Jeeping Saved My Marriage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Jeeping Saved My Marriage

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeping Saved My Marriage

A little over 5 years ago I bought a 1985 CJ-7 that was in decent condition. I went through the Jeep pretty thoroughly, made some necessary repairs and added some items to make it more off-road capable. I bought the Jeep because my wife and I were going through some tough times and I just wanted to get away from her any chance I could get. My plan was to get the CJ-7 reliable enough to drive away on weekends and camp/trail ride. I worked long hours in the week and didn't want to be at home where she would be found on weekends. Life had just drifted us apart and it seemed that we had nothing in common anymore. I would take weekend trips of jeeping and camping either by myself or with one of my kids and each time I would leave there would be a mixture of negative emotions. She hated me working on the Jeep after work and I hated her constant nagging about my hobby. At first my wife showed no interest in the Jeep or participating in my frequent excursions. Slowly, she began asking more and more questions about where I was going and would come to the garage to see what I was doing more frequently.

Finally, about a year ago later, she went with me on a trip. We spent the entire weekend off-road and camping together. I figured she would hate it and might even want to come home earlier than I had planned. I thought that she would decide that she didn't enjoy something that I liked doing and that would be the end of it. I was wrong. We spend time relaxing together while driving trails and the conversation started flowing like it hadn't done in a long time. I let her drive some and liked it. We took several more trips in the CJ-7 and each time it was a good experience for us and our relationship. After a while, we started thinking about how much more comfortable it would be if we had a newer Jeep. We were driving 200 miles one way to get to a good place to camp and trail ride and it started making more sense to get a Jeep that was newer and more reliable. About three years ago, we decided to sell our minivan which we didn't need anymore and our CJ-7. We combined the money from both vehicles and bought a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon. Since then, we have made numerous trips together and plan trips several weeks in advance. We are excited about every trip we take together. After almost 25 years of marriage at the time we had finally found something that we both enjoyed. With just the two of us together for entire weekends driving and exploring trails, we have talked more in the past four years than we did in the past 15 years. The jeeping experience has completely changed our relationship and outlook for the future.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Awesome. Glad to hear things are working out for you.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hooray for Jeeps!
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That is a great story and thanks for sharing it.

I find it is so important for a couple to spend quality time being together away from it all. And what a better way, then a Jeep out in God's country.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
shelli1571
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is awesome!!!
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
qvfd153
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the story!!
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool story. Look at that.... Jeeps bringing people together.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
awkrueger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good story sir. I'm getting married in Sept. and my fiance likes to drive the Jeep but doesn't like me working on it. Your story makes me think there is hope.
awkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
ADVSTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great story...One reason I'm regretting getting my baby back is all the memories it will hold of my Ex and all the long trips we used to take in her.
ADVSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations....... I am glad that a Jeep saved your marriage. I wonder how many more have been made better or have been saved by a Jeep?

My relationship with my wife wasn't as bad as yours, but after years of being married, the spark was weak. My Wife, like yours, at first didn't want anything to do with the Jeep or Jeep-n. Finally, she went off road with me, it was a bright sunny day, not too hot, not too cool, the top was down and the doors were off, we had lunch packed. You couldn't ask for a better day to be in the woods just taking the easy trails. I wasn't sure if the wife was having a good time or not, until..... we saw a Jeeper using a winch and she looked at me and said "that thing is handy, you should probably get one"... I knew she was hooked. My Wife & I travel a fair amount wheel-n over a 3-4 State area.. We always have a good time, even if the wheel-n isn't the best.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep
Congratulations....... I am glad that a Jeep saved your marriage. I wonder how many more have been made better or have been saved by a Jeep?

My relationship with my wife wasn't as bad as yours, but after years of being married, the spark was weak. My Wife, like yours, at first didn't want anything to do with the Jeep or Jeep-n. Finally, she went off road with me, it was a bright sunny day, not too hot, not too cool, the top was down and the doors were off, we had lunch packed. You couldn't ask for a better day to be in the woods just taking the easy trails. I wasn't sure if the wife was having a good time or not, until..... we saw a Jeeper using a winch and she looked at me and said "that thing is handy, you should probably get one"... I knew she was hooked. My Wife & I travel a fair amount wheel-n over a 3-4 State area.. We always have a good time, even if the wheel-n isn't the best.
Great to hear. My wife knows I love working on the TJ and going wheeling with our son. With him moving out and it just bring the two of us, I'm hoping I can get her to join me more often even if it means easier trails.

I'm hoping to get her and me to a camping trip to Turkey Bay this summer...
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good for you!!
My son and I are the jeepers. The Hubby is not. Wierd huh? Maybe Ill invite him to go along this weekend.

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My wife loves to go along for Jeep rides. She is an avid photographer and she loves it when we come across an old ranch or ghost town in the wilderness so she can take pictures.
p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I asked the hubby if he wanted to go for a drive in the jeep yesterday down an easy trail and he said " well I guess you can do that ..I'm not going."

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idared View Post
So I asked the hubby if he wanted to go for a drive in the jeep yesterday down an easy trail and he said " well I guess you can do that ..I'm not going."

Does he like to fish?, hike?, Geo-cache?, photography?, explore out of the way places like old cemeteries, old towns, scenic sights. If yes, maybe find the "perfect day", not too hot, not too cold and combine these activities with the Jeep. Maybe pack your Hubby's favorite meal for lunch and just go out and have a good time together.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.