How far have you ventured? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How far have you ventured?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #31
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Earlier this year I put 10,000 miles on my jeep during a trip around the US visiting friends and family. Most of it was highway, but I did some wheeling along the way in a few places.

Unread 10-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #32
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I drove my CJ-5 from Las Vegas, Nv. to Alaska, drove all over Alaska on and off road then down to Corpus Christi, Tx. two and half months of living out of that Jeep, no motels just campgrounds and beside rivers or lakes. Best trip of all time and the only breakdown was in a town called 70 mile in BC, Canada. The brake MC blew. Strangest thing was the bears. First couple of nights of having bears just outside your tent is a little nerve racking but then you just get used to it. I used black cat fireworks to chase them away if they started messing with the Jeep or the tent. Only place I didn't get to drive was all the way down to Mt. Denali because now the road is closed except to tour buses. I guess all the traffic was hurting the enviorment so it's busses only. It was a great trip but many many times I wished I had my 79 Cherokee and all it's room. I'm 6'5" and being in a CJ-5 for over 8k miles is hard to do.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #33
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I took my TJ all the way out to Washington State from Virginia over the summer. Stopped at all of the touristy places along the way. 3,000 miles is a seriously long way to drive when it was just my little sister and me... But it was fun

The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #34
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

my wife and I left Mahthas Vinyad desitnation unknown in our 81 j10 pick up. With all our belongings in the back it was riding on the axles. We went to the dump/recylcing center where some chick took our albums, biker jackets, ect ect. We drove down the blue ridge parkway, natchez trace, down the mississipi delta, over to big bend, up to mammoth cave, thru white sands, over to tucson, up to the grand canyon, arches zion, bryce, moab, ouray, boulder where it froze soild for four days, hightailed it back to tucson and still here 20 years later. after getting back to tucson we went to a gig in bisbee and there in all our clothes was a dj chick playing all our albums. finally sold the pickup after taking it all over the sw in late o6 for one of the first four doors....

in the j10 we broke engine mounts on chappaquidick beach and a beach in baja but it alsways got us home, or was home

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #35
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Drove from Southeast Missouri to Las Cruces, New Mexico to wheel for 3 days in the Chile Challenge. I think it was 1300 miles one way.

The next year my son and I took off to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari to wheel for 9 days. Awesome trip!! 1350 miles one way.

Made several trips to wheel in Alabama and Eastern Kentucky. They were 300-500 mile trips one way.

Since I don't have a trailer I drive everywhere. Makes you have to be a little more careful on breaking parts, or carry alot of tools and parts!
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #36
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

JMox I've done that route in reverse, visiting friends in Sarcoxie. Pretty country out thar.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #37
Carolina Mike
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Back in May of 2001 I jumped in the jeep and took a little putt from Trenton NJ down to LaGrange Georgia and back. With a trip from LaGrange to Cheaha State Park in Alabama as a side jaunt. Headed west on the Pennsy turnpike, then down 81 with a stop in Gettysburg, PA. Had a stomp around the battlefield, a good nights sleep and an early start. Next stop - Gatlinburg, TN with another hike around town, a few beers with new local friends, a tasty place to crash and another early start the next day. Then on down through the Smokies, western North Carolina and southwest through Georgia. Met up with an old friend and had a nice reunion of an evening. Next morning we head over to Cheaha State Park - hiking and camping for a couple nights. After that, basically a reverse of the trip down but squeezed it into a few less days. The last stage carried me from Abingdon Virginia all the way home. Total miles on the road - 2,000 give or take a few.
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #38
BBRider64
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Drove my soft top 84 CJ7 from Southwest Florida to Costa Rica with my good friend Dave. Best road trip ever! We had a ball and made many life long friends.
BBRider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #39
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Several years ago, and long before I understood a thing about vehicle physics, basic maintenance, or the surlieness of Jeeps I made a trip from Waco, TX to Lakewood, WA and back -- 4,500+ miles. I made this trip in a 4 banger YJ that was anything but "minty."

This was an adventure of a lifetime. Driving across empty west Texas I stopped to offer aid and water to anyone on the side of the road, because I knew it could be me. I didn't carry extra gas, which was completely stupid, and several times I ran out BETWEEN gas stations. One time I ran out and the jeep died half a mile from a gas station, and I coasted downhill right to the pump!

I delt with 109 degree blazing heat in Texas, and sub-freezing 15 degrees weather in Utah, a blizzard in Colorado, and torrential rains in Idaho--all without doors.

In the middle of my journey I got lost in Utah without a map or cell phone and spent a day wandering around national parks and old uranium mines. It was amazing and beautiful. Of course, being completely na´ve and a bit of an idiot, I went off-roading at every chance out in the middle of TRULY nowhere...I could have been lost for weeks at a time before rescue would even stumble across me. I would say I had a bunch of faith in God and my Jeep, but if I knew what I know now about vehicles I would have never made the trip in the first place. xD

On the way back I had even more adventures; a friend of mine flew up to WA to make the drive down (he is now a CJ owner). About halfway through the trip my starter died, and we had fun push starting the Jeep after every stop. One particularly hilarious incident occurred when we were in some small town in Arizona and the Jeep got away from us and started rolling downhill through several street intersections. The lights were times just right but you can imagine how much you would have laughed if you were sitting in your quiet car in the evening and see a jeep roll by with two teenagers chasing it frantically. Being older and grumpier I would now be pissed at my immaturity but the memory still makes me smile.

I don't remember where, but I did stop to have the clutch looked at because it was going out. They did an oil change and charged me (literally) my life's savings for the service -$700. I didn't know how I was going to pay for gas on the way back, but as it turns out they forgot to PUT OIL in the Jeep. 70 miles away from the shop I noticed the Jeep was running a bit hot. I put some water in the radiator and kept driving for another 20 before I figured out what happened. The shop refunded some of the money as an apology and I had enough for gas to get me home. I can't believe how tough that 4 banger was to drive about 100 miles in the deserts of the southwest with no oil...especially for having 150k miles on it already!

Anyways, I had a killer adventure doing this. So much so that in a couple years...I did it again! That old YJ eventually developed a minor electrical problem and wouldn't start while I was away on a business trip...unfortunately this was also during our move to another state. My wife sold it for $2400 and it was gone when I got there. I miss it very much and even though I have many awesome memories building my current CJ...I wish very dearly that I could have started with that YJ.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.