never WANTED to own a jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > never WANTED to own a jeep...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

never WANTED to own a jeep...

I went to school in glendale heights IL. for automotive at a college called UTI. it was an experience for me since i was from northern wisconsin. with every college you have the people you become friends with and then you have the people that you look at and think "how did you ever graduate high school?" well one of those kids was named mike. and everyone made fun of the guy. he owned a 93 jeep grand cherokee. in class every question he asked pertained to his jeep and honestly, irritated the crap out of me! He just would never shut up about his jeep! well a year went by and i graduated and moved back home. as a gift to myself i decided to buy an SUV. so i went to the local dealerships and asked to test drive some. but i made it VERY clear i did not want to even LOOK at jeeps (they reminded me of the retard from school). the salesman said okay and showed me to some explorers and blazers and similar trucks. after test driving some i was happy with the explorer. but as i knew he would, the salesman asked if i wanted to try an 04 grand cherokee just for (crap) and giggles. my girlfriend at the time said "common, just try it"...... against everything in my body i said sure and grabbed the keys. i started it up, drove it out the driveway, and down the street a bit. within seconds of being on the road i instantly fell in love with everything about it. from the sound, to the interior, to the dash, shifter, steering wheel, seats, ride and everything you become to know and love about being a proud owner of a JEEP. i drove it around town for at least 45 min. when i pulled back into the dealership, before the salesman could even say anything i yelled SOLD!!! from that day forward i have been probably one of the proudest owners of a JEEP i know. Though 3 months after that, a drunk driver blew through a red light and totalled it out on christmas eve. but that was no problem, after i got the insurance money i went back to the same dealership and bought another one. this one was the same year but just a different color. i have gotten 3 other friends to buy jeeps and i have had so much fun outfitting it with all sorts of different accessories throughout the 2/3 years i have owned it. i have never loved or been more proud of owning anything in my entire life. i guess you could say i owe it all to my ex. i guess sometimes women have a 6th sense for something good when they see it. just thought yous might get a kick outta this story. I live....I ride...I am....JEEP!

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
mdw66nova
2002 WJ 

Jeeps due tend to outlast woman.
mdw66nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
engine351
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I was never crazy about Jeep Wranglers. I thought they were cool with the doors and top off, but that was about it. My truck died on me and I needed a new vehicle on limited funds. My friend was going through a divorce at the time and offered me his 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for $6500. I had driven it before and thought it was pretty cool. It ran great and looked great. About two years later, I'm absolutely obsessed. I lifted it 4 inches, big tires, intake, exhaust, etc. I'm glad I bought that Jeep, and I plan on keeping it for awhile.
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

so you and me kinda have the same experience lol. thats cool.
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I always liked the idea of the Wrangler. The whole top down/doors off look is certainly classic, but I was never truly motivated to get one until I needed a 4x4 for winter. The little guy was the right price and in good shape so I drove it home. After the first time taking the top down/doors off I realized what it is about this vehicle that makes it more of a lifestyle than just transportation. Now I count myself lucky that I decided to take it home because I was honestly indifferent at the time. Certainly not anymore I can assure you of that.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
JBWrangler06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchness View Post
I always liked the idea of the Wrangler. The whole top down/doors off look is certainly classic, but I was never truly motivated to get one until I needed a 4x4 for winter. The little guy was the right price and in good shape so I drove it home. After the first time taking the top down/doors off I realized what it is about this vehicle that makes it more of a lifestyle than just transportation. Now I count myself lucky that I decided to take it home because I was honestly indifferent at the time. Certainly not anymore I can assure you of that.

This is exactly what just happened to me. 2 weeks ago we had 17" of snow in a day (Saint Paul MN). I couldn't even budge my car (2005 Infiniti G35 coupe). Luckily my buddy came up to visit that weekend with his Jeep. He dragged my car down the road to a safe spot, that Monday I was on this board and at the dealerships, Wednesday I had traded in my ride for an 06 TJ. I feel like a kid playing on the roads haha.
JBWrangler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
frankenjeep
1994 ZJ 

I was a huge chevy guy. I was bow tie thru and thru. One of my best friends owned a wrangler. He and I went four wheeling end of story.. I've been a jeeper ever since.
frankenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
XJWren
1994 XJ Cherokee 

my 91 xj(R.I.P)was my first vehicle my step dad got for a loner car for his shop. i wasn't big on jeeps at all tell he brought it home it had a little 3inch lift on it i thought it looked pretty cool but it need help the kid who had it broke the tcase and when my dads shop closed and a dick who worked for him stuck a water hose in the valve cover. So my step dad didn't want me to have it he tried to get me trade it for a kia rio or a OZ lancer but the kept change prices. week later we had it running and i fell in love with it i babied every day tell i got my license i went mod crazy and was hooked forever i even got my gf hooked she got a 2wd 94 xj she is soon getting a wrangler . i lost her this January and miss her dearly but she lives on in my 94 (I live...I ride...I am....JEEP!)
XJWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
torque
1996 YJ Wrangler 

