as a great distraction from the every day paranoia and agravation of driving/living with a heep. My jeep always seems to run better after a compliment or two at the gas station.

Oh and I forgot one more story... This one is kinda silly... While driving down the last stretch of road before my house, I had a lady follow me home. She was a rather large woman who wanted to know where she could buy tires like mine so she could put them in her back-yard for her kids to play on like a jungle-gym... rofl... I told her unless she wants to pay $320 a piece for her jungle-gym she may want to consider recycled or used tractor tires haha.
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Usually at stop lights, thrice I've had girls say "Hey, I like your Jeep!" and one that asked for my number, the gf gets jelly.

As for dudes saying it well,
This one time I got to work and a guy said he liked the Jeep. I said thanks and went inside, I had forgotten my water bottle locked in my console so i went back to get it (mind you I had only been gone 5-10mins). I walk back out and see the dude in the drivers seat fiddling with wires under the dash.............
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
As for dudes saying it well,
This one time I got to work and a guy said he liked the Jeep. I said thanks and went inside, I had forgotten my water bottle locked in my console so i went back to get it (mind you I had only been gone 5-10mins). I walk back out and see the dude in the drivers seat fiddling with wires under the dash.............
I would have gone to jail for excessive use of force while protecting my property and the other guy to the hospital if that were my jeep... Thats about all I have to say about that.
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Walmart Parking lot:

(Middle aged guy scurrying over between cars as I am climbing in)
Him: Hey that is a nice jeep you have there.
Me: Thanks.
Him: (starts scratching his arm and fidgeting) Good color that is one of them new ones ain't it? (Referring to the JK)
Me: It's 20 years old.
Him: Oh, them tires factory?
Me: Yeah, they all came with 33" tires from the dealer.
Him: Well it sure is pretty. Hey do you have $20 I could borrow?
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
I would have gone to jail for excessive use of force while protecting my property and the other guy to the hospital if that were my jeep... Thats about all I have to say about that.
Yep, pretty much... A coworker had just gotten out of his car (two spots) away and had seen the dude in my Jeep and saw the look on my face... The guy figured what was happening and said "oh ****" and ran.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Priceless Jeep moment last weekend. Took a ride with my 6 year old son, went to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. Bunch of kids were all "Cool Jeep". My son very proudly proclaimed "my dad built that, I helped".
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha ha, thats a good one for the memories
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
slick2570
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had just bought my Rubicon and drove it two hours home. Was at a gas station and a car pulled up with two guys and two girls (I assume both are couples). The girls aren't bad on the eyes at all and the better looking of the two said 'nice jeep'. Then proceeded to ask if I 'get my lovin on the run' (because I was wearing a Steve Miller Band shirt). I smiled and went inside. I've loved my TJ ever since.

-Eric
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

surprisingly my paint faded zj gets compliments all the time when its running right lol my neighbor who is cool as hell and hot as hell mind you i have only talked to her briefly a few times since she moved in my choco lab loves playing with her boxer haha but this is how the one convo went as im working on it...

her: thats your jeep?
me: ya
her: i was wondering who's it was because i never see it move and its always dirty
me: how would i get it dirty if it didnt move?
her: good point... i do like it tho
me: thanks its one of my 3 mistresses lol
her: mistresses?
me: (pointing to my red integra ) thats one of them, the other is my race car im building hahaha
her: (laughing) better then cheating i guess
me: ya more expensive in the long run lol
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
I was stopped at a stop sign and some guy walked up to me and offered to buy it on the spot and told me to name a price (thought I was gettin car jacked bc it was a sketchy neighborhood lol)
I will talk to anyone who wants to complement and look, but this angers me to no end. I absolutely hate people who try to buy my stuff and low ball me. It is like I have a big "For Sale!" sign on it. They come out of the blue and want to give 4 grand for something you easily have 12 into. I understand I will not get back what I have into it if I had to sale but if I wanted the measly 4 grand I would have never bought the jeep to start with. I usually just tell people i'll take 15 for it, this sends most back to their Geo or Miata.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.