How far have you ventured? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How far have you ventured?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 05-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How far have you ventured?

Would love to hear who has the longest trip in their Jeep. Trials and tribulations Older Jeep the better.

blacksheepjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to drive my older CJ's from Midland, Texas to the North Central area of New Mexico several times a year. It was about a 600 mile round trip each time. It wasn't so bad going up there and driving around for several days. The trip back home was tough because my body could hardly take the rough ride when I was so tired.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In January the Navy transferred me from San Diego, CA to Virginia Beach, VA. I did the 2800 mile drive in 3 days while towing a 5x8 enclosed trailer.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
bobjp

I drove from Michigan to the west. I went to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. I put about 6-7000 miles on the Jeep, and I started with about 190000 miles (or somewhere around there).

Beginning in Utah, my power steering pump slowly started to fail until southern Colorado when it got so bad I had to do something about it. The bearing was failing and if it continued the pulley would fall off. The nearest power steering pump was at a Napa in Colorado Springs (2.5 hours from me). I was on a time constraint to get to Denver so I risked the drive there, and replaced the pump behind the store. To be honest, I take pride in the fact that I was willing to fix this. Not that it was all that difficult, but because most wouldn't do it themselves.
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In about 2 1/2 weeks my son and I are driving my '05 wrangler from Wisconsin to Anchorage, Alaska. It's about a 3600 mile trip. We'll be pulling a small trailer and plan on taking our time to enjoy the trip. I have 10 days to make the trip. I'm hoping for the trip of a lifetime! Haven't driven my jeep since October, I can't wait to get back behind the wheel.
bthorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn View Post
In about 2 1/2 weeks my son and I are driving my '05 wrangler from Wisconsin to Anchorage, Alaska. It's about a 3600 mile trip. We'll be pulling a small trailer and plan on taking our time to enjoy the trip. I have 10 days to make the trip. I'm hoping for the trip of a lifetime! Haven't driven my jeep since October, I can't wait to get back behind the wheel.
Hey that trip would make a great thread to follow. Pics of your ride at different locations and a little commentary. A good real life read!
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I drove to Labrador City for a fishing trip. It was about 1,800 miles. It was an 18 hour trip, and 10 of those hours were on dirt roads.

At one point I came to a place called "The Burn." It's a spot that got leveled by a massive forest fire a few years back, and the road passes right through it. You could easily see 10 miles in every direction, and all you could see was black charred earth.

I passed through another place called the "Ghost Town." It's a section of road that used to go through an old mining town, then the mines got used up, so they tore down all the builings and left. But the road features that you would associate with a town, such as the raised median and the sidewalks, were still there. Pretty creepy to be cruising along at 60 MPH and suddenly come upon sidewalks when you're 200 miles from the closest town.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
fundabug

A couple of summers ago I drove my Jeep down to Houston from western Kentucky to visit a friend for a couple of days. Then I left from Houston and drove out across west Texas for what seemed like days. Then into New Mexico and just drove back roads and forest access roads up through the Rockies into northern Colorado. Most of the dirt forest access roads were in Colorado, where I basically just drove aimlessly camping out along the way. Then back down onto the prairies of Kansas and slowly weaved my way back home. All said and done I drove just under 4000 miles. All done with the top down & doors off.....All on 2 lane blacktop roads or dirt roads. I think I did about 20 miles on interstate roads and most of that was around Houston. Also, I didn't have a GPS at the time and all my navigation was done with an Atlas. That's a book of paper road maps for all you youngsters. Taking the back roads take you through all kinds of cool little towns, eating at little "mom & pop" restaurants, chatting it up with the locals. Can't tell you how many times I sat out in parking lots and gas stations talking "Jeep" with total strangers. It was one of my most memorable road trips ever!

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundabug View Post
A couple of summers ago I drove my Jeep down to Houston from western Kentucky to visit a friend for a couple of days. Then I left from Houston and drove out across west Texas for what seemed like days. Then into New Mexico and just drove back roads and forest access roads up through the Rockies into northern Colorado. Most of the dirt forest access roads were in Colorado, where I basically just drove aimlessly camping out along the way. Then back down onto the prairies of Kansas and slowly weaved my way back home. All said and done I drove just under 4000 miles. All done with the top down & doors off.....All on 2 lane blacktop roads or dirt roads. I think I did about 20 miles on interstate roads and most of that was around Houston. Also, I didn't have a GPS at the time and all my navigation was done with an Atlas. That's a book of paper road maps for all you youngsters. Taking the back roads take you through all kinds of cool little towns, eating at little "mom & pop" restaurants, chatting it up with the locals. Can't tell you how many times I sat out in parking lots and gas stations talking "Jeep" with total strangers. It was one of my most memorable road trips ever!
That is the winner so far! great story. Sounds like the perfect Jeep trip.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

69 Jeepster Commando topless and with straight pipe duals from Spartanburg SC to Talledega AL on 20+ year old bias ply snow tires and back.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheepjp View Post
Hey that trip would make a great thread to follow. Pics of your ride at different locations and a little commentary. A good real life read!
I would be happy to oblige. I all ready do a small blog about our move here to Alaska. This trip will be a big adventure, and my jeep is playing a starring role!

If you would like to read my blog you can find it at www.roseyinalaska.blogspot.com There are lots of pics of moose and snow-capped mountains. I really missed the jeep for the winter driving - cannot wait to be back behind the wheel!

A week from today we will be on the road!
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn View Post
I would be happy to oblige. I all ready do a small blog about our move here to Alaska. This trip will be a big adventure, and my jeep is playing a starring role!

If you would like to read my blog you can find it at www.roseyinalaska.blogspot.com There are lots of pics of moose and snow-capped mountains. I really missed the jeep for the winter driving - cannot wait to be back behind the wheel!

A week from today we will be on the road!
I signed up to follow your Alaska blog. Great writing, it was an enjoyable read.
I look forward to reading about your upcoming Jeep rip. Sounds amazing! Take care and be safe....
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheepjp View Post
I signed up to follow your Alaska blog. Great writing, it was an enjoyable read.
I look forward to reading about your upcoming Jeep rip. Sounds amazing! Take care and be safe....
Thanks for the good wishes, and I'm glad you like my blog. I'm a little nervous about the trip. I have never gone on such a long road trip and I will be pulling a little trailer, also a first for me. But we have plenty of time to make the trip, so all should be good!
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
bthorn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone who might be interested, I have started on my trip from WI to AK. Yesterday was our first day on the road and so far so good. I have an
'05 Wrangler soft top and my 15 year old son is my navigator. We are pulling a small homemade trailer full of personal junk.

I keep a small blog about our transition from the midwest to AK and right now the topic is travel. I will update it when I can. Which it what I'm doing now

you can find it at www.roseyinalaska.blogspot.com

Chronicling our move from the Midwest to Alaska
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump to keep this in my replies, cool thread
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.