My first time off-roading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > My first time off-roading

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
gwak
1994 ZJ 

My first time off-roading

Well, mine isn't as interesting as some on here, but it will provide a few good laughs. Me and a friend of mine(who has a lot of off road experience), took our Jeeps up into the hills a while back. We snaked our way up through the winding road that took us into the mountains. We finally get to this fork in the road, and he told me one side was very rocky and one side was steep(which was the one I chose).

So we are driving up some fairly steep slopes and going along a bunch of twists in the road then things got sticky. The "road" was on an incline, so both of our Jeeps were really tilted, and I started getting a knot in my stomach. His was at factory height but mine has a tuff country suspension, so my center of gravity is a few inches higher, which did not help me out. After this spot, we started climbing a VERY steep hill, and half ways up my tires just started spinning in the gravel. I put the brakes on, popped it in 4lo, and my jaw dropped as it climbed right up the hill.

After getting to the top, the "road" made a curve and went straight along on a pretty good incline, that even walking on was difficult. I slowly crept along and could feel my heart pounding, because my Jeep felt like it was going to roll down the mountain at any moment. I kept going a little further and I could feel the Jeep start to slide off the path and down the mountain, and I stopped right where I was, got out, and almost shufted my pants. My friend was a good way ahead of me when I saw him stop right when he got stuck between two trees. He came back and I told him that he needed to back it out because I had no experience. He slowly idled it out of the incline and started backing it down the hill and the tires locked up and it pretty much just slid down the hill. He did the same for his, and he scraped his t-case pretty good in the process.

When we finally got out of there, I told him that I needed to go on something much less challenging. While I don't have the feel for my Jeep off road yet, I don't like it when its starts tilting or sliding.

gwak is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.