Non conventional uses for recovery straps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Non conventional uses for recovery straps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Non conventional uses for recovery straps

What have you used your recovery strap for that is not recovering a vehicle.

Here is mine.

Had to change the oil in the push mower so I used a ratchet strap on the front and the recovery strap on the back.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I used two of them to lift the cab off the frame on my Chevy Luv.

Got my riding lawnmower stuck in the mud. No way I was going to get anything close to it to pull it out. Used an old clothesline to extend the strap. Tied the clothesline to a tree and one loop on the tow strap. Looped the other end of the strap around the rear tire not getting traction and it became a winch line.

Used mine for winching a fallen tree back off the roof of the garage.

Lots of others. Seated a tire on the bead by cinching a strap down that was wrapped around the tread.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
tritt007
1993 ZJ 

hangin deer and elk
tritt007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

pulling out 4 wheelers from some urban wheeling. pulling out tree stumps.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
srdart67
2002 WJ 

I hit a 60 pound raccoon and pushed in the lower core support on my old daily driver pretty good. I wrapped the tow strap around the lower beam and the other end to a tree and gave her hell in reverse. not a tow strap but i drilled a head bolt into a stud in my garage and used a ratchet strap to pull out the quarter panel of my 65 new yorker during restoration
srdart67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
tritt007
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdart67 View Post
I hit a 60 pound raccoon and pushed in the lower core support on my old daily driver pretty good. I wrapped the tow strap around the lower beam and the other end to a tree and gave her hell in reverse. not a tow strap but i drilled a head bolt into a stud in my garage and used a ratchet strap to pull out the quarter panel of my 65 new yorker during restoration

A 60 POUND RACOON?????????????????????????????????????:confus ed::confus ed:
tritt007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Kuestey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lol wait what?

XJ w/ 4" Rusty's and 33" KM2's -she be green and mean
Kuestey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99goldxj View Post
What have you used your recovery strap for that is not recovering a vehicle.

Here is mine.

Had to change the oil in the push mower so I used a ratchet strap on the front and the recovery strap on the back.

There's a much easier way to do that. Run engine 2-3 min to warm up oil. Remove oil fill plug/dipstick. Tip mower on side with dipstick down and drain oil into catch pan. While its tipped to the side, remove and sharpen the blade. Replace blade, tip mower back up, refill with oil, replace spark plug, clean or replace air filter, and start unit. I can tune up a push mower at work in under 15 min. You'll find on the newer push mower engines that there isn't a drain plug on the bottom anymore. With all the self propel drive systems, mulch domes, etc on the bottom, its pretty much impossible to reach them without disassembling half the mower anyway.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
nj666z

Landscaping: Small tree and shrubbery removal.
nj666z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritt007 View Post
A 60 POUND RACOON?????????????????????????????????????:confus ed::confus ed:

????:confu sed:
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

not recovery but ratchet...used to true (pull into square) the walls of a prefab buidling four walls were up and made a trapezoid insetad of square used the ratchets to pull in opposing corners until square

never build alone........

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
DKJEEPTJ1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy just hit a racoon and it snapped the entire plastic molding from his pontiac
DKJEEPTJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
SLATEGOAT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Them Mama raccoons can get big...... hit one at night..... came around the bend and it stood up .... wack on the front diff...... dented the cover in......
SLATEGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.