My Jeep may be taken from me - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > My Jeep may be taken from me

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeep may be taken from me

Here is a story for all of yall out there.

The other day I get a call from the used car dealer where I bought my Jeep. He says it is being reported as stolen as a result of an auction scam.
Apparently A Subaru dealer in Texas took the car on a trade in. They then gave it to auction to be sold. that is where my used car dealer bought this vehicle. I then bought the vehicle. After getting the clear Texas title in the mailing I proceeded to modify my jeep as any good jeep owner usually does. The Subaru dealer has reported the vehicle as stolen from them because the Auction never gave them there money. I called the Subaru dealer, I was told if I gave them 2500 bucks they will take it off the list. What the crap is that???? I can now not drive my jeep for the risk of getting pulled over for a stolen vehicle. Now I have the Title, I have the bill of sale, I have the registration. The police Dept. will not take it off the stolen list. Now what guys? Any help out there? Any Lawyers out there????

workforXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you contact the dealer/auction you purchased it from, what do they have to say about this?
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I did,
They are not willing to fess anything up or make anything right. They are in the same boat as me as far as purchasing the vehicle in good faith. Now the kicker is the auction was unlicensed, so both dealership have dealt with an unlicensed auction.
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
OzJ33p
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have access to free legal advice?
If so, then that's ya best bet at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, even if you have to pay, I'd still be getting legal advice.
OzJ33p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The dealerships are liable under those circumstances. You will have a hell of a hassle, but... First thing to do is go to the police, show them your records and tell then your story. Since you didn't buy it at the auction, you shouldn't have any issue. After that, call up the dealership, tell them you know it was a mistake, and they have 24 hours to make it right, and if they don't, you'll be filing suit, not just against the dealership, but against the owners, salespeople, the auctioneer, etc. Then actually go to a lawyer and do just that.

They know they're liable, they're just trying to get you to swallow the bill for their stupidity.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
K9trnr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get a Lawyer....Get a lawyer....sue everyone involved, it is the only way to get yourself off the hook....it's just like "Dendrophobe" said.....but get a lawyer and that way everything you do is documented and the case is filed in a court of law.

"Things will remain the same until they change"

1995 YJ Wrangler
1989 F350
K9trnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow you guys are right in line with everything I am hearing.

I called the local Sheriff up here in Maryland where I currently reside with the US Military. He said he is not impounding it cause I have the Title.

I also talked to a lawyer. Sounds like my first step is a personal letter stating to stop this action. If that does not work we will follow up with a letter from a lawyer and then legal action.

This sure is a crap sandwich.

I know I have some avenues though calling my congress rep as a military person. I just hate to have to go through all of this. Its going to cost this guy more than this Jeep is worth.

I have also notified my Insurance USAA and they are looking into it. Should hear something today on that.
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You wouldn't happen to be on Pax River would you?
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
g-off70
2000 WJ 

all of your stuff is in order, so there shouldnt be anyway for them to take it. like it was said earlier, they are just trying to get you to get the blame for their mess up
g-off70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I am right near that river scary good detective work
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the insurance hot on the trail right now. Not sure what is going to happen next. I had to drive it today just up and down the street it is killing me staring at me in my driveway.
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you see a moderatly modified red XJ driving around that's me! lol. I am a bit south of that base. If you are staying in Maryland for a while, you should look at hardrockcrawlers.org, it's the local club (I'm not a member yet)

I hope you get it all worked out soon enough. You should post the name of the subaru dealership, so that people here know not to buy from them.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I have not gone down the road of bad mouthing the dealership yet but I am going to have to do something soon. Well when this or if this all gets sorted out I plan on getting the jeep out for the weekend. I'll let you know. I saw the website and looks like these guys have there stuff together. I am only running thirty ones so I can't get into all the hardcore stuff but at least it is a place to talk Jeep for a bit.
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

This sounds more like a 'civil court' issue between the Subaru dealer and the auction company. The car was never 'stolen'. Subaru signed it over to the the auction, who sold it to the car dealer, who sold it to you so its yours... It doesnt sound like your problem at all to me.
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
workforXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I agree it is a civil matter. The problem is the police won't take it off the stolen vehicle list until it is resolved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.