My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
BBJeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Okay tell me what you guys think. I was in need of a new ride because my last one's transmission was leaking bad and I didn't want to pour any more money into it. I got on craigslist and searched for a 4x4 for no more than $1500 I didn't have much luck all the ones that showed up were crap. Not searching for a Jeep just any 4x4 so I raised the price to $2000 and looked through those ads. I looked through all of them and found this little mother trucker in my back yard of Big Bear. He had it posted for 2 weeks but he didn't know I knew and he had it listed for $1950. I was like ok cool and it turns out he was only a few blocks away from me. I got there and checked it out, now he had it listed as a Jeep Cherokee Limited so that's what I pictured, but it was a Laredo still it looked good but was dirty from off roading. Now heres the funny part he spelled cherokee wrong on the ad so he didnt get many searches and calls. I get there we talk the talk and I had cash in hand. He didn't want to budge but I got him to lower it to $1700. There we some issues but no major oil leaks at all. I take it up the street after I paid him and it got sluggish and overheated. I was like **** please don't blow the motor! I got to my house and water was gushing from under the body and some in front grill. I ended up walking back to his house to argue and I got him to at least give me $120 back so I got it for $1580. This Jeep turned out to be a Search & Rescue vehicle in Big Bear and had all the etras one could want; a lift kit front and rear bumpers, 9,000 lb. winch, all kinds of spot lights and nice life in the tires plus he gave me the original set of rims and tires plus spare and a few other extras. This Jeep was listed with 179,xxx miles on it but it had 3,000 less so I was like cool. Turns out I just ran out of gas LMAO but the fuel gauge is crap then! It overheated because he say's these Jeeps run hot and so I have read. But there was an extra fan that helps it cool down and he said it's fine if you have that on. The switch he had on was faulty and shorts out if moved, so thats why it over heated. Luckily for me he said it had overheated on someone and they didn't buy it. Seems to be the thermostat housing is leaking no prob to switch out with a better one I found on ebay. The radiator might have a leak too but thats just another project for me and no problem. All the water that came out when it overheated was from the res over flow so I just added coolant. I ened up buy a part I don't think I need I change out the EGR valve and I'm SURE now it just needed gas. How often does the EVR valve have to be changed anyway? So that's changed, oh did I mention the tranny has only about a 1,000 miles on it. yeah he was fixing it up I'm sure but needed the money more. So what do you guys think? Did I get a good deal? I will post pics of it soon after I clean it up. Just let me know what you guys think. Thanks

BBJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Not too bad. Check the XJ forums for more info. I have a 91 and if you can swap to the 91 and up cooling system with out that damned purge tank, do it. Other than that, you have to fill these a certain way or you can get air in the system. Big ole bubble of air. And guess what a water pump doesn't pump, air. So when that bubble gets there it sits there a little while and doesn't move water. And can make it run hot. Otherwise, enjoy. Not too bad a buy, should be a decent rig.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
PlainolBill
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I got tired of my 89 overheating and put in a triply core radiator w/ two elec. fans thermo controlled. I can sit in stopped traffic in hot weather and let it run on and on and the temp gauge won't move off the 200 mark.
PlainolBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
BBJeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Tow Package Tranny Cooler?

This had the electric fan installed already next to the main fan with a toggle switch. Lucky for me this switch was defective and caused the ride to overheat and someone didn't want to buy it, I connected the switch directly to the ignition (I might swich it back but with a new switch*). I am ordering an all aluminum tripple core radiator, high flow thermostat housing, 160 thermostat, and a high flow water pump. I am also thinking of changing the "tranny cooler" which I found out not all xj's come with only if they got the factory tow package. Sweet!

I'm pretty sure after then overhaul of the cooling system I will have the "coolest" XJ around. Keep the comments flowing...

UPDATE: I got my radiator in and I am going with a 192 tstat. I am not changing the heater core it is fine.

Last edited by BBJeep; 08-04-2011 at 03:19 AM..
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
BBJeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I bought some stuff from ebay today!

Okay the Jeep came already with the newer factory radiator all metal with a radiator cap and some other type of coolant res (obviously someone put it in aftermarket). I bought a 3 core all aluminum radiator sealed I believe and the original coolant res. I also picked up a hi-flow thermostat housing, and a hi-flow water pump. I was going to get a 160 thermostat but I'm seeing different reviews. I found out that the OEM is 195 and the engine runs at 200stable anything over and you are overheating. I found a 192 thermostat with a bigger opening for improved water flow. Tell me what you guys think.
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
BBJeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I got my 3 core all aluminum radiator yesterday and my hi-flow water pump today. I'm waiting on the hi-flow thermostat to come in as well as my new oem coolant res.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.