My Jeep may be taken from me - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > My Jeep may be taken from me

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #31
CarolinaPoetic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Being in the military you should be able to use the lawyers on base, Also lawyers were you are the one doing the sueing are normally paid by a percentage of what you get so make some calls around for a lawyer that may want 20% that way you know they will fight for as much as they can get. Then you get your jeep and a jeep fund. win win

Unread 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

First off: I'm so sorry this is hapening to you. That SUCKS!

Secondly, a few recommendations:

- go talk with the Sheriff again and ask what the repercussions of driving it are if you get stopped. Ask if he'd write a letter to show any officer that may pull you over. No harm in asking.
- contact a lawyer (looks like you already did) and ENSURE that you incur no costs. Tell the lawyer to write a letter to the auction house and the stealership telling them, not indicating that you may, but telling them that you will be asking for costs in a small claims civil case.
- file a civil small claims case. This will get the ball rolling.
- DO NOT write, post, say anything about this dealership that could in any way be construed as liable. You've been very good in 3 pages of posts to not name the entities involved. Keep it that way.
- any mailings you do or your lawyer does, do them via registered mail so that you hve proof they received the mailing(s).
- use the "consumers help" form of the local news channel. Just clarify for them that you don't want to liable or slander them.
- keep at it and don't give up!

Good luck. Keep us posted on updates/progress.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #33
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope all goes well. Like posted above, talk to the Sheriff again. The biggest thing is that you have the title, if the sheriff says you should be able to drive it, keep a copy of the title with you. If they do end up trying to take it from you, keep it in the garage or driveway and take it down to as many pieces you don't mind dealing with. Large parts are hard to transport, and it will cost them more money in labor to put it back together than it is worth. Being that it is on your private property means that it is theft of private property even if you don't have a title (which you do).

Depending on your laws, guns make the fight even more fun since repo guys don't want to deal with pieces (both parts and weapons). The fact that it is on a military base would also make it hard for them to attempt to forcibly remove it from your possession.

Once again, good luck. I hope to see it settled without much pain.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
workforXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good stuff guys.
Yea Never want to slander that gets costly. I have talked to about four lawyers and being that this is not a high paying case its not of a whole lot on interest. I do know that what Van said about small claims is always a possibility. There again though the dealership is out of state and so is the Vehicle registration. Gonna cost alot to get theat done unless I hire a lawyer to take care of it which puts me back at more than the vehicle is worth. Repo men can't get the vehicle mainly because there is no money in it for them slash I have the title. It is on private property. The only way this dealership is going to get it is by court order and even then they have to get a bonded title. There sure is alot of details and avenues in all of this. Big thing here is it is a civil case on the vehicle side. The Police can go after the criminal charges on the auctioneer. The vehicles and titles are civil though.
workforXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #35
1preacherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I am sorry you are going through all this. I recently got a jeep with a whole mess on the title end. I did get it worked out but not before about 8 months. I feel for you , but I say get a lawyer, then pull the axles and leave it on blocks. Good luck repo man!

Ronald Reagan

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]My build Thread[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-whiteout-1008697/[/url]

A proud member of the "Polite Society"; Ask me how to join!
1preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #36
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by workforXJ View Post
Good stuff guys.
Yea Never want to slander that gets costly. I have talked to about four lawyers and being that this is not a high paying case its not of a whole lot on interest. I do know that what Van said about small claims is always a possibility. There again though the dealership is out of state and so is the Vehicle registration. Gonna cost alot to get theat done unless I hire a lawyer to take care of it which puts me back at more than the vehicle is worth. Repo men can't get the vehicle mainly because there is no money in it for them slash I have the title. It is on private property. The only way this dealership is going to get it is by court order and even then they have to get a bonded title. There sure is alot of details and avenues in all of this. Big thing here is it is a civil case on the vehicle side. The Police can go after the criminal charges on the auctioneer. The vehicles and titles are civil though.
I am assuming that you have a contract for the sale of the vehicle to you?
With that contract you registered the vehicle, correct? Not only did you register the vehicle, you obtained the title and have it in hand. What is the date that the auction reported it stolen to the police? Compare that with your date of purchase and registration.
They cant report a vehicle stolen that they dont own the title to. I would contact the Plano (I believe thats where you said this stems from) PD/Shefiffs office and send them copies of the said documents).
As far as driving the vehicle, as long as you have all of your paperwork with you, ie registration and title (i would keep the title on you not in the jeep) if you get pulled over and produce those docs, you shouldnt have any problems.
I hope this is able to be reolved soo though. Otherwise, get the media involved in TX.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #37
MUDRFR
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Possession is 99% of the law...