I al ways wanted a jeep, since I was a little kid. I had a bunch of toy trucks and a toy jeep the jeep never got hooked to the tow truck.
As I got older I got into muscle cars and what not but I still wanted a jeep.
When my little brother bought GTA vice city, I used to play it all the time, I would cruise around in the jeeps.
My parent always tried to convince me not to get a jeep, afraid I would roll it or something stupid, then it was the gas prices always they hated the idea.
In 2006 I finally bought a jeep and I drove her everywhere. I couldn't have been happier.
In november of 2008 my jeep was totaled because a girl in a nissan pathfinder was too busy texting to stop at a red light. Yesterday, I bought my jeep back.

My father who never wanted me to get a jeep knows how much I loved my jeep, and had a tear in his eye when I told him I was getting her back. I am going to frame off it and then I will drive it until I am no longer able to climb into it. The only way I will ever buy another car is if jeep releases a pick-up.
torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

awesome story man. thanks for sharing. i like to hear how people became to love their jeeps
Unread 12-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Darkshine
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My first taste of jeeps happened in 2004 when I was hit head on by a 2002 yellow Jeep Wrangler. I'd always said not just no but HELL NO to ever driving one, as even seeing a yellow jeep would trigger panic attacks, and I'd have bad nightmares of reliving the accident. Even today seeing the mangled picture of that jeep makes me somewhat panicky.

Well, fast forward to this year, when my beloved 1989 Chevy truck finally bit the dust. My husband kept telling me, "You know, you would look damn sexy in a jeep, top down, hair flying." I kept telling him that I wasn't interested, but our local used car dealer had a few on his lot and I agreed to test drive them. First was an auto 2003 that I didn't really like... but then I got behind the wheel of my 2001 Wrangler. I don't know what it is about my girl but it just felt perfect, the way she shifts, handles turns, it just felt like a perfect match. Plus she was in my price range, had low mileage and the original soft top in almost pristine condition to boot. Now, I honestly couldn't imagine driving anything else, and I'm trying to talk my dad into getting my baby sister a jeep for her first vehicle (16 and about to get her permit, god help us all).
Darkshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

wow, got in an accident and was terrified of the things and here you go out and buy one, and love it. now that is a story you tell people. its funny how many of us jeep owners never intended on owning one or even at one point "refused" to even try em. its funny how life works.
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Darkshine
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jeepstang View Post
wow, got in an accident and was terrified of the things and here you go out and buy one, and love it. now that is a story you tell people. its funny how many of us jeep owners never intended on owning one or even at one point "refused" to even try em. its funny how life works.
It was a matter of conquering my fears. Since driving my jeep I haven't had any more nightmares thankfully, and I don't think I want to give it up. Still apprehensive about yellow jeeps though.

All in all, I'm really happy with my jeep.
Darkshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
OntarioPatriot
2008 MK Patriot 

When I was a wee lad -- this would be about the mid-1970s -- I had a toy Jeep truck just like one of the posters above. That must have laid the dormant seed for my eventual purchase.

So I only owned cars -- Celebrity, 328i, Sentra -- until the last piece of garbage died in December and I needed to buy something. I finally decided that it was time to buy a Jeep and I did.

My God, everyone tried to convince me not to. Don't buy Chrysler products...Jeeps are garbage...you aren't a Jeep guy (apparently cashmere and Jeeps don't mix)...I heard everything. I just smiled, bought my Jeep and love the thing more then almost everything else in my life.

I'm turning 40 this coming June and I think the Jeep is the material representation of me wanting people to go to hell with their opinions. Jeep freedom, ha ha.

Is it a mid-life crisis if you buy a Jeep instead of a Corvette?
OntarioPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
1990YJnewbie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know about the mid-life crisis--I was 41 when I bought my first one. I've always been a Chevy guy, but have been driving a company-owned Ford for the last four years. The policy changed about using the truck for personal use, so I needed something to drive around on the weekends. I was looking at buying a camaro, but my wife's uncle had a great deal on a 90 YJ. I bought it thinking there would be more room in the back for the kids. The brutal summer heat last summer made me realize that A/C is important (Maybe the result of old(er) age). So I upgraded to an 04 TJ with A/C. Kind of glad I went with the Jeep. At least I don't have to worry about speeding tickets now.
1990YJnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.