How far have you ventured? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How far have you ventured?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT72991 View Post
Bump to keep this in my replies, cool thread
I thought it was a great idea for a thread. I was hoping to get more replies.
I can not seem to get all my mechanical issues straight at one time so my stories of 20 miles down the road and stopping to fix something is not that interesting.

Maybe we should add future planned trips???

blacksheepjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
rjerome
2009 MK Patriot 

took our 1989 Laredo from Thunder Bay ON to Toronto twice the last time coming home the wiper blade indicator started smoking on Highway 11...The trip was a blast and the best part was when we were at a stop light people stared at our Jeep and were surprised that it made it...of course we weren't!!!
rjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hi guys - since leaving WI we have been to the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Monument and the Royal Tyrell Museum in Canada. We are outside of Edmonton tonight. Will try to post pictures soon. I get lots of Jeep waves from all the other Wranglers out there! My poor jeep is covered in bugs, but no wash until we get home. Only about 1,500 miles to go!

Chronicling our move from the Midwest to Alaska
bthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

took my Jeep to the Catskill's from central FL. then went to Long Island, and back to FL. did about 3000 miles that trip.

future plans: Orlando, FL to Prescott, AZ (and back) which will be about 4500 miles.
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
Chirpz

2007 WK 

LaGrand to St Pete to Battle Ground

We bought our 07 WK CRD in December of 08. We were broken down in LaGrand OR and found it at a dealer. Traded UP, hooked up our Trailer and pulled it to Texas to visit our Son before he deployed to Iraq for the 3rd time. Then we dieseled on to St. Pete, Florida to visit some friends. After a week there, we motored by to Battle Ground, WA.

On the trip, we were determined to take back roads where ever possible and avoid freeways. We crossed the Mississippi on a FERRY! That was cool. It was an old crusty on too.

On the way back we went to Lucin, Utah, (look it up, it is a very remote location) and pulled our trailer out into the desert. We unhooked and took the Jeep for a desert excursion. If we broke down there we most likely would have died there, the the Jeep got us through the mud and the sand OK.

In Carlsbad NM, we camped in the flat sagebrush desert. We took a two rut trail across the desert to find a spot, pulling out 16' self-contained, old, trailer. We kept seeing headlights in the distance coming our way. Soon we were nose to nose with a huge semi-truck that was hauling a drilling rig out of the desert, there were 5 of them lined up and I was blocking their way. You should have seen the truck driver's eyes when I turned the deep off of the two rut trail, climbed an embankment of packed sand and sage, and headed off across the land pulling my trailer. I never even spun a tire. With Jeeps, roads are truly optional.

It was a memorable trip.

Camped at lonely Lucin, Utah.
lucin.jpg  
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
dwayTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to follow Chirpz trip, but blacksheep since you're from Cartersville, maybe you'll appreciate this. I moved to Tucson after graduating from UGA in Dec. 2006, and bought my TJ off of ebay in March 2007. It was located just outside Philly, so I flew out and drove the Jeep back. I planned the trip so I would head south and get into Athens (where I was still paying rent at a house) around 11 PM, meet my buddies for one raucous night downtown, then continue on. Well of course I ended up going right through D.C. at 4 PM, and without proper planning for D.C. traffic, proceeded to spend the next 3 hours going approximately 14 miles. Then I encountered a massive rainstorm that forced me to stop and put my entire top up. So I finally pull into my old driveway about 5 AM to find about 10 of my friends (including a few from Cartersville), bless their hearts, passed out around the house, having tried to stay up and wait for my arrival. Naturally, they were drinking during the entire wait, so they lost that battle. So went to sleep for a few hours, had breakfast with some friends, and continued on my way. It was smooth sailing after that. Of course, this was when the Jeep was bone stock with 15k miles on it, so it was considerably more comfortable than it would be nowadays. I think the total was just under 2800 miles. I've made many cross-country trips, some in my old stock 2wd XJ, but this was the only one that felt really Jeep-like to me (no top most of the way).
dwayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We made it back home, after driving a little over 3,800 miles. Waaay to cold to keep the top off

Lots of pics up - just follow the link if you are interested!

Chronicling our move from the Midwest to Alaska
bthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #24
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn View Post
We made it back home, after driving a little over 3,800 miles. Waaay to cold to keep the top off

Lots of pics up - just follow the link if you are interested!
Look forward to seeing the pics. Glad you had a safe trip.
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
jayward
2000 WJ 

no where till i get the wj akebono caliper upgrades i need...
jayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying2275 View Post
In January the Navy transferred me from San Diego, CA to Virginia Beach, VA. I did the 2800 mile drive in 3 days while towing a 5x8 enclosed trailer.
Have you found a club to wheel with while here? There's a good group linked in my sig, if not.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
srdart67
2002 WJ 

I went solo from North Chicago to Litchfield MN and back last weekend with a leaky slave cylinder and no power steering and all the tools necessary to rebuild a jeep on the side of the road. Its about a 450 mile drive one way. It was my first trip farther than my one hour drive to work. I am going to try and find a good place to go farther next spring after I do a lot more work on the jeep.
Unread 08-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #28
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdart67 View Post
I went solo from North Chicago to Litchfield MN and back last weekend with a leaky slave cylinder and no power steering and all the tools necessary to rebuild a jeep on the side of the road. Its about a 450 mile drive one way. It was my first trip farther than my one hour drive to work. I am going to try and find a good place to go farther next spring after I do a lot more work on the jeep.
Like it done in a YJ!
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #29
JkE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Virginia Beach to Providence, Rhode Island and back 3 times in my wife's Liberty. Not too exciting. Planning on taking my JK from Va Beach to Southern Indiana in October and going through the Cumberland Gap instead of taking the Interstate the whole way.
JkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #30
headgasket
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Took my 84 CJ7 from Baton Rouge to Panama City Beach and back. Spring Break 99! No top, no doors. The carter carb was in such bad shape, I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running at stop lights.
Also took my 89 xj from baton rouge to phoenix twice.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.