Drive it, enjoy it and thanks for serving our country!

I would get local news involved..they would love a "Buyer Beware" story for the nightly news...
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #38
djacobs28056

So I read through three pages to find out this was never concluded (Here at least)

Bump for update!!
djacobs28056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #39
workforXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update well,

I still have the Jeep, There has been no action from the dealership except for a couple of calls telling me "legal action", Nothing has happened. The Police that put it on the list will not return my calls. I still have title and state keeps registering to me. Again its not worth the money to get legal over this. The local cops know and don't care, and I'm running the wheels off of it right now. Not much i can do. I have done all I can up to this point. If somebody makes a legal claim I will obey, still sucks though.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If they ever decide they want the Jeep back, tell them fine, you will release it. When they pay $50 a day storage since the day you found out it was "stolen". Tell em you will drop the storage fee if they leave you the **** alone and take it off the stolen list.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #41
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What you can do here is calculate the actual time spent on this idiocy, multiply that number of hours by...say, $15 per hour. Call this figure A.

Add up the number of days you have owned the vehicle in your name and multiply this by say $50 per day storage fee (make it the same rate as your local impound price or slightly less...just to look nice). Call this figure B.

Get a reasonably padded estimate from a base lawyer (go talk to JAG and see who and what they recommend as you may be entitled to free legal service as a member of the US military). Call this figure C.

Add A+B+C and add whatever civil damages your lawyer deems appropriate (it will end up being more than the vehicle is worth by a quite a bit and this is the point). File separate civil cases against both dealerships and the auction company including the final sum (call this figure D). Then go file separate cases with regards to fraud on the original dealership, the auction company and your dealership. You can also file cases against all involved police/sheriff departments. Speak with your local news-source and work with your lawyer to patch together a strong, non-libel laced news story about this.....then watch the domino's fall! Any lawyer with good sense will get involved in this case because it means guaranteed payment, free advertising and publicity, and an interesting, novel case. Most will accept payment following settlement (no money out of pocket for you).

Don't get pushed around by these assclowns. I am a licensed salesman and inventory admin for a commercial truck dealership. There is no reason why you cant come out on top with this one...this is obviously illegal on their part and likely involves title fraud and insurance fraud. Some of that is state and some of it's federal laws being violated. In any case, you will win with just your basic documentation and an investment of time. The fact that they even said that you would have to pay them and additional $2500 to just release the vehicle already titled in your name is simply extortion. The report of "stolen" after the title was cleared, released, and transferred is a false police report. Have charges placed against them and watch them buckle and piss their pants like bespecticled librarians facing enraged drunken Vikings. It's called WINNING....get some.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
workforXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well the three year update. It is now off the Stolen vehicle list. Yep three years zero dollars and finally it is free
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by workforXJ View Post
Well the three year update. It is now off the Stolen vehicle list. Yep three years zero dollars and finally it is free
good to hear!
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #44
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yay!

Btw, was USAA any help? They've been great when I've had issues, I was curious whether they were able to help.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #45
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just read through the entire posting....Glad yo got everything worked out. I did want to say that in a lot of states, when you file a claim in court against someone for anything like this, you can also ask for the the court coasts incurred by you. AKA lawyer, fees, your time spent, ect. So it would not have cost more than the jeep was worth since they would have had to pay everything.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.