An old story about my first JEEP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > An old story about my first JEEP

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Hawkeye1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

An old story about my first JEEP

It was around 1991. I had bought a 1971 CJ-5 from a guy in Putnam County NY. At the time I was living in Westchester County. It was dark green, had an odd fire 225 Buick V6 with a PTO winch that works perfectly.

Well back before they built the SAMS club in Elmsford NY off 287 Exit 2, it was trees and trails. So my very best friend and I in the fall ventured over there and did some off roading. We came across some dudes who did the same the night before...drunk. While they were playing around the got their Chevy blazer(full size) stuck in the puddle. So I offered to whinch them out.

At first we tried to pull them out, but the JEEP was being dragged to the chevy. So they had a tow strap and we attached it to the back frame of the jeep and wrapped it around a solid tree. Well, we pulled the chevy out.

Sadly the whinch broke. The cable wrapped back up to it while rescuing the chevy But it built up on one side and seazed up. Now it would not work at all.

They had n money but the owner took my number and i did his. Said he would get us a case of beer. I was like ok, would appreciate any help in the cost of fixing my whinch instead.

So being a young guy, not much of a motor head then, I took it to get fixed. Cost me $400 bucks. I was ripped off, because i later found out it was just a damn sheer pin that broke, very easy to fix. I went back and yelled at the jerk or ripped me off in front of several customers. Made it very clear I would spread the word on what he did. And I did, went to several local auto parts stores, etc. I was very angry. On top of that the number the chevy onwer gave me was bogus too.

About a year later I ran into one of the dudes who was the chevy owners friend at a an auto part store. I cornered him and said PRAY, your friend never bumps in to me. I will be taking $400 bucks out of his ars... Never did find the guy unfortunatly.

Well I was hot head back then. Not anymore, only when I bash my hand or finger while working on a car, lol.

But being ripped off like that, I decided that I will fix my cars as long as I have the tools, etc. That 1971 CJ-5 is a story in its own. I did a complete frame up restoration and modification to it. Rebuilt a 231ci V6 too. I learn SO MUCH about cars.

Then in 1994 I sold it, needed money, etc. But I had the JEEP bug, so in 1999 my then girlfriend, now wife, said you need a new car, go get a JEEP. I was like, yeah... I guess. I inside I was like HELL YEAH!!

Now I have the TJ sport for 15 years. I love my cars, but I have to say this has been the most dependable car I have ever owned so far. 172K miles, and only recently dumped 1000 bucks into repairs. Still on same clutch, motor running as strong as ever.

Thanks for letting me relive the past..

Hawkeye1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for sharing your story with us - I'll never forget my first Jeep
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.