Longest Jeep trip?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Longest Jeep trip??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Longest Jeep trip??

In 1960 my Dad who worked for the US Forest Service got transfurred from Maine to Oregon--At the time he had a i believe 49 Jeep station wagon with the 4 cyl and a 59 Ferd Station wagon( that mom drove) It took 3 mos to drive the 3000 miles visiting along the way--Dad put in 3 sets of points (i remember) and we only passed 2 vehicles the whole way--The Jeep was loaded with all our heavy stuff as was the trailer we pulled --even had my soap box derby on top?? The vehicles we passed were a model A and an old truck going up a hill with a tank trailer--he passed us later --never saw the A again tho--It was hot as hell in the summer too--Fun trip--went to Yellowstone and grand canyon too. Dad traded the Jeep for a stock truck some time in 61 oe 2 as i remember--I was only 13 at the time of the trip but remember it fondly--Glenn

VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. I would have loved to experience that. Sometimes its not about the stuff you bring but about the lack of stuff you bring that makes it the most fun.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
NuclearCookies
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My wife and I took a vacation from Minnesota to South Carolina in my Willy's. It was great. Just turn off the radio and listen to the growl of the tires for miles after miles. I got waves through 5 states. Loved it.
NuclearCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

From Mahthas Vinyad ferry down the blue ridge parkway, natchez trace to Nawlins, Delta country, Big Bend, white sands nm, tucson az , monument valley, zion, moab, denver, giant sands, rockies, albaquerqie, santa fe, tucson in a non airconditioned J10 with am radio, a typewriter for job applications and ALL our belongings. 3 months one way and aint never looked back.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
rjerome
2009 MK Patriot 

We drive from Thunder Bay On, down to Toronto and up then off up through Northern Quebec and back home in the summer the trip usually takes about a week to complete...plenty to see and do!!!!
rjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Drove my ZJ from Charleston, SC to North Dakota, then down to Flagstaff, AZ. It was weird driving through all the different climates. Went for a surf session before I left, then got caught in several snow storms through the Dakotas and ended up out in the hot desert again. Quite the scenery changes! All of this right after a major overhaul to the Jeep, had to keep checking to make sure fluids weren't dumping out and no parts had fallen off for the first couple hundred miles. It was great, would love to do it all over again. It was really cool seeing such a cross section of the country, some of you folks sure live in beautiful places!
ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Took a Jeep trip for my honeymoon. We rarely have a chance to travel, so we went and saw a lot of the western part of the country. 3689 miles with a combination of camping and hotels. Since it was a solo trip and we were lacking in navigation, there wasn't much wheeling, just maybe 100 miles of dirt roads and a fair bit of snow in the high elevations of Oregon.

The route was from Washington to southern Oregon, checked out a lot of features in the Newberry Volcanic Monument and went up into the snow on Paulina Peak. Then we went east across Oregon into southern Idaho, checked out the Craters of the Moon National Monument which was impressive.

From mid-Idaho we went south into Utah, camped on the edge of the Great Salt Lake. Then east across northern Utah into Wyoming. From Wyoming we went south into Colorado, eventually getting to Colorado Springs (furthest from home). We cruised up to the top of Pikes Peak which was very impressive. From there we fiddled around on the dirt side roads and got back on the freeway into SW Colorado, took Independence Pass to Aspen shortly after it had been opened - there was 10' of snow and avalanche remains on the upward side of the road. Another very impressive road, scary at times but utterly beautiful.

Then we linked up with the freeway down into Grand Junction, west across S Utah, northern Nevada, and into North California where we camped again, from there headed home. Great trip, I'd love to do it again and take a month.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Turokman123
1984 CJ7 

My longest is about 7 miles. Too big for interstate
1984 CJ7 riding on 35" Wrangler DuraWalls, 4 inch lift, Dana 30 axle in front, with an AMC 20 rear axle. The Dana 300 two-speed transfer case; gear ratio of 3.54:1. Qualifications for a wave: 1: Top off 2: Any mud on the Jeep 3: Non-stock tires (not lowered) .
Turokman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
LJ-ROD
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The ol' lady and I took it to Gulf Shores for a long weekend about a month ago. ~ 800 miles... As soon as we got there (because I'm too dumb to check things before leaving) we discovered a corroded battery terminal that gave us starting trouble a few times. Got sunburned more from having the top down than we did at the beach. And for anybody who's been to Gulf Shores, we got a Jeep picture in front of the shark store. I'd say we did pretty good for our first Jeep trip!
LJ-ROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Liquid741
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bought my Jeep in Louisville, KY. I live in Ft. Wayne, In. so it was a 4.5hr trip...I need to take another long trip somewhere with my wife!
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

From western NC to St Pete Fl...and back. Took our time, traveled two lane most of the way. A lot of little towns and stops along the way.
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bought my TJ in TX. Drove it to WA, then to KY, then to AZ, and finally back to TX. Each of those was a one way trip separated by a couple years between (military and frequent moves). One final move in DEC; TX to WA again.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've done two 3000 mile cross country pcs moves solo while in the Navy. Virginia Beach to San Diego via Iowa and back to Virginia Beach towing a 1500 pound trailer. It's nice to see the whole country. Did each in 3 days.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

To Moab and back, all in all I traveled 2982.6 miles, spent $822.85 on gas, and averaged 13.9 mpg, which includes the time spent wheeling as well. The best mpg I got was 17.96 (coming down the mountain) and the worst was 4.9 (on Hell's Revenge), but the worst hwy mpg was 11.34. I did the return trip non-stop, 22 hours straight, Moab to my driveway....but loved every minute of it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I've driven from north NJ to Houston TX and back, it was about 1600 miles each way. It was a fun trip I took with.my dad years.back.

Also went on several trips from Houston to west palm beach fl.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.