My dumb moment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > My dumb moment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

My dumb moment

I am still young and i have already done more to my jeep 98 zj than many people. Not like modifications, but repairs. I was weeling with my friend ( he was in his wrangler, which is his secondary jeep) and we saw a large body of water. I was being a little cocky, so i said i would go first. the large log floating in the water shouyld have been a great clue, but i didnt realize it at the time. I made it all the way through when my engine clonked out. Long story short ( since i cant use alot of the words i said there) i was there for like 6 hours trying to get it to crank, but i found out later that i blew 2 pistons. I have them mounted and framed in my garage. It only took me and my dad 2 weeks for us to take out the engine, find one at the junkyard, and put it in. Looking back, i dont regret it happening, because now i know my 4.0 liter better than anyone should.

98zjteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
ImSuck

well that suck man at least you got a newer motor out of it.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

No worries. Lessons Cost Now if you pay for them more than once. Yep then you're a Dumb A$$
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
jipjip

our last wheeling trip, we had 3 rigs hydrolock their motors within a 2 day period!!!!
luckily they were idling when they ingested the water, so a simple pull of all the plugs, and a couple turns of the motor to blow all the water out ( funny, all of them filled the #6 cyl and all others were dry) and once all the plugs were back in, all 3 started right up, and finished the weekend. it's a worrying thing to happen out on the trails, and it gave me a much bigger repsect for water crossings, but it was good to know how well those 4.0l deal w/ water ingestion. i think any other motor would have just bent the conn rods, or damaged a piston instead of just shutting down.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah... some of us had residual problems, but the engines all ran great regardless!
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
Yeah... some of us had residual problems, but the engines all ran great regardless!
still having problems kyle???? what happened?, i thaught you were doing just fine....except for the blown tranny seal, and alternator!!!
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
except for the blown tranny seal, and alternator!!!
Haha yeah.. thats the problem. And this horrendous clicking / clonking noise coming from the front end while the engine is cold. Already drained / changed the fluid in the front diff, everything looked fine. I think it might be my front driveshaft, but other than that, everything is fine.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

We had a guy in our club get in some deep mud and he is getting a new engine, he didn't hydrolock, but we still make sure and got any water out of it...his engine now smokes quite horribly.
Here is the mud pit.

and his wife
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Why would they get in a mud hole at that speed?
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Willys2004

Buy a snorkel

Buy a "snorkel" to preven another submarine adventure.
Willys2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